Breeders-cost For A Show/breeding Prospect V. Pet?

kelpiecuddles

I'm just asking out of curiosity since it will be relevant to me sometime in the next few years. In approximately 4-5 years I'll be looking to purchase my first breeding dog. I already have one girl of my breed and will be getting another soon, my first was purchased as a pet and the second is coming to me as an adult from a good breeder and I will start out by showing her(she won't be bred as she is neutered). I have my eye on a particular breeder who's dogs are really standing out to me and I have a small idea of his breeding plans for the future and I really like where his dogs are heading so i am hoping to get my hands on one of his girls as my foundation.

Just wondering whether breeders would share whether they charge any different for a pet versus a fabulous looking show dog? I guess I'm coming from a background as a breeder of show budgies where the price for a show bird can range from $50 in to the tens of thousands! I know how much I paid for my pet girl from a very well regarded breeder with great lines but want to prepare myself if I should expect to pay more so I can ensure that when the opportunity arises I don't miss out on my perfect dog because I didn't put enough away..

Edited by kelpiecuddles

KC, all breeders are different, even within the same breed.

Some breeders charge more for show prospects, some don't.

Some will only allow show prospects to terms homes with or without a cheaper price.

Some will give away show prospects.

Some will give away show prospects to show/breeding homes if they have previously had dog from that breeder, proven home.

There is no general rule of thumb.

I would say that the breeders I have known that sell puppies as show/breeding prospects for more than pet homes usually go between $300-$1000 more, occasionally more.

Price difference if any from pet - show/breeding prospect will depend largely on the breed and usual breed price.

Best wishes with your venture :)

Edited by dyzney

Thanks Dyzney. The breeder knows I am getting in to showing and plan to register as a breeder down the track, he has facebook friended me LOL so I'm keeping a good eye on his dogs via that and staying on his radar that way for now and I'm sure I'll meet him in person down the track at shows as well. He actually messaged me the other day to ask if I was interested in a show puppy he had but the timing just isn't right. All that considered I am hoping that when the timing finally is right in a few years time he'll be amenable to me taking on something special, especially since by then he'll be even further down his very interesting breeding plans!

For now I think I'll plan to budget about $1000 more than what I paid for my girl and that way if i have any left over I'll use it buy a new bed or something :D

Edited by kelpiecuddles

All pups here cost the same - except if I have a pup I really think is a show prospect and I can't keep it I will usually give it to someone keen, so in effect show prospects are often free and pets cost :laugh:

Edited by Sandra777

Every breeder has their own way of selling pups - to be "right" it merely needs to suit both buyer and seller.

Any show prospect I parted with would be free to someone I knew well and co-owned (and therefore free) with someone I didn't. But that's me :shrug:

Word to the wise Kelpiecuddles - if you are in deadly earnest about showing, I'd be suggesting you NOT take a pup from a breeder who shows in the same areas as you if they plan to keep a pup of the same sex from the litter. Unless you want to be content to play second fiddle to an experienced breeder and exhibitor who (naturally) has retained the best prospect, you might want to look further afield. Second place wears thin after a while.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

The breeeder my neuter girl is coming from is local to me but the one I am particularly keen on is from Sydney. To be honest, unless I flew interstate to show I suspect I will probably play second fiddle to his dogs anyway :laugh: , he has some pretty spesh puppies coming up now from imported lines. I'm happy to source my first bitch more locally to me from a breeder who as far as I can tell seems like he would be very supportive in helping get started and then look further afield for a stud and for future bitches or keep one from my litter if one suits, if it means playing second fiddle that's life. My parents live in Melbourne and I plan to travel down that way for shows as well as to Canberra and I can head down the coast from here too. As far as I can tell he tends to do more Sydney and inland shows so we won't always be at the same shows.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

Breeders all do different things.

Most within my breed (who I know well) charge the same for show or pet and I do the same. But I've also got another two show dogs for free with conditions, for example the male will be used by the breeder at stud and is co owned with her and the bitch however is owned solely by myself and her agreement is something different again.

Honestly if you want to know what they charge best just to ask.

Thanks all, is interesting to hear the different ways breeders go about it. To be honest I'm not really worried about the cost, it's only about making sure that I can take an opportunity when it comes up. I haven't asked him for further info yet since it's so far in the future, I'm happy to just put a chunk of cash away and then it's there for whatever it's needed for.

It may be an Idea to talk to him now, tell him your ideas about wanting to show, eventually breed and approximately how far down the track you are thinking, mention what you like about his dogs, ask his opinion about his lines good and bad points ask if you can tag along to shows or meet him there and develop the mentor/student relationship now.

This way when the time comes you'll be more experienced in his lines and which way you'd like to develop. You never know he may invite you around to some all important litter assessment time. Which in my breed is 6 weeks. You may be able to watch or assist in training a new show prospect. Or even the all special sit in on the whelping of a litter (depends on the time of day or whether you want to or he asks you over to go visiting in the middle of the night).

There is lots of advantages to discussing years in advance and I am yet to hear a bad point. Obviously he may not start the process he may be quite shunned to the whole idea. But by what you've mentioned I can't see that being the case.

What have you got to loose?

I do intend to talk to him fairly soon but I'm waiting until we meet each other at a show in the next six months or so. I'd like to go and watch him in action with his dogs at a show first. I'm not going to wait until only 12 months out and then approach him but at the same time it's a 5 year plan so 6 months or so isn't going to really make any difference, he's just had a litter and the next ones aren't planned for another 18 months or so.

I do intend to talk to him fairly soon but I'm waiting until we meet each other at a show in the next six months or so. I'd like to go and watch him in action with his dogs at a show first. I'm not going to wait until only 12 months out and then approach him but at the same time it's a 5 year plan so 6 months or so isn't going to really make any difference, he's just had a litter and the next ones aren't planned for another 18 months or so.

I would develop a relationship with the breeder research your lines - dont be bluffed by the show ribbons they mean next to nothing compared withthe healthy issues - look at type, temperament and health issues. I bred bench Kelpies fom 1991 - 2007 dont underestimate the health issus behind the breed - dont be bluffed about the "Kelpies are healthy' crap - not true ask about hips/elbows, CA, Epilepsy and Temperament issues, if working ability is important to you select for that too - sight proof on ability and health tests if any dont take their word for it.

Check where the import is coming from - it will probably be NZ. Check the linesbehind the bitch you are getting for 7 generations you will find bench Kelpies are HIGHY line bred. An ethical breeder will hve nothing to hide - if you breed any animal regularly you will get abnormalities & death. That they occur is not an issue its what the breeder does or doesnt do in response to deaths, health issues or other abnormalities that matters. .

The Kelpie Show is on in September Father's day weekend. Find out where it is on and see a number of Kelpies in one place though te Sydney Easter Kelpie Show is bigger. If you like you breeders type ask youself why - compare in your mind the pros & cons. EVERY DOG HAS FAULTS the perfect dog does not exist. PM if you have any questions

Edited by Tapua

Both of mine (different breeds) are on mains and co owned with their breeder, my bitch will have a litter for her breeder with an import and my dog will have semen collected as we are in different states. I paid less than pet homes but not a great deal less, mains pups are generally more as a rule I would think. I will desex my bitch when she has had her litter and will wait for my own mains bitch of the dogs breed if/when a suitable one is available as I only want one particular colour