What's The Most Frustrating Statement Someone Has Made To You Late

kelpiecuddles

I had a lady come in to work today and buy a dog bed, collar, lead, etc. My work mate asked her if she was getting a new dog to which she replied, "I've got my name down for a border collie puppy but I'm having second thoughts because they're a working dog and you can't just leave them in the yard to entertain themselves...so I was thinking about a beagle instead"!

Cue me jumping in to explain that beagles are hounds so they like to be around their pack and that left to their own devices they can be prone to escaping, destructive behaviours and barking. I reminded her that both breeds have some big pros and cons and that maybe neither are right for her and maybe she needs to think a bit further about what sort of dog would suit her lifestyle.

She probably thought I was crazy but I am constantly amazed that so many people just have no clue about the dogs that they are planning to buy. Really it is no wonder so many end up in pounds :(

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About my foster dog Heidi. "She's a kelpie, kelpies are working dogs, why is she visiting people in the nursing home?" me: "Heidi is a failed working dog but loves people, so the nursing home asked her to visit" Lady: "If she's not a good worker she should have been shot, labradors are therapy dogs, not kelpies."

Edited by mixeduppup

I work at a vet hospital and I own one and am fostering another amstaff cross. Both lovely dogs with other dogs and with people. Its not what is said, its what the looks say. "Not sure if staffy or loaded gun..."

Finally found a suitable dog for a lady that's been bugging me about getting one for her for 3 weeks (I had taken down all the criteria), sent through the picture and she leaves me a message saying she's changed her mind, dogs shed hair and she's scared of Chihuahuas ....

This little dog couldn't be sweeter.

Edited by dogmad

Some people truly are clueless Steph. I joked to someone that the little chi puppy I was holding was 'really a rottweiler' because of it's personality and she turned to her father and said, "See, I told you it wasn't a chihuahua, it's a rottweiler" Sadly she was serious :eek:

There's no response for some people, just nod and back away...

It's not a thing that people say, more that they do, but people who stop to greet Gus and encourage him to jump up on them. I am all for him meeting friendly people but for heavens sake! Even after I mention one day he'll be close to 40kg (sometimes I exaggerate that to make a point :o ) and it will be much less cute then, they still persist. My standard introduction has become a rapid fire "This is Gus, he's an FCR and if he jumps on you or happens to get any item of clothing on your person in his mouth please give him a nudge off, stand up and give him nothing til he relaxes and sits down"

I repeat variants of that like a well rehearsed airline hostess!

We've worked very hard to nip the jumping and excitement mouthing in the bud, and he only does it when he's wound up by strangers. Drives me mad!

Oh yes I know, very frustrating! Funnily enough my kelpie will jump up to say hello on an adult but wouldn't dare on a child. The reason that in the past when she's jumped on strang adults they more often than not will pat her regardless of whether I am telling them to growl at her and tell her to sit, if she jumps on a child she is growled at straight away so she's developed a double standard now :p

I have been asked "Are your dogs Greyhound puppies & why aren't they wearing muzzles" also "how about feeding the poor skinny dogs" :banghead:

I have Whippets you so & so people can be so think headed

my friends have Staffies they are great little bulldozers :rofl: