Kids & Dogs

luvsdogs

The pastor from the church behind me built a house next door to me a couple of years ago.

The older pastor in talking to me once told me the younger pastor did not like dogs.

The young pastor moved in with his wife and 4 children, they are terrified of dogs.

When I walk past with mine onlead the children stop, scream " dog" and run to a parent, who I have heard say "good, well done".

I have passed him on the street with the kids and he huddled around them arms shielding them as I walked by!

Its very sad as initialy the youngest child would stand and watch me go by and even took a few steps towards me once.

The worst was one weekend we were all out on the road watching the kids play and skate,with the dogs all onlead, and they had guests who wanted to leave who were parked outside our house, they kept looking out of the window.

Then the hubby ran as fast as he could to his car and drove it up the pastors drive where the family rushed to get in!

I don't agree with putting your fears on kids, and in my case he has actually taught them how not to behave!

I very much doubt the girl has been attacked, a dog rushing over to say hi is not attacking.

Sounds like they may be of a different culture??

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering what he defines as an attack? It seems an awful lot of attacks on a child. If the child is at a park and a dog rushes over and bumps into her is that an attack? Possibly her fear reactions could be inciting dogs to rush at her? My dog is normally fine with people but if you yell and lean over him he'll bark at you.

Unfortunately early instruction from her parents is going to be hard to unlearn.

My eldest daughter has been attacked twice by dogs. The first time she was 2 and we were all sitting at a table at my sisters house and her dog just jumped the table and bit her on the face. The second time she was 10 and we had just moved in to our house. No fences were up and as she walked past a neighbours house their dog came running out and attacked her, then ran a bit further and bit a painter. To this day she (21yrs old now) is not scared of dogs, we have 3 of them, however she is cautious when meeting a dog for the first time and watches ear and tail placement. Being attacked 2 times unprovoked is bad luck but 7 times, I can't believe that.

It sounds to me like the kid is being trained to fear. She probably gets positive reinforcement in the form of comforting when she screams and acts like she's been hurt.

Sad, and counterproductive. She is old enough to understand a little about dogs' body language and know what is an attack and what is just enthusiasm...even if the enthusiasm spills her on her bum.

When I was five, I got a good bite on the face when I did something stupid -- probably hair pulling -- with an Irish Setter. Not only did I not get sympathy from my parents, I got scolded, and given a couple stitches. Didn't lead to a phobia.

I think a level of fear/respect is required. Something i heard on tv once was about lions, in Africa children are taught if you go near a lion it will rip your face off our children are flooded with images of people cuddling lions on things like totally wild. Thats not normal and shows no respect for what the animal is capable of. But still people in africa arent scared of lions they believe if your killed by a lion your cursed as lions dont kill people, elephants/crocs/hippos do.

I think we need to teach children the same about dogs, that the dog can injure you and you need to let the relationship be on the dogs terms. They are not a childs toy. A healthy level of fear. Being terrified is too much

This time he says she's been attacked another 3 or 4 times, one being a Lab that rushed up to her, knocking her over & then licking her face.

I wouldn't call this an attack. It was an accident. Sure the dog should have been under control but it sounds like it was just a bouncy, exuberant dog who loves kids :confused: I know the child could have hurt herself but if this is what the father defines as an attack, then yes my daughter has been 'attacked'. A Pug once launched himself on her lap and covered her face in kisses, a Stafford once launched himself in her arms and stole the top off her icecream. (no, not my dogs). The Stafford 'attack' resulted in tears of course. A 4yr old and her icecream get pretty attached!

1376255970[/url]' post='6274669']

I think a level of fear/respect is required. Something i heard on tv once was about lions, in Africa children are taught if you go near a lion it will rip your face off our children are flooded with images of people cuddling lions on things like totally wild. Thats not normal and shows no respect for what the animal is capable of. But still people in africa arent scared of lions they believe if your killed by a lion your cursed as lions dont kill people, elephants/crocs/hippos do.

I think we need to teach children the same about dogs, that the dog can injure you and you need to let the relationship be on the dogs terms. They are not a childs toy. A healthy level of fear. Being terrified is too much

Kids need sense, understanding, and respect, not fear. Fear doesn't produce intelligent responses.

I call bullshit. Attacked seven times at age 6? I don't believe that. Unless his idea of being attacked, is very different to mine.

completely agree!

My eldest, grew up as a baby around my sisters dog, and had no issues at all. Out of nowhere, after we had moved into our own place, he all of a sudden became petrified of dogs. (2 yrs old, only thing i can think of is one night he woke up screaming after a very loud german shepard next door, was barking like mad at 2am, could have freaked him out)

From my end i never made a big deal out of it. Anytime we saw a dog i would ask if he wanted a pat, and left it if he said no. This slowly became a yes if i or the owner would distract a dog while he calmly patted it on the back for example. (started with just a little touch)

Fast forward to when he was around 5, and through all of the above, he came back to loving dogs. Especially boxers. Regardless of how big a Boxer is, he'll ask me if he can speak to the owner if we see one, and if i say yes, will walk over, chat with the owner and ask for a pat :)

He is sensational with our boy as well, as well as with my sisters Am Staff, any dog really.

The key to me is, it all comes down to the parents.

I have family members who have a 5yr old who is scared of our boy. When they come over, they make fun of him "Here he comes", "where going to let him in". Its like a joke to them and i lose my sh!t at them each time.

With me though, he will give him a pat when i calm him down, and move the dogs face away from him.

Kids are kids. Like a puppy, they only know what you teach them, and will only behave the way they have been taught is acceptable (to a certain age, after that, well not all apples are sweet ;) )

My thoughts are it would be safer to teach his daughter to be calm around dogs rather than to fear them. Dogs are everywhere in our society and often off lead in parks where children play. My daughter was 3 when she was chased by a small terrier type dog.She was running around with her friends squealing and carrying on as young kids do. The dog entered the park at the far end and immediately chased after my daughter who was the smallest of all the children. The owner called the dog but to no avail. We both rushed to help my daughter but she stumbled and fell. The owner reached my daughter and lifted her up just as the dog snapped at her face (just missed her eye). My daughter became very scared of dogs after this experience. We could have kept her away from dogs after that but realised very quickly that we have no control over when we will come across dogs. We were at Pet Stock one day. There was a puppy in a pen and as soon as we stepped in and my daughter saw the puppy she absolutely freaked out. I am surprised we are not banned from the store! Her hysterical reaction would have frightened most dogs and I realised she is not safe while she was so fearful. It took many months of helping her through it but she is now happily living with 2 tibbies. Safety aside, it would be very sad if she spent her whole life avoiding dogs as she absolutely loves them now (hers anyway!).

I think its almost cruel for them to teach her to be afraid of dogs like that. There is a huge difference in being cautious and knowing the rules about how to safely interact with dogs, and having a fear of dogs. In our society she will come across dogs, and most of them won't be any threat to her at all, yet she will be so frightened whenever this happens.

They would do so much better to teach her safe interactions than to teach her to be afraid.

My thoughts are the father is projecting his fears onto his children, and feels more justified when they react in fear. Because you're only scared of bad things, right? So if his kids are scared of dogs, dogs must be scary, so his kids must be scared of them etc.

My BIL does this to his kids as he has a fear of dogs and cats (but I think it's a bit put on). If he is in the same room with an animal he will kick up a huge stink about it to get it removed, and then warn his kids to stay away from it. It's lessened a bit now since his oldest son has learned to be disgusted and fearful around dogs, so he doesn't have to hammer it in so much. His daughter has a bit more interest in patting one of my dogs when she can, and it's fascinating watching her ignorance with dogs. She's slowly learning though, and does enjoy having my Tonks around which is nice.

I think its almost cruel for them to teach her to be afraid of dogs like that. There is a huge difference in being cautious and knowing the rules about how to safely interact with dogs, and having a fear of dogs. In our society she will come across dogs, and most of them won't be any threat to her at all, yet she will be so frightened whenever this happens.

They would do so much better to teach her safe interactions than to teach her to be afraid.

My feelings exactly. I have a cousin that was terrified of dogs as a child. Whenever she came to visit us she'd cry lock up the dog. Mum would say no he won't hurt you & he never did. Even if she saw a dog at 1 or 2 bus stops away she'd start screaming. Was very surprised when she left home to teach that she had a house dog that was very spoilt. I met up with her years later at our mutual obedience club to do agility when she had her 1st Lab. She said she's still wary of strange dogs but is ok with dogs she knows.

My feelings exactly. I have a cousin that was terrified of dogs as a child. Whenever she came to visit us she'd cry lock up the dog. Mum would say no he won't hurt you & he never did. Even if she saw a dog at 1 or 2 bus stops away she'd start screaming. Was very surprised when she left home to teach that she had a house dog that was very spoilt. I met up with her years later at our mutual obedience club to do agility when she had her 1st Lab. She said she's still wary of strange dogs but is ok with dogs she knows.

I'm glad she largely overcame the problem :)

But as your story illustrates, having such unfounded fear interferes with normal functioning; it's just not healthy. Why would you want that for your child!?