Grass Seeds Grrr..

Lyss

I took my dog Jove for his vaccine today and asked the vet if she could check out his ears as he'd been scratching. Turns out he had grass seeds in both ears and they had to sedate him to remove them as they had moved right down his ear canal, luckily not badly infected yet or puncturing his ear drum.

Was wondering if any one else has had this happen or has any suggestions to prevent them from getting in his ears.

A picture of the culprits that have been removed. Eta, and my poor boy recovering in bed.

post-45086-0-16206800-1372320055_thumb.jpg

post-45086-0-65463700-1372320133_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lyss

Poor Jovie they would have made her ears very irritated and sore, lucky they didn't get infected. I was worried Abbey had one in her paw the other night but it must have been something else that irritated it.

We get them here pretty badly in certain seasons.. have had to take the cavs to the vets on a few occasions in the past.(when they have got them in their ears)

We have made a smaller yard to try to make it more manageable .. and we try to put their snoods on them when the grass seeds are at their worst.

I had a dog in the past that got one in his paw, and it got infected (had been there for ages without me knowing) next there were clumps of grass growing out his paw! Of cours he had to go to the vets. One of our cats also got one in her private area, and the vet said its lucky we found it as soon as we did or it could have killed her..

Nasty things, grass seeds icon_smile_mad.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Like other, we found one in Sam's paw, luckily we caught it early enough it didn't need anaesthetic, after an examination, it was close enough to the surface the vet popped it out like a pimple!

Keep your grass short and check him for them after being in/near long grass.

Edited by LisaCC

Penny got one once and went nuts, shaking her head so much she got a haematoma on her ear. Luckily I stopped it from becoming a cauliflower ear by bandaging it to her head and putting ice packs on it, as well as gentle massage. It took a while. That was after I'd taken her to the vet to have the seed removed.