Take Your Dog To Work Day

Leah82

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked at one clinic where we all took our dogs in.

We had two Dobes, one Anatolian and a Vizsla. Along with the clinic cat.

The next vet hospital I worked at had a no pet policy but I asked for permission from time to time and brought my dog to work. She stayed on her bed when told so was t an issue plus they had a fully fenced backyard.

Now my dogs come to work with me everyday, but I do own and run my own kennels so that explains that :)

I've always wanted to take my dogs to work but Zeus would be horrible on the registers and Kirah isn't good with money! :D

Hmm, my understanding is that it is up to the owners to train their dogs - you really can't blame the dogs if you don't teach them.

:) :) :)

Yeah and doesn't Caesar say that that is something about your energy...like maybe you aren't good on the registers either :confused:

Just teasing :laugh:

I work in a small rural primary school where the principal brings her 2 poodles & another teacher brings her smallish X breed to work every day :) One of our students brings his poodle in occasionally too! I am hoping to get a toy poodle later this year & the boss has already requested he or she comes to school too :thumbsup:

I work in a small rural primary school where the principal brings her 2 poodles & another teacher brings her smallish X breed to work every day :) One of our students brings his poodle in occasionally too! I am hoping to get a toy poodle later this year & the boss has already requested he or she comes to school too :thumbsup:

Very cool boss :)

I am very lucky as the nature if my job means my youngest dog comes to work with me every day, sometimes both of them! I love it but and couldn't imagine not doing it now, but in a normal office situation I think some dogs would struggle with lying calmly etc at your desk. As a once off day i think if it was managed properly why not? ( and if it could be managed long term great!) It really does make your day brighter to have your dog with you.

Edited by huski

There is a dog at our gym.

I am a bit of a sook at times while working out.

He can tell. I was really struggling a few weeks ago and he strolled over to sit next to me. I felt so much better.

Our workplace though ... We're too big really. Open plan, a few hundred staff. And lots of us have dogs. It would be a free for all unfortunately. Shame - I would love to bring my boy in.

Glad to see a few success stories. I'm not sure this is something that would be allowed on permanent basis but maybe the odd Friday. I for one would struggle to take either dog for a walk to the toilet from Monday to Thursday, high heels and steep grassy slopes don't really work, but as Friday is casual dress (or as I like to call it flats day) it would be a lot more manageable. :)

When my pugs were puppies they came to the office with me, but I have the type of office that easily accommodates it. Ground floor, very few people, open plan, direct access to grass and garden area, plenty of people coming and going to play with them, space to put them for quiet time, etc

However, I also work for the state government who likes to make up OH&S rules whenever it likes, and they tried to say the pup wasn't allowed for safety reasons, but since there was actually no official policy against it, they couldn't enforce it (though I'm sure they set out to write a policy :laugh: )

I found the grumpy hardass guys would turn into marshmallows, rolling around on the floor playing with the puppy, letting her lick them and playing with her and laughing and having fun, totalling calming down.

However, if everyone bought their dogs to work it wouldn't have worked. It worked because there was one dog in the office at a time.

At christmas last year I bought both pugs in, and someone else bought her JRT in, and it didn't work. The JRT was a snappy territorial little bitch who would bark and carry on and snarl and snap everytime either of my pugs looked at her human, let alone went near her desk (which is next to mine). It made for an uncomfortable day for both of us.

20121224_081053.jpg

Max was always happy to just chill out on the floor. I didn't normally need to attach to her to anything, she wouldn't go far from me, and if she did it was just to stand at the door to tell me she needed to pee.

DSC05399.jpg

Boston when he was little

Ages ago, before things got more rule-driven, one of the shelter breeders used to take one of her shelties to the high school where she worked as science teacher.

The sheltie would snooze on her desk. The teacher said that the big rowdy adolescents in her classroom would always automatically walk out quietly at the end of the lesson. So as not to wake the dog.

Not like other classrooms where they'd thunder out like a herd of rampaging elephants. :)

Very cool boss :)

There is a dog at our gym.

I am a bit of a sook at times while working out.

He can tell. I was really struggling a few weeks ago and he strolled over to sit next to me. I felt so much better.

Great stories :thumbsup:

Doves make pretty cool office pals as well. Here's Ruin standing on a pile of books on my desk and giving me the "Why aren't you working?" look. ;) The best thing is when he stands on my keyboard he's not heavy enough to press keys or close windows like another animal of mine does when I foolishly give in and let him sit on my lap and look at my work space. I say "look" but what I really mean is poke everything in sight until I say "All right, that's enough. Go play outside, now."

8943787012_0e57c6bc1c.jpg

ETA Erik is also being very companionable today. That'll teach me for deciding to do some work on the laptop. Had to push it down my legs to get the webcam far enough away to shoot anything other than a wall of grey fur

8944478180_b8a342de22.jpg

Edited by corvus

Well I've had a chat to the CEO and she's given the OK to send out the initial email to see if anyone has any fears / concerns :D

apparently the old general manager would bring in her dog from time to time and a few people wouldn't go near her office due to fears but I get the impression most of those people have since left and one happens to be on annual leave that day :) fingers crossed.

Here's my email template if anyone else wants to use it :)

Hi All,

Friday June 21st is take your dog to work day ( http://www.takeyourdog.com/ ).

We are currently investigating the possibility of *insert company name here* taking part in this occasion however we don’t want to alienate anyone in the process.

If you have any concerns about dogs being in the workplace, whether they be religious, health issues, fears or otherwise please let me know by COB Friday.

All concerns will be kept confidential.

If we do go ahead with Take your dog to work day there will be restrictions to the number of dogs and areas that they will be allowed.

If you have a canine friend and would like to bring him or her into the office please hold off expressing interest until we are sure that everyone will be happy to join in the spirit of the day.

Here's my email template if anyone else wants to use it :)

Hi All,

Friday June 21st is take your dog to work day ( http://www.takeyourdog.com/ ).

We are currently investigating the possibility of *insert company name here* taking part in this occasion however we don’t want to alienate anyone in the process.

If you have any concerns about dogs being in the workplace, whether they be religious, health issues, fears or otherwise please let me know by COB Friday.

All concerns will be kept confidential.

If we do go ahead with Take your dog to work day there will be restrictions to the number of dogs and areas that they will be allowed.

If you have a canine friend and would like to bring him or her into the office please hold off expressing interest until we are sure that everyone will be happy to join in the spirit of the day.

I think that sounds good!

Good luck!!