Over Feeding

dee lee

We had a lot of trouble keeping weight off Sam when he was good. He would gain weight with anymore than 2 cups of food a day. But with flare ups he would be on 6+ cups a day and dropping weight. Constant struggle.

Being extra careful with Nova, he's put on about 1kg each week in the two I've had him, he gets his food split into 3 meals, one of those used as training treats. Anymore treats needed during the day and dinner gets cut back.

It's harder to tell from sight with all his fluff (and it's been a while since I've had a pup) but I can easily feel his ribs and to me he's looking great. I'll see what the vet says on Friday smile.gif

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol...I struggle to keep weight on my dogs!....In my 25 years of having std poodles I have never had one that is a guts for food. It's the opposite.

They all love training with treats...but dog food is no big deal....lol

I just adjust food to suit the way they look. Currently I want a little bit more weight on the basset and a little bit less on the kelpie. Personally I look at my kelpie at the moment and think she's a bit tubby but she is a LONG way from what the average person on the street would call fat, I like to be able to see her last rib and at the moment I can't. It's my fault as I've got a new job and the weather has been all over the place so she hasn't been getting out as much as usual.

It boggles me a bit that people are content to be overweight themselves (despite knowing the health risks that obesity carries) but their dogs are kept fit? :confused: Maybe it's just me.

Carl unfortunately would gain weight by looking at food so he's always fed less than the others. Mischa is a struggle to keep weight on and especially now that she's 10.5, she is super lean and gets cold easily so over winter I try to get her to gain a bit, but she usually doesn't. Jag is a total pig but he always stays the same weight. :laugh:

It boggles me a bit that people are content to be overweight themselves (despite knowing the health risks that obesity carries) but their dogs are kept fit? :confused: Maybe it's just me.

Carl unfortunately would gain weight by looking at food so he's always fed less than the others. Mischa is a struggle to keep weight on and especially now that she's 10.5, she is super lean and gets cold easily so over winter I try to get her to gain a bit, but she usually doesn't. Jag is a total pig but he always stays the same weight. :laugh:

I'm not content to be fat, far from it. What makes you think, from the people who have posted about being overweight, that they are content to be fat?

Edited for detail.

Edited by SeeGee

I don't have a problem resisting the urge to over feed, I want them to have healthy long lives so manage their weight accordingly (I suspect the Staffy would pick being fat with a shorter lifespan given the choice though) I must admit to keeping them leaner in summer than I do in winter (I'm a softy :p ). Now if I can just be as disciplined with my own diet *sigh*

I'm not content to be fat, far from it. What makes you think, from the people who have posted about being overweight, that they are content to be fat?

Edited for detail.

Haven't read the entire thread! I'm not saying that people are necessarily 'content' to be overweight, but the fact that their dog's health is of import but their own isn't strikes me as odd.

Edited for detail.

Haven't read the entire thread! I'm not saying that people are necessarily 'content' to be overweight, but the fact that their dog's health is of import but their own isn't strikes me as odd.

Have you ever considered that controlling the diet and weight of a dog might be a lot easier than controlling your own diet and weight? Obesity is a complex problem.

Good grief. Talk about assumptions and judgements. This thread is filled with them. :laugh:

Edited by ~Anne~

Edited for detail.

Have you ever considered that controlling the diet and weight of a dog might be a lot easier than controlling your own diet and weight? Obesity is a complex problem.

Good grief. Talk about assumptions and judgements. This thread is filled with them. :laugh:

This.

Edited for detail.

Of course. I was at one point quite overweight. I'm aware of the mental hurdles that come along with human weight problems. :) But that's how I feel on the matter. I'm not speaking for anyone else here except me, and I would not let myself get overweight again, nor my dogs.

Edited for detail.

Of course. I was at one point quite overweight. I'm aware of the mental hurdles that come along with human weight problems. :) But that's how I feel on the matter. I'm not speaking for anyone else here except me, and I would not let myself get overweight again, nor my dogs.

You statement was:

You are making assumptions and judgements on those who are overweight. You have assumed they are content to be overweight but not have overweight dogs. The fact that you were fat before has no relevance.

Edited by ~Anne~

1373847435[/url]' post='6253557']
1373847093[/url]' post='6253551']

only you can tell that. :) Can you feel his ribs?

Yes, I can feel his ribs. I'm wary of the weight creeping on, like it does to me ;)

So would I be correct in saying that feeding amount is something that's in a constant state of flux depending on life stage, activity & food type? Something that needs to be continuously monitored?

Better to under feed than over feed, especially with pups. You'll have no problem getting it back on, but it will be hard to get it off. I find manufacturers recommendations are generally enough to make a Lab fat...unless the dog is very active.

1374055462[/url]' post='6255837']
1374054662[/url]' post='6255817']
1374054199[/url]' post='6255803']

Edited for detail.

I can open the fridge door, my dog can't. Much easier to take weight off your dog than yourself.

I gave up feeding raw when I moved from Oz to the US. I find it MUCH MUCH easier to control weight with dry food than raw cause you can measure out the amount easily, and the fat content of the food is on the label.

I get what you are saying - but I find it just as easy to eyeball the dog and think "hmm, I should add / subtract some food for a while to adjust the body condition" (exercise would also be part of the equation), different strokes for different folks I guess :)