Advice On Introducing Two Dogs

Perry's Mum

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we did the walking around at a distance thing. Perry's reaction was to look very friendly and then dart forward and bite Friskie on the nose. Friskie was happy to be friends.

We spent the morning inside cuddling and left Perry on her own in the garden. Now I am bringing Perry inside and Friskie and I will be out in the sun for a while.

Actually i wouldn't be giving Friskie so much attention, Perry will just get more jealous.

I would be ignoring them both and continueing with my normal routine with them seperate for now but able to see each other.

Don't let Perrys routine be upset ,keep everything as normal as you can.

Yes, the best advice I was given by a behaviouralist (I have new dogs arriving constantly as a rescuer) is to ignore them for 2 weeks, just let them settle.

Don't take them out to lots of places and don't have lots of people over. Just keep to normal routine and don't give the dog too much attention at all ...

I know it's hard but I've def. found it is a good strategy - it's to allow to dog to settle, she's had a lot going on - the trip and now Perry not giving her the best welcome. Just allow everyone to settle ..

Yes, let them settle AND do your best NOT to be anxious or stressed about Perry's reactions - that will cue him even more to defend you against the "intruder dog".

So relax as much as possible and don't make a fuss about your new addition, I'm sure they will soon be bestest friends.smile.gif