Advertising In The Trading Post

Zereuloh

You are right it's not something you often see, registered breeds should advertise everywhere to promote pedigree dogs... Petlink, trading post, local paper etc.

Take pedigree dogs to the people, don't wait for them to come to you.

:thumbsup:

All very well to suggest to advertise everywhere - but advertising costs.

Also one huge advantage of DOL is that often the public searching here have generally researched a little more and are actually looking for a registered pup, therefore tend to be more realistic about price etc as opposed to the enquiries thru trading post where you get "I just want a pet not show and so don't need to pay full price"

You are right it's not something you often see, registered breeds should advertise everywhere to promote pedigree dogs... Petlink, trading post, local paper etc.

Take pedigree dogs to the people, don't wait for them to come to you.

:thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Obviously one breeder would not advertise everywhere, if 500 a year advertised in various places the public would SEE registered breeders are out there and so are options.

Also one huge advantage of DOL is that often the public searching here have generally researched a little more

I googled "buy puppy"

Gumtree first, pups4sale second, trading post fourth and DOL 5th....

Gumtree and pet link free to advertise it, use them

To promote events, puppies, specialty shows.

Each year I advertise our champ show, go to the people.

SELL your product to the people, Sell pedigree pups from registered breeders.

more registered breeders SHOULD advertise in the trading post, let the public know there is such a thing as ANKC registered breeders.

x2

x3 & on every other site too.

How are people to know about & find canine association registered breeders if they don't advertise & leave all the back yard & unregistered breeders to cover all the internet advertising.

It's certainly hard to know where the best place to advertise would be for breeders. Often Joe Public only knows about buying pets through newspapers or trading post sites -- I know I would've had no idea where to hunt for my next Aussie Terrier had I not stumbled upon DOL a few years back when needing help with my cross breed puppy.

I'm grateful for this site, but it certainly doesn't make finding registered breeders easy for those not knowing how to search or where to even start. I don't see a problem with where a breeder advertises, it's the sheer amount of misinformation placed within the ads by dodgy 'breeders' that seems to be the problem. That and the fact that many play on the phrases 'rare colour' or 'rare breed' which purchasers buy into and the hugely escalated price tags!

If more breeders were to advertise in local papers and mention they are ANKC registered, I'm sure more and more of the general public would be asking the question 'what is the ANKC?' and making the effort to look into buying pure bred dogs. Some how, the breeding of pure bred dogs became an almost 'secret society' so if you weren't in the know, you'd have no idea about it.

Just as owning dogs has changed immensely in the last decade, the buying and selling of dogs needs to step up and move with the times too. Sadly, I don't see this happening if breeders feel the need to have to defend their positions on where they advertise. To be honest, I don't see how it matters to anyone where a breeder advertises -- that's up to each individual breeder and no one else.

Also one huge advantage of DOL is that often the public searching here have generally researched a little more and are actually looking for a registered pup, therefore tend to be more realistic about price etc as opposed to the enquiries thru trading post where you get "I just want a pet not show and so don't need to pay full price"

I've had some doozy's contact me because they saw the ad on DOL :laugh:

I found dol by googling corgi breeders victoria and it took me to the corgi page on here. I emailed three and heard back from two. Having said that I guess I was lucky in the sense that I already knew about the ANKC. I think it would be great to see more ANKC registered dogs advertised in public places. More recently it has been more common to come across the dont buy from pet shops / byb / puppy farm . And while that information often comes with a note of buy from a reputable breeder or rescue it doesnt tell you how to go about finding that reputable breeder which for some people unfortunatly makes backyard breeders more accessible.

I think it would be great if dog shows and dog sport trials could be advertised to the general public more. Great places to meet breeds and the people involved with them.

This too! I use to go watch the dogs at our local agricultural show but now they don't do dog shows at the local show! I found out recently that they now do a big championship show locally in March. So totally missed it this year! Planning on going to the Royal Melbourne Show for one day this year, but apart from that I don't really know what shows / trials are on unless Ballarat Dog Obedience Club is running it and the only do obedience/agility/flyball etc so im not sure who runs the big march show. Unless there is a second dog club in Ballarat I'm unaware of?

I think it would be great if dog shows and dog sport trials could be advertised to the general public more. Great places to meet breeds and the people involved with them.

Yes, to this.

And also have Social Breed Clubs as a wing of the Breed Clubs, so people who own purebreds as desexed pets can join in with public events that are very accessible to the general public.

I once saw a large ad in the US Oprah magazine, from the American Kennel Club. They had designated a Purebred Pride Day. Groups of both show people & pet owners were to gather, with their p/b dogs, for 'show & tells', at parks and other venues across the country.

I thought this was an excellent idea as it allowed the public to meet both the informed show people & the experienced pet people. Being a national event also upped the chances of getting publicity. If the word 'Pride' seems to have (not intended) overtones of elitism & contempt for non-purebred dogs .... then there could be alternative wording.

Edited by mita

When people aren't familiar with the Italian Greyhound, indigirl and I always suggest that they go to some dog shows and have a good look at the breed, chat to the breeders and have a good long hard think about it. Iggies (like every breed), aren't for everyone. It's about getting the right dog at the start and having that lifelong commitment to it because it was the right dog for you. SOme people can make the lifetime commitment even if the dog isn't quite right but that just makes things harder than they should be ...