Yoghurt Plus Dry Food

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jalna is working great - I was just wondering if anyone makes their own yoghurt from low lactose milk, or from goat's milk?

Mum always used to make our yoghurt when I was a kid, so I'd be fairly interested in giving it a go. She probably even used goat's milk now I think about - I 'apparently' had a dairy allergy, so she was always giving me goat's milk instead. I'll have to ask her about it... I just have no idea where I'd get goat's milk in Brisbane though!

I would query the belief that "most" dogs are lactose intolerant.

I don't wean on to milk but my pups get cheese, yoghurt and will get the odd splash of milk if there's some going. In 34 years I have had one lactose intolerant puppy - "interestingly" he turned out to have a range of food issues including an intolerance to beef.

My understanding is that although cows milk is obviously not a natural dog food if they are fed some dairy products throughout their weaning and growth period they frequently/usually/often (reports vary :laugh: ) retain the ability to digest cows milk/dairy products.

I wonder if the increase in lactose intolerance has tracked the increase in lactose free puppy milk, weaning formulas etc... back in the olden days dogs were raised on milk, oat porridge and meat, somehow I doubt this would have become "the norm" if "most" dogs had major issues with the milk which would result in the owners having to do a lot of clean up work!

Edited by Sandra777

I would query the belief that "most" dogs are lactose intolerant.

I don't wean on to milk but my pups get cheese, yoghurt and will get the odd splash of milk if there's some going. In 34 years I have had one lactose intolerant puppy - "interestingly" he turned out to have a range of food issues including an intolerance to beef.

My understanding is that although cows milk is obviously not a natural dog food if they are fed some dairy products throughout their weaning and growth period they frequently/usually/often (reports vary :laugh: ) retain the ability to digest cows milk/dairy products.

I wonder if the increase in lactose intolerance has tracked the increase in lactose free puppy milk, weaning formulas etc... back in the olden days dogs were raised on milk, oat porridge and meat, somehow I doubt this would have become "the norm" if "most" dogs had major issues with the milk which would result in the owners having to do a lot of clean up work!

I've started to wonder about that too. Mine frequently get left over cereal with milk from breakfast, one of my bitches loves a splash of milk in a bowl when I have a coffee.

When my bitches whelp I make them egg yolk and powdered milk to drink.

Pups certainly don't need the lactose free crap you buy in the supermarket, they seem to tolerate cows and goats milk very well, along with yogurt and cheese.

Woolworths sell goat milk, both in the fresh milk section and in long life form.

At least in my local Wollies in Victoria

The fresh stuff is really nice, and has seasonal differences in taste depending on what grasses etc. the goats are eating.

Liddell's make a lactose free yoghurt now (also in Woolies) it's usually up on the top shelf in the fridge section.

• 2 weeks later...

Made my first lot of EasiYo Greek unsweetened yoghurt on the weekend - its so easy to make and it's fantastic - the best I've ever tasted - and a lovely texture. And the westies love it too. Wish I'd done it years ago. Thanks very much for the suggestion. smile.gif

That's great it worked out so well!

I was going to get the Easi-Yo, except I realised you just use the sachets with water, and don't get to choose your milk etc, so I ended up getting the aldi yoghurt maker yesterday. It's basically an incubator, so you can choose your own milk and culture. Very keen to give it a go, so will let you all know what happens :)

Oh yes please do ailwake!

I took the beginners way out and used a sachet for my first experiment andit worked really well.

But last night I found a wonderful blog on how to use an easy yo to make yoghurt from scratch, instead of using sachets here. This blog has lots of great ideas which are sugar free, using different milks and cultures and using fresh fruit - even jam as a sweetener. Very clever! smile.gif

That's a really handy blog - thanks for the link!

This is the first one I went to (and it shows the aldi yoghurt maker too):

http://recipegeek.com.au/blog/2012/09/08/lactose-free-yoghurt-lumina-yoghurt-maker/

I've read so many different things since then that my head is spinning though!

I bought no lactose UHT milk the other day, and was planning to use that, but, I've since read in some places that UHT doesn't work very well, and then again that the lactose is the sugar that the culture feeds on when it's growing, so if you don't have lactose then it won't grow?! I think that may be why the recipe that I linked to above adds sugar - to feed the culture...

It's all very confusing anyway, but I think I'll just have a crack. I like what your link says about using UHT milk - it's encouraging! I had a feeling I wouldn't have to heat it, so that should be easy I hope!

well, I made my first batch yesterday, and it was super easy. just mixed up my uht lactose free milk with a couple of tablespoons of the jalna greek yoghurt I had in the fridge, and let it do it's thing in the yoghurt maker all day. I tried it this morning and it was definitely well set, but I'd say softer than the starter yoghurt. Flavour wasn't bad considering I didn't add any sugar. It definitely worked without having to do the heating then cooling thing.

I noticed that there was a lot of whey on the top of each jar before I put them in the fridge, but the jar I opened this morning seemed to have absorbed it all back into the yoghurt, so I think to get a thicker, more 'greek' style i might try tipping out the whey before putting it in the fridge next time, and see what happens.

well, I made my first batch yesterday, and it was super easy. just mixed up my uht lactose free milk with a couple of tablespoons of the jalna greek yoghurt I had in the fridge, and let it do it's thing in the yoghurt maker all day. I tried it this morning and it was definitely well set, but I'd say softer than the starter yoghurt. Flavour wasn't bad considering I didn't add any sugar. It definitely worked without having to do the heating then cooling thing.

I noticed that there was a lot of whey on the top of each jar before I put them in the fridge, but the jar I opened this morning seemed to have absorbed it all back into the yoghurt, so I think to get a thicker, more 'greek' style i might try tipping out the whey before putting it in the fridge next time, and see what happens.

To get my Greek Style yogurt, I hang it over a basin in cheesecloth overnight. The longer you hang it the thicker it gets. The dogs get the whey & I eat the yogurt :) Don't add anything to it until it is set. I started a thread in the Off Topic a while ago on yogurt making etc...here is the link if you can access it Here

Edited by sheena

Thanks Sheena, I'd read about using cheesecloth or muslin to make Greek yoghurt, but to be honest I'm not sure I can be bothered :) I was just thinking that tipping out the whey while it's already separated (before it goes in the fridge) might be a good shortcut to thicken it up. Will let you guys know how it works next time I do a batch.

Thanks for the link to your thread though Sheena, I'll have look through it!

Thanks Sheena, I'd read about using cheesecloth or muslin to make Greek yoghurt, but to be honest I'm not sure I can be bothered :) I was just thinking that tipping out the whey while it's already separated (before it goes in the fridge) might be a good shortcut to thicken it up. Will let you guys know how it works next time I do a batch.

Thanks for the link to your thread though Sheena, I'll have look through it!

Just remember not to wast the whey...it has as much goodness as the yogurt :)

I kept that in mind when i went home at lunch - some of the whey had separated again so I tipped it straight into Nixon's bowl :) Lucky puppy!

I was wondering earlier - my Jalna Greek Yoghurt is pot set, so I'm not entirely sure how it counts as Greek yoghurt? It can't have been strained! I guess it's just an extra creamy formulation.

I kept that in mind when i went home at lunch - some of the whey had separated again so I tipped it straight into Nixon's bowl :) Lucky puppy!

I was wondering earlier - my Jalna Greek Yoghurt is pot set, so I'm not entirely sure how it counts as Greek yoghurt? It can't have been strained! I guess it's just an extra creamy formulation.

To start with...to make Greek yogurt, you add 1/3 full cream milk powder to each litre milk. Then after it's set you strain the whey out of it. If you strain it for a couple of days, you can make Labnah from it, which is like a cream cheese. If you go to that link I put up earlier in the thread, they have the directions for making it along with goats milk or coconut yogurt. I just use powdered milk for the whole lot & it works out fine....a lot cheaper too & I get my culture etc from Green Living Australia.