Advice On Introducing Two Dogs

Perry's Mum

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried that - not enough - she wants physical contact and a warm teddy bear just does not cut it. We have spent most of today reading on the couch and she is happy.

It sounds to me like she is just an old dog, whose world has been turned upside down and she needs some time to adjust..

She has lost her family, come to a home where the resident dog seems to just 'tolerate' her.

It hasn't been very long since she arrived and some dogs take longer to 'fit' in than others do.

She quite possibly is pining for her lost family and really does just want to be close for a bit.

I am sure she will settle given time - I think that is the only thing that will give her the confidence to just be at home with you rather than needing to be so near all the time.

At the moment she is fast asleep at my feet - I had two scared dogs last night because of thunder and lightning. I tried a thunder shirt on Friskie but it did not seem to help. Ended up sitting on the couch for a few hours with one on either side.

Yes staffyluv. Me too. I have one of each. My girl is a quivering mess hours before the storm arrives & Sonny loves them & wants to run around the backyard playing in the lightening & thunder.

PM, its a shame the Thunder Shirt didn't help much. I do find it helps a bit with Stella. She is on meds though as well.

Edited by BC Crazy

They are both OK as long as they can touch me but it must be dreadful to be so scared of storms, particularly because we seem to be getting ore of them. It does not help that with the design of this house there is no way to block out the lightning flashes.

My 3 are now pretty much bullet proof as far as the storms/fireworks/etc go.

I just made the noise and lights 'fun' for them. Every time there is a storm we all wait for the 'kabooom'. We cheer, eat treats, laugh and I do the silly things like clapping hands, hopping around, etc. Not the most scientific approach but happiness seems to be infectious. I am not sure if this is the right way or I just got lucky. Maybe it's worth a try?

On another note, it took me 3+ months to integrate my FF boy into the flock. Failure was not an option as I fell in love :D. Kajtek came to us uber-stressed and my Queen-Bee really didn't like him being here. It took vigilance, patience and time to make the magic happen for us.

Edited by Kajtek

Yes I did the same with Sonny Kajtek during storms we would have lots of fun, play tugs etc thats why now he's like YA !! thunderstorm lets party!! :laugh:

Stella has always been scared even as a puppy so I couldn't engage her in any form of play as she just shuts down unfortunately. She just want to hide & suck on her sucky toy

that she has :(

Glad I am not the only one having a party during storms :laugh:

I am lucky the 3 seem to re-assure each other. Kajtek was a blubbering mess when he joined us - shakes, hiding under the bed, the whole being terrified routine. At some point he seems to have worked out that he was missing all the fun and treats (he is the total glutton :eek:) .

Edited by Kajtek

It's great that you've found a close by playmate that she can have playdates with regularly, she will enjoy that! thumbsup1.gif

And even though Perry doesn't enjoy walks he can enjoy his garden while you enjoy walks with Friskie. Perry won't mind as long as he still gets his ball throwing sessions, I'm sure!

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to give an update to everyone who offered me help and advice.

Things are quiet and peaceful in our house. Perry has decided that Friskie is no threat and that Perry is still top dog. Friskie is gaining confidence and settling back to enjoy lots of cuddles. She is making her own circle of dog friends like Jet over the road and her own people friends. She prefers being inside to being outside. Perry prefers being outside.

Generally they have now agreed on a policy of mutual tolerance where they will share rides in the car.

Friskie has a very strange microchip number which the ranger I registered her through thought was an overseas number. Should I get her re-microchipped or will one of the registries put her in my name with this no?