Do Elderly Dogs Know When Their Time Is Close?

Little Gifts

My sister's heart dog Wolf is a husky/shep cross. She turned 10 earlier this year and apart from surgery on a couple of eye growths she has had absolutely no health issues. She still zoomies and plays with the younger two every day. Her appetite is far better now than it was when she was younger, she's got no mobility or joint issues and she has only just started to grey a little around the eyes and snout. I think one of the reasons she hasn't had any mobility probs for a large breed as that she was always a smidge on the underweight side. She did start losing more weight earlier in the year when we changed her diet but have since adjusted it again to something more suitable to a mature aged dog and her body weight is good again.

Wolf has always been a little aloof and what we refer to as 'the fun police', always dibber dobbing the other dogs for having too much fun or playing too rough. Now she is the one stealing toilet rolls and tug toys off them and starting the zoomies! It's nice to see her having a second childhood.

But what is worrying me that I can't tell my sister is that instead of being all aloof and playing the household guard dog Wolf is rarely more than a couple of steps away from me at any time these days. At present she is lying on the floor next to me on a bed covered in chewed sticks. Her Highness would never previously deign to lie on a bed covered in sticks! Particularly ones chewed by the other lesser canines in the house! If I have a nap she is on the bed with me. If I am down watching tv then she is next to me in Stussy's usual spot. Stussy then comes and kind of lies on her and Wolf never, ever likes sharing her personal space but just shifts over to accommodate it. She isn't asleep either - she's just lying and watching me most of the time.

She has just started sticking to me like this over the last 2 weeks. Normally she couldn't give me the time of day unless we are leaving the house, giving out treats or doling out dinner. She's always been very cat like - you can give her a quick scratch in a location that she will indicate but after that she moves to her spots, usually in rooms away from where the humans and dogs are.

I'm really starting to wonder if her time is close and she is sticking close by me because she might need medical help or to just not be by herself if she falls asleep and doesn't wake up? I'm home a lot more than my sister, but even when she is Wolf will often still be with me at present. My sister will not cope at all well when she loses her dog. I've raised with her that Wolf is suddenly spending more time with me and she has just said she is mellowing in her old age or that she is just looking after me (I've been sick recently). My gut is unfortunately telling me something else. I can almost see it happening in my mind.

Despite her good health do you think Wolf knows something we don't? It doesn't feel like she is looking after me (ie like something is going to happen to me). It feels like she needs me close by her for some reason.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

I think they do know. Nancy, a Cavalier, insisted on going to work with me for a week....she lay on the floor, and slept her day away, woke up in the pm ready to go home. 14 1/2, never been, or wanted to go before.

They often become more clingy. Some don't

But imho - with only the evidence of my own eyes - is that they all know.

I just looked at her Jed, right in the eyes and nearly burst into tears. I might take her to our vet (we share the same one) without my sister knowing and just get them to give her a check over. But I suppose the nicest thing I can do for my sister is be here for her fur baby and for her when the time comes. She would be inconsolable to discover her dog passed away with no-one by her side. Hope I'm just over sensing the changes in Wolf, but?

I just took this pic of her (with bed sticks!).

post-33739-0-19578600-1375589416_thumb.jpg

Guest Clover

Tell your sister & get her vet checked if your sister wants to. It could be any number of things going on, sight, hearing, getting confused etc.

Why are you taking over your sister's dog? If you have concerns tell your sister, don't take her dog to the vets without her permission.

Not trying to take over Rebanne. My younger sister and her dog live with me and my sister used to be an SES team leader who did oodles of body search and emergency jobs regarding people with a level head but when it comes to her dog (her first dog ever I might add) she falls to pieces. She once locked Wolf in the car outside our house one winter's night and I had to call the RACQ because my sister was standing in the middle of the road just yelling 'help'. When Wolf had eye surgery last year I had to drive both of them to and from the vet's because my sister wasn't able to concentrate to drive. I know part of her is terrified of even knowing if there is something wrong because Wolf has always been in such good health. I am noticing the change because I am home more and I was pondering if I need to do more than just notice given I have spoken to my sister about the change and she has come up with her own reasons for it (that may just not match mine).

We often take each other's dogs to the vet and also take mum's cat to the vet for her so that isn't as abnormal as it sounds in our family. She trusts me to care for her dog the same as I do with the other two in our house. I am kind of the problem solver of the family anyway - the organiser and breaker of all bad news, etc. If I took Wolf for an appointment to get her vitals checked at least I could prepare my sister if some change was found. I certainly wouldn't be asking for blood tests or anything of that nature without my sister's knowledge or consent. It was probably a dumb idea anyway because you can't do much to change old age and if it was anything more serious tests would need to be undertaken anyway. I suppose I just want to ease any trauma for my sister where I can and help her through the process given I've already experienced several elderly dogs and all that comes with it when the end is in sight.

Guest Wildthing

You have said you have been unwell recently. I am more inclined to think that the dog has picked up on that and could be monitoring you as the dog believes you are still unwell and do not realise. Perhaps you need to see your doctor!

You have said you have been unwell recently. I am more inclined to think that the dog has picked up on that and could be monitoring you as the dog believes you are still unwell and do not realise. Perhaps you need to see your doctor!

I also think its this. Dogs always know when you are sick or ill.

I agree .

Could be a few things, could be she's going blind or has dementia coming on. Both things can change their behaviour.

I wouldn't worry, I would just keep an eye on her for any signs she's unwell but she might be just getting on and changing her habits.

My thoughts exactly dogmad, she looks fantastic, but if she is worried about herself or feels that something isn't right, she would get clingy. Dementia brings all sorts of new things to them. If you are worried about her talk to your sister and suggest she take her to the vet for a complete examination or even bloods but don't do it without her knowing.

I've been unwell for over a year now with a few different health issues and am mostly home because of it. Last week I had man flu and spent pretty much the entire week in bed but wasn't critically ill so I'm not sure she was overly worried about me. I had Stussy (my heart girl) on nurse duties the entire time though!

I spoke to my sister about Wolf last night and said that now she is getting older it is a good idea to have more regular vet check ups just so we can address any issues that might arise more quickly. I used the example on here that if her eyesight is failing then knowing that would mean we could monitor her more in unfamiliar areas and with the other dogs so she wasn't bowled over by them or didn't run into anything. I know that when she started losing weight a quick vet check discovered that the diet we were using, which was great for our other dogs, just wasn't right for her and we were able to rectify that very easily, so I reminded her of that. So hopefully she will organise a visit with a view on preventative measures to keep Wolf as healthy as possible as she ages. And if she is getting dementia then at least she is a lot nicer to be around!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I just want to be supportive for them both.

Sometimes having a young dog in the mix can bring an older dog into a "second childhood"... my Zeddy has been known to try to play zoomies and steal toys to "compete" with the attention the cute young ones are getting.

My tip would be that Wolf has noticed you are not feeling well, and is trying to be some comfort to you by staying close and doing what she thinks will take your attention off your illness.

T.

My 13 year old Dane has become more clingy in the last month, I know she's not as all there in the head as she once was. I certainly don't see it as some indication she's dying and wants me to be close in-case she needs medical treatment - I think you're over analysing it.

Old dogs get old, loose their mental ability, loose their health and pass, it's just the sad reality of many of them.

Enjoy the time with the dog but remember it's your sisters dog and not yours and I don't think you should be doing anything without your sister knowing.

Do you have the regular old dog health checks? (blood tests etc) These done 12 month or 6 monthly help to work out if something is going on 'inside' that you cant see. Also our older dog who has always been independent can get clingy (when we moved house she used to panic if she lost us) at times. If one of us goes away for a few days they both get clingy and you will move from room to room and look around and both are curled up apparently asleep in the same room.

Our older dog does miss a few things and does miss food on the ground she once would have seen as at the vets it was clear her eyesight is a lot worse than we thought (if there isn't a clear contrast she will miss it) - often dogs forget they can use their nose for things. Seriously both of ours if you hide from them will do a few laps looking with their eyes or listening before they actually sniff you out.

Its more worrying if they leave their actual meals - our older dog left some of her tea one night a few weeks ago and for the best part of a week she had intermittent gastro. I don't know what caused it but its stressful when you cannot work it out in a 14yo.

As they get older they do change in their behaviour - our older dog even tried leaping over the foot by foot hedge a few months back but forgot to land (excitement from everyone coming home and the young one was also revved up) - she ducks though the gap now but still runs around when she feels like it. Though her dog run is now about the equivalent of a med jog for me whereas she use to be a lot faster but even if she gets sore she's allowed to run (treat with rapigel if she goes sore).

If the dog is happy just monitor behaviour it was obvious when ours had her 'dog stroke' last year she was fine when she sat down but just staggered when she got up 10 min later - rushed her to the vet and now 9 months later she still sometimes has a head tilt and can be knocked off balance fairly easily but she still thinks she can match the younger dog if she can get a head start (and still lines up to jump in the kluger if you don't block and stop her)