Advice On Introducing Two Dogs

Perry's Mum

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good advice I was given has worked well here. Even after the initial meeting ... take the new dog & the resident dog together for frequent walks over the early period. Don't have to go far. Walking together helps form a bond ... turns them into a unit. It's 'us' in contrast to 'the rest'.

Things went well until tonight when I let Friskie out before putting her to bed - I thought Perry was fast asleep but instead she slipped out behind us and attacked. Tomorrow I am taking Perry out shopping, for coffee and then to the park for some one on one ball throwing and Friskie can lie in the sun in peace.

Squabbles over food (or empty food bowls) I consider normal between firm canine friends I'm glad you were on the ball. Things are progressing at a normal pace, in a few months you'll look back and wonder what all the caution was about!laugh.gif

I am so looking forward to that day.

This morning Friskie turned the charm on for the vet. Now she is fast asleep on Perry's bed and Perry is sunning her tummy in the garden.

I just read through this whole thread - congratulations Perry's Mum!

I agree with Rural Pug, in a few weeks or months (in my experience, probably weeks) you'll look back and vaguely remember the teething problems you had.. I was just thinking yesterday of how hard it was to get one of my fosters settled in. It was a nightmare 2 weeks of howling, general disruption, friction and scuffles.. I became acutely aware of people out walking their dogs peacefully, thinking GOD WHY AM I DOING THIS - I just want to go back to my NORMAL life. (Ie, without this foster dog!) But after a few weeks it was like a totally different scenario, all dogs settled into the routine of having another dog there, the foster dog much calmer and more relaxed..

it will happen :)