Home In Canberra For Medium Sized Dog

I had an enquiry from a home in Canberra this week (I haven't homechecked as it wasn't right for one of my dogs).

They have had a purebred dog before who they took to obedience and agility for years, a Smooth Collie.

They are looking for a different kind of dog now, here's the criteria:

1. dog will be outside during the working day

2. dog can sleep inside at night (not in bedroom) but there is no dog door

3. don't want a clingy dog

4. no issue with hair shedding

5. would like a dog that chases balls etc

6. need an independent dog that is OK being only dog but MUST be good with other dogs so they can go to dog parks etc.

7. no Staffy types please

8. quiet dog wanted, not a barker

Unless a pound dog's history is well known, please don't send me any pics of pound dogs.

They have been to the RSPCA in Canberra but didn't find a dog. Usually it's a good idea to find a dog from foster care when you have specific requirements.

They are not the right home for a Sighthound. They are open to breeds so let me know if you know of a suitable dog.

Edited by dogmad

ARF have a few medium dogs on their site at the moment, also they can wait until after Saturdays and then go into the pound and look at the notes that the girls put up, also ARF have a dog wanted form on line for people who are looking for a particular dog.

There are a few avenues here in Canberra for people to find their new best friend.

Maree

CPR

Thanks Maree, they had looked at Petrescue for the ACT, they don't want to drive for hours to find a dog as they want to spend some time with the dog so I'm not necessarily going to put Sydney dogs forward atm.

T - they want a dog, they were open on the age (not old though).

ARF have a few medium dogs on their site at the moment, also they can wait until after Saturdays and then go into the pound and look at the notes that the girls put up, also ARF have a dog wanted form on line for people who are looking for a particular dog.

There are a few avenues here in Canberra for people to find their new best friend.

Maree

CPR

I'll let them know about the form - that's great!

Koolie Rescue has Tyson who is looking for a home and sounds perfect for them - Tyson is currently looking for a new home. He is around 18 months old with a lovely personality. He too is looking for freedom, fresh air and space to find his feet and have a play. He loves a cuddle!! He is micro chipped, de-sexed, wormed and vaccinated. He is currently in foster care in Echuca living with several other koolies. If they think they can give Tyson a new forever home, please pm me if they are interested. Koolie Rescue rehomes dogs for free. New Owners can have dogs on 4 week's trial and they pay for the transport between them and Echuca. Koolies are not clingy but they do like to be with their people. They are also clever and like a lot of physical and mental exercise. We like new owners to commit to training and providing plenty of exercise which can be ball throwing, agility, herding, flyball or whatever as long as it requires the dog to think. They like to be inside with their owners when they are home but are not generally demanding and don't get under your feet.

tyson.jpg

Not necessarily - I have a koolie and exercise her with balls and sheep. I am 66 and not particularly mobile. They are very adaptable dogs - they are welcome to come and meet a couple here in Canberra to see what they are getting into.

Edited by Perry's Mum

Alright, I will send the info through and see what they say. The only reason I thought he'd be too energetic was that their last dog was a Short-haired Collie and they spent years doing obedience etc with him and didn't want another working breed/high energy type.

The other thing is that they work and the dog will be on its own for 8 or so hours each day. Wouldn't Tyson need a companion?

Edited by dogmad

Not necessarily providing they leave him with toys and exercise his body and mind before or after work. Koolies do have an off switch and I find that providing I leave mine with a job to do, such as protecting the house, she is happy enough playing in the garden on her own.

Hi,

Do you think a Maremma would be suitable for these people, or do you thing too big? One of my workmates contacted me today about one of his friends who "inherited" a Maremma and they now want to find him a new home. All I know at this stage is that the dog is a Maremma and is male. I have asked for more information. I am in Canberra, so am assuming the dog is too.

Regards,

Rebecca

Hi,

Do you think a Maremma would be suitable for these people, or do you thing too big? One of my workmates contacted me today about one of his friends who "inherited" a Maremma and they now want to find him a new home. All I know at this stage is that the dog is a Maremma and is male. I have asked for more information. I am in Canberra, so am assuming the dog is too.

Regards,

Rebecca

Lukius, Andrea from Companions for Life is a Maremma rescuer. If these people need help finding a home, put them in touch with Andrea, she is in the Blue Mountains area.

companionsforlife.com.au

Hi,

Regards,

Rebecca

Maremmas are big barkers and there is no way they'd chase a ball. I second the suggestion that they contact Andrea - they really need a specific type of home! Is there anyway you could really get across how important it is that this dog not be passed on to just anyone?