Dogs And Snow

Leah82

Looks like we're going to take the kids (dogs) to the snow this weekend, Lake Mountain (before the resort) or Mt Margaret seem to be the places to go with dogs from a bit of google searching.

Anyway neither of our dogs have seen snow and we obviously want them to have as much fun as possible so should we rug them up and get some booties or will they be fine without.

I'm probably more concerned about our Poodle x, Sarah doesn't like getting her feet wet at the best of times and I don't want to drive 2 hours only for her to freak out and refuse to get out of the car :p

In my experience, dogs LOVE the snow (used to live in Europe above the snowline) I think you will find that they will play in it and with it - just dance about yourself like a clown and let them join in. I would not get boots or anything, just dry them off and put warm coats on them when your play session is finished so they don't get cold.

In my experience, dogs LOVE the snow (used to live in Europe above the snowline) I think you will find that they will play in it and with it - just dance about yourself like a clown and let them join in. I would not get boots or anything, just dry them off and put warm coats on them when your play session is finished so they don't get cold.

^ My experience as well :)

Thanks Guys, I was a bit concerned about them getting wet and cold for the trip home as well so I'll bring some towels and their jumpers along for after.

Sunday seems to be the best day for it so it's going to be a big one, We've got obedience in the morning and our club is putting on people and doggie cup cakes for RSPCA Cupcake day, then it's off to the snow from there... Getting exhausted just thinking about it :D

I imported a dog from here to Canada a number of years ago, and of course, he'd never seen the white stuff. One night, whilst he was snoring in bed, we got blanketed and the next morning he went to dash out the dog door only to be met with a sea of white...he froze solid...wouldn't move!! The look on his face was priceless!! I slipped on a lead, walked him down the deck, through the white stuff, encouraging all the way...it took about an hour and the encouragement of the other dogs who were Canadian through and through, and he truly enjoyed it after that! No rugs, no boots, no touques (beanie)required.

We thought ours would hate it and the first trip they did we took rugs, towels, booties and bandages for feet. We stopped the car and got them out to get dressed and they just lost it before we could get anything on them! Doof started frantically eating snow and bear went crazy with the zoomies then shoved her head into every teeny hole she could find. It went on for the whole week :laugh: if we did take them out in their coats they were miserable so we just left them nekkid

When we took our dog to the snow when I was a kid, he loooooved it. It took about 2 minutes before he figured it could be fun, and then he went mad.

Every time after that, when he saw snow, he whined in the car until he could get out and play in it.

I'm sure yours will love it!

Leo who refuses to go out in the rain... Runs round In it mouth open like a looney tounge out catching snow flakes!

He. It a huge fan.... But has been known to have a frantic play for about 15 min, then it's all over.

In sure they will be fine and will have a great time.

I imported a dog from here to Canada a number of years ago, and of course, he'd never seen the white stuff. One night, whilst he was snoring in bed, we got blanketed and the next morning he went to dash out the dog door only to be met with a sea of white...he froze solid...wouldn't move!! The look on his face was priceless!! I slipped on a lead, walked him down the deck, through the white stuff, encouraging all the way...it took about an hour and the encouragement of the other dogs who were Canadian through and through, and he truly enjoyed it after that! No rugs, no boots, no touques (beanie)required.

:laugh: I would have loved to have seem that!

Wednesday is the day! providing my boss approves my leave :p

Freezing levels will be around 1000 - 1200 meters today and tomorrow with around 16 centimetres of snow predicted around Lake Mountain and Mt Margaret with more to fall on Wednesday Afternoon.

Fingers crossed we get enough snow to play around in :)

Will post pics later in the week

Would love to have done a longer trip to Dinner Plain but money has been a bit tight, maybe next year.

Had a great day up at the snow today :D Everyone had a great time and lots of zoomies were had by all.

Collie went a little crazy at the sound of the snow falling off the trees as he thought that meant small animals in the undergrowth :p

post-49536-0-42989400-1377076830_thumb.jpg

post-49536-0-36366900-1377076840_thumb.jpg

post-49536-0-32261200-1377076852_thumb.jpg

post-49536-0-78317800-1377076920_thumb.jpg

Btw I'm so impressed with Sarah, her recall was excellent yesterday and most of the time she was either out in front of me playing with Collie where I could see her or if I couldn't see her I would generally turn around and she'd be trotting along right behind me :D

Lovely fun had by all by the look of it. My current two have only rarely seen snow - hasn't been too much around lately, and dogs aren't allowed up the top of the mountain now. Past dogs had seen quite a bit, and used to really enjoy the zoomies and the snow-shovelling and tossing with the nose :D . Went with a friend one day - 2 humans, 5 dogs - on the way back to the car, my then BC boy thought he was on a snow covered path - but was off the path, and found himself on top of a snow covered bush - with his tummy on the snow, and his legs dangling down through the snow and the bush. He was so tired he couldn't work out how to get himself going, so the silly boy just lay/stood there looking goofy and waited for me to rescue him.