I Year Ago I Got The Phone Call

casowner

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, he is adorable, and looks like a polar bear cub :) I have been following him and his brother on fb, can't help but feel jealous when I see any of lilli's dogs! Azure has turned into a real stunner too.

What was "the other Wolff's" temperament like?

Oh, he is adorable, and looks like a polar bear cub :) I have been following him and his brother on fb, can't help but feel jealous when I see any of lilli's dogs! Azure has turned into a real stunner too.

What was "the other Wolff's" temperament like?

He was not as confident as our boy, still suitable for us but Wolff has a true CAS nature and will mature 70kg plus so needed to go to an experienced home, he is also co owned like Azure. Our Wolff sees new experiences boldly and confidently as if he has done it all before, the day he arrived he went to the front of Azure's kennel growled and walked straight in. When she tried to overwhelm him he stood straight up and told her off. He exerts the confidence of a 12 month old CAS and as he matures he will need someone that understands him and his place. He is also more suitable as a LGD as he doesn't react in a prey reaction. He met sheep for the first time yesterday and he walked straight up to them, stood up growled and then sniffed them and then he was fine. Once initial intros are done he accepts that is what is to be. Any new experience is met with acceptance, he has been to work with me and sits in his pen without a whimper, he comes out to toilet and then goes back in without being picked up which is amazing. He adores the boys especially Luke and is not in their face. He already is happy being outside by himself and occupies his time and then will go back to his pen and go to sleep. He has the mental maturity and behaviour of a much older dog and that will only escalate so he is learning his place from day one. It is very interesting as he acts like an adult not a puppy so he will be a very impressive adult CAS. He starts puppy school next week which will be interesting as already if he doesn't want to play he informs his partner, not in an aggressive way at all just a direct way. He would be at least 15 kg already so we will see how he goes and that will dictate whether he needs to continue.

Wolff was not the puppy for a first time LGD owner as while people see his puppy nature as placid and well natured he is simply a perfect example of a young, confident CAS. As you would have seen on FB we believed from the moment Wolf one was born he was destined to be our companion but unfortunately with this breed the dogs true nature predicts home not the colour of the puppy, to say I was heartbroken would be a massive understatement but Wolff is where he was destined to be and we adore him for what he is and what he will become

Azure is breathtaking she really is stunning, she is a handful and lives up to her nickname flying shark, hidden dragon. Completely different to CAS much more maintenance behaviourally but as she matures our bond grows. She is one tomorrow and that has flown by

Thanks for that great explanation, behluka.

It definitely sounds like Wolff has found the home that was meant to be, and you have found your new guardian. I look forward to future updates on him, and of course lots and lots of photos!

Oh, and I love Azure's nickname! :laugh:

10 weeks old and nearly as big as his new friend Leo

post-23033-0-78664000-1377313629_thumb.jpg

My gosh! Just look at that bone ! how large will he grow?

I am thinking around 80 kgs maybe more, Jake was 37 inches at the shoulder but finer build. Wolff's dad (Jake's brother) has massive bone and his mum is big boned too but not as tall

Dad

Mum

Edited by behluka

Ohhhh ! O...K.... 80 kg !!

ermm, has his mother had earflaps and tail removed? Good idea for very cold conditions , I guess... no chance of frostbite.

She is imported, and it was done o/s. It is quite normal o/s for it to be done especially for those working as true flock guardians in the mountains etc it would give predators less to grab hold of

Ohhhh ! O...K.... 80 kg !!

ermm, has his mother had earflaps and tail removed? Good idea for very cold conditions , I guess... no chance of frostbite.

She is imported, and it was done o/s. It is quite normal o/s for it to be done especially for those working as true flock guardians in the mountains etc it would give predators less to grab hold of

good plan :) She is lovely -looking :)

Great posts and photos Behluka, thanks! How do CAS go with their hips and elbows out of curiosity? Is hip dysplasia a problem in the breed? I know from experience and living with them, that some giant breeds need to be almost wrapped in cotton wool for their first year or so! :o

Great posts and photos Behluka, thanks! How do CAS go with their hips and elbows out of curiosity? Is hip dysplasia a problem in the breed? I know from experience and living with them, that some giant breeds need to be almost wrapped in cotton wool for their first year or so! :o

As far as I am aware it hasn't been an big issue with the ones over here, keeping him quiet is easy as he doesn't do much anyway. Azure was a nut and I had hers done at 6 months and the vet was really impressed with them, I will do them again at 18 months