Treated Pine

ish

I've done a search around, but can't find any info on whether treated pine would be ok to use for part of my whelping box. Chances are it would be on bits that the pups wouldnt have a lot of access to, but knowing pups, could chew if they really wanted to. I'm thinking that because its poisonous to burn, it wouldnt be a good idea but I've got heaps of it so if anyone knows, it would save me a few $$$$ :)

Thanks

Why not use a plastic swimming pool for a whelping box? I know a lot of people who do with excellent results. They are cheap and after the puppies are too big for it, you can take it outside and allow the puppies to swim. :)

I personally don't use wading pools as whelping boxes, but they are an economical, easy-to-clean alternative.

I used one for the first couple litters..great little rigs....made pig rails from flexible plumbing conduit...you know that black stuff with the ridges that bends? cable tie it to the pool that you drill holes in....safe...easy..washable...

if you have to use wood....plain board and flat paint recommended for kids rooms....it's not the pups so much as the mom if she's bored she might chew.

:) I'm a shep, we use the kiddie wading pools from the toy shop - the type with a plastic style tubing frame and a blue tarp liner, they are a great size, wash easily, and have 'give' in the walls that helps us to rescue a little wriggly who might have crawled behind mum, and would be squashed in a rigid whelping box. (they are so good at disappearing, while you are busy grabbing one from under mum's elbow!)

They last for one wolfie litter, then the tarp is washed & used for something in the tool shed! the added bonus, they are cheap - around $25 max, they are a good width & length and depth. And you are not using the same whelping box repeatedley, and unless your whelping box is plastic or fibreglass, I really don't think the wooden one's can be fully sterilised for another litter.

fifi

We have a lovely, HEAVY, wooden whelping box that my DH made in 1995. It did well for a few litters, but it was such a chore to break it down and store it in the garage.

We now have a DuraWhelp (4'X5'). Wooden whelping boxes are nice and sturdy, but a colossal PITA to clean, sanitize and store.

I looked up DuraWhelp and it seems that's what they are made out of.

Yep, they are pretty much made of that material along with plastic pig rail that is velcroed into place.

The DuraWhelp is a snap to put up, clean and store. I was fortunate to get one from a friend for next to nothing. :rofl: They are expensive, but truly worth it.

We love ours and have never had a problem with puppies in it.

I wonder what we should do with our old wooden one??

We used a homemade wooden one the first time. It suited the purpose, but was too hard to keep clean and hygenic.

I like the blue pool thing.......and never even thought of the plastic ones.

We looked around at a few fibreglass ones - like the one from conmurra (and they are great). We ended up getting one built from a fibreglass place as we wanted one a little bit bigger (its maybe a bit tooo big - probably a good size for a st bernard... :mad )

Although it basically kept 8 active puppies contained until around 4 weeks of age, and very easy to keep clean.