King Charles Cavalier- Good For Families?

dappledgrey

Hello, we are looking to get a puppy for our family next year. I am doing lots of research to make sure that we get the right dog to suit our lifestyle. We live on an acre and have a cat and 3 pet bunnies. i have 2 sons who would love a puppy to dote on and adore- they are 4 and 5 years old. we would love a dog that fits in with our family, likes going for leisurely strolls but also just loves to chill out in front of the fire watching a dvd. would a king charles be the sort of breed you would recommend? also, i'm assuming that a pure bred puppy is much better than a cavoodle or something? thanks so much for your help :)

Howdy!

I'd say a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (this is the correct breed name) would fit the bill provided you're prepared to give the dog the odd brush and you teach your sons to be gentle with a small pup.

This breed is VERY popular and can suffer from heart issues so choosing the right breeder, who health tests their dogs will be important.

You may find the information on the CKCS in the "Dog Breeds 101" forum helpful and you can ask questions there too.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

The major advantage of a purebred over something like a cavoodle is the health testing that haredown mentioned, while there can never be a 100% guarantee health testing at least provides some assurance that the health of a pups parents has been checked to give them the best chance possible of being free of genetic issues. This is something that basically does not exist in the crossbreed world. When you add on that the benefit of a breeder who cares where their pups end up and will help you out with advice, etc for the life of the pup and it's no contest really :)

It sounds like you are after a small dog but if you at any stage consider something larger I can recommend a basset hound as a breed that may suit your needs as well, they are renowned for their love of children and our Josie has certainly fit the bill in that regard.

Note that this breed also suffers from an extremely painful disorder called syringomyelia so please choose a breeder that acknowledges this fact and strives for breeding animals clear from syringo.

Apart from the health issues cavs are absolutely delightful little dogs.

Cavies make great pets but they can snore,the shed like crazy & need regular brushing ,If these things aren't an issue then they can certainly be on the good pet list .

We board & groom many Cavoodles & whilst most have lovely natures there coats are your worst nightmare .The temps can be one or the other so its important to understand both breeds & basically figure out what you can get in the middle,They often have bad mouths because of the cross in jaw structure & this can cause issues & expense .

Are there any other breeds you have considered

Tibetan Spaniel :)

And yes Cav's are gorgeous there's just a few things (above) you have to ask the breeder. Mum went with tibetans after losing her cavs to heart failure. :(

Edited by Powerlegs

thank you so much for all your replies :) i will definitely go for a pure breed now. i assume that if i find a breeder on this website that is nearby, that would be a good place to start?

i will check out tibetan spaniels now too. i think i would prefer a small dog so i don't think a basset hound would be a good match :) i have only ever had bigger dogs- lab x,and golden retriever - this was long before we had kids though. now i would like to go for a small breed.

Cavies are beautiful little dogs and I think are perfect for children. BUT children must be taught to be gentle with them - as with all puppies - as they are very tolerant of mishandling and rough treatment. You may pick up some pointers and breeder recommendation on the breed sub forum - as others have said a breeder who will tell you what tests they conduct is a must. Good luck.

Dappledgrey, while it can be nice/ reassuring to have a breeder that lives nearby, it's much better to go with one who has a good reputation and whose dogs you like.

Plenty of pet owners travel to pick up dogs or puppies can be flown without much drama. :)

edited to add word 'without'

Edited by Esky the husky

thanks again, i will have a good read through the breed page later tonight with a cup of tea or two!

can i ask for any suggestions of reputable breeders on here? or is that not allowed?

It is allowed. You may get them via PM as well as on the thread so check your messages too.

I have a Cavalier puppy sleeping in my lap right now and so far he's been fantastic with kids! Cavaliers are known to be calm and gentle dogs but puppies are still puppies! He has a nipping problem that I'm still trying to correct after a month and he is very hyper. But after a good hour or two of running around the house (while watching him like a hawk so he doesn't poo/pee everywhere) he will just want to cuddle up in your lap. So he will only want to watch a movie with you once he's absolutely tuckered out (and will probably fall asleep right away). I would recommend buying an older Cavalier. I know I would rather skip the puppy stage if I had a full time job or kids.

Also he will probably try to nip at peoples feet and he will sometimes grab my arm and growl if I'm on the floor while he's around. I exchange my arm for a toy but it is still not corrected and takes a lot of time and work. Just wanted to remind you that puppies are still puppies because that somehow went past my mind. I read the descriptions of Cavalier's and fell in love but didn't realise he would still be a crazy puppy. But now that I have him I wouldn't change anything :)

Hi. I have a cavalier and three kids and it has worked very well for us. Also my friend has 3 children too and the cavalier has worked very well for her too. The best thing is they can adapt their exercise requirements to suit yours but mine has a tendency to chase birds and butterflies so isn't very reliable off leash.

Note that this breed also suffers from an extremely painful disorder called syringomyelia so please choose a breeder that acknowledges this fact and strives for breeding animals clear from syringo.

Apart from the health issues cavs are absolutely delightful little dogs.

Incidence of SM in Aust is 2%. If the parents score well on scans that is no guarantee that the pup does not have SM, nor that it will not get SM. Consequently few breeders are testing for SM. If you are seeking one which is heart and eye clear with with good SM tests be prepared for a wait for a year or three.

Apart from that they are very gentle and obliging dogs, but I would not guarantee them with a bunny, they are a "sporting spaniel" :)

Also he will probably try to nip at peoples feet and he will sometimes grab my arm and growl if I'm on the floor while he's around. I exchange my arm for a toy but it is still not corrected and takes a lot of time and work. Just wanted to remind you that puppies are still puppies because that somehow went past my mind. I read the descriptions of Cavalier's and fell in love but didn't realise he would still be a crazy puppy. But now that I have him I wouldn't change anything :)

They are not usually crazy, nor do they nip. Usually full of life and fun as pups but are happy to watch TV without having their legs run off. If yours is pedigree his behaviour is a bit off standard.

They are not usually crazy, nor do they nip. Usually full of life and fun as pups but are happy to watch TV without having their legs run off. If yours is pedigree his behaviour is a bit off standard.

Oh I was told by others this was just normal puppy behaviour. Thanks for correcting me.

Our Miah playfully nipped my feet/shoes a few times when she was younger, she was just being a puppy, and it never developed into any issues. She now over 7 months old and hasn't done it since. I just used to give her a toy and encourage her to play with that instead and didn't make a huge deal out of it.

Miah is defiantly pedigree :)

Shes got such a beautiful disposition, altho very lively still, Ive been told the Tri's can be very hyperactive at times laugh.gif

Dappledgrey you might want to change your post title to Cavalier King Charles Spaniels smile.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs