How Do You Maintain Your Leashes After The Beach?

kelpiecuddles

Just wondering if anyone has any tips? i try to keep the leashes off the sand as much as possible but despite it sitting on a clean rock and then hanging around my neck it still had sand and salt in it when I got home. i rinsed it in freshwater and then squirted some WD-40 into the clips on the leash and the splitter but wondering if anyone has any better suggestions to keep them nice? I've always just used cheap $2 shop leads since they walk well but I just lashed out a bit and bought them nice pretty new collars and a new matching $30 lead plus a $25 splitter so i'd like it all to last a fair while.

If it gets wet and sandy (rare, I always carry it and don't let it get wet with salt water if I can help it) I always rinse it in fresh water and let it dry properly. I've managed to not throw a lead out in 2.5 years so far, but I think that's more to do with my not letting it get salty than me rinsing it.

I use older leads and collars at the beach. They do get wet and sandy.

Some leads probably better quality last regardless and the clip still works. The really cheap clips rust and get stuck. My friend says she puts oil in her clips but I don't bother.

Rodz dog? leads that I have last for years even if used at the beach.

I hate getting the collars stuffed thou. They get wet,rust and fade so just use old ones at the beach.

BUt it's worth it! I love the beach biggrin.gif

I'm assuming it's leather you're talking about. I would wash it in fresh cold water, allow to dry naturally, it will probably then feel dry and hard. I'd then use a good quality leather conditioner, the creamy type, not the liquidy ones, and let it soak in. I use Ge Wy, but they dont make it anymore. :cry:

If you know before hand that you're going to the beach give them a good oiling before as well.

Not leather. I have had leather ones in the past but they just don't dry quick enough

Oh, well probably just what you're already doing. Maybe just go back to el cheapo ones for the beach. I used to have plastic bridles for my horses that I called their bathers. :laugh:

We make all weather resistant syn tek (faux leather) leashes and collars and that's all I use for swimming the dogs now. Sand doesn't stick to them and they repel water so don't need drying. I still love leather but wouldn't use it at the beach etc.

Yep the syntek/ biothane/ all weather leashes are the best especially if getting wet. Just wipe them dry and rinse off the clips. The clips are brass so they last much longer but still need to rinse out any sand or salt. They're my favourite leads.

In summer here we have to keep the dogs on lead so I go swimming with the dogs on leads. So they get lots of sand and salt water on them! I just wash them out with tap water when I get home and then put them into the washing machine. They are still going strong after 4 years.

The kelps used to go to the beach everyday so I got them some EzyDog neoprene collars. A bit bulky and stiff for everyday use but survived the beach perfectly. Used a fairly good quality leash and just occasionaly rinsed the clips and wd40'ed every few months, they are still going strong too.

We are daily beach goers here & I don't seem to have to much trouble with my leads/collars. In do look after my gear. I buy good quality collars/leads. Blackdog, Ezydog & am going to try the new

Syntek ones from K9 Pro if they bring out a limited slip collar.. I don't trust the cheap gear. IMHO not worth the risk with precious cargo.. I have had my gear for 3 or 4 years now.

I wash my leads & collars in the washing machine in a delicates zip bag every couple of months. I also spray mine clips with lanolin spray once a fortnight when completely dry. I find it works better than WD40.

I have also used cooking oil spray which seems to work well to.

hrm, I never thought about it because Dieter swims in a river, but I am thinking about taking him to the coast so might have to dig out and old lead, I only recently got him a new lead after 10 years and I want it to last