Advice On Introducing Two Dogs

Perry's Mum

Thanks Dogmad for swift reply. We wanted a female as I didnot want our dear little CS to be humped for rest of her life! LOL

We have had Labs for years and are well aware of their hair situation and other more preferable traits!! After last beautiful girl died 20 months ago wedecided to have a CS as a change but always had view of adding a rescue Lab when we felt the time was right. Our CS is a bit pampered but regularly meets other dogs and visists off leash parks regularly.

I like idea of not making a fuss of Lab for first days and am discussing other points with family. Am off to read this thread again.........................thank you again.

It could be fine but always be cautious about these things. I've had 4 females together and they've been fine BUT I have been very careful about their initial meeting, ever watchful and so on. They lived in harmony for well over 12 months until 2 of them passed way. I still have two females but generally prefer males.

Edited by dogmad

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We wanted a female as I didnot want our dear little CS to be humped for rest of her life!

females will hump as well .... in excitement / and when challenging .... I have had desexed males and females with less humping than females/females ...

Yes persephone some females sure do hump. My desexed girl does when she is excited. She doesn't do it to me or my other BC male, just the air for a few seconds.

Usually just after we finish a game of tugs. My boy has never done it even when he was entire.

I too prefer male dogs. IMO just easier to get along with & manage I have found :)

Edited by BC Crazy

HaHaHa.Could have guessed we`d come home with her!!!!!!!!! We spent the morning with her talking to the Guide Dog people and letting her run with our CS.All good so far.We have spent afternoon with them at home and have cleared next few days to spend time settling them.The CS is possessive of the garden and toys while the Lab is not too intersted in toys.She cowers when CS barks at her. She was turned in by Guide Dogs as being too frightened of loud noises. She is v. snuggly and loving with us.She has obviously ad a lot of love.

Sounds like Perry and Friskie - Perry owns the garden and toys and Friskie just wants to snuggle and hides when Perry glares at her.

Apart from a few snarls from the CS they have been ok together which is a very good start.I noticed them sleeping side by side in sun yesterday afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to make a comment, and don't take it the wrong way, but have you considered getting a behavoirist out just to see how they are going.?

My concern is that it would be a shame if Friskie has to live her life afraid of Perry, and Perry would be on high alert forever too.

Trying to force them together may not be the right thing, if Friskie is avoiding being near or around Perry its for good reason, pushing them together will bring stress to them both. :(

I think it is for good reason but Perry seems to have accepted Friskie is here long term - they have been out together in the garden without me all day today and are just ignoring each other - I am sure Friskie would like to come inside and be with me but that is not going to happen until later. Any more problems and I will take up your suggestion.

Poor Friskie ... sounds as if she is grieving for her lost owner/home ....

I would hazard a guess that being an old dog , with an old owner, days could have been spent just sitting indoors , close ....and that now, being 'forced' to stay out, with a resident dog who doesn't really care for her presence - well , I can understand her crying , and wanting to be indoors .... :(

Is there any reason why she has to be outside?

I recommend that for the first two weeks you don't overdo it on the attention but I don't put the new dog away from me and the rest of my dogs, they just mingle ...

I have a new one and he has sep anx at the moment, he did spend many months without an owner in a shelter and it's only natural that he feels this way - dogs from pounds (or situations like Friskie's) can also be the same so it's important to just let them settle.

Have you got some Rescue Remedy to give her? You can use this many times a day, it's harmless but I've found it can help.

How about a baby gate or two, so that she can be inside where she can see, hear and smell you but won't be underfoot? She has lost a way of life and probably bounced around a shelter/pound and a foster home or two and had a scary airline flight to boot, so she understandably could feel insecure. You will then find it easier to reward her for being quiet if you can give her a pat as you pass the doorway and can show "ignore" body language if she is crying to pass the gate. All these interactions will help her adapt more quickly to letting her know what your expectations are than her being outdoors out of contact.

If the layout of your home allows for the baby gate(s) set up also giving access to the yard so Perry also can come and go that would be ideal.

We have a baby gate so she has the back half of the house and Perry has the front but if she can see me then she wants to be with me. From her side of the gate she can watch me in the kitchen and cries to come to be with me. Access to the yard is through Perry's half but that is not a problem. She is not happy outdoors even if I am there.