What's The Most Frustrating Statement Someone Has Made To You Late

kelpiecuddles

Guest hankodie

Heard this gem today, after a woman watched me do some distraction training with my GR pup: "You need to stop feeding him treats! He's only following you around and listening to you because he knows you have treats!"

That's.......... kind of the point.......... :confused:

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah yes you have to love that. I have a 16 week old puppy I was doing some stack training with. I inadvertantly trained ears and expression - which I now capitalise on :)

Oh yes well of course that will happen if you use food. Said in a very condascending way. Um yep and????

I am training him and getting it faster (which to you is a bad thing because I used food??) I don't get it. I get great behavior more quickly but because I use food to "bribe" my dog it isn't valid????????????????

I bribe my dog with a jar of peanut butter not to scream, yell and threaten to tear the ears off every dog he sees. I managed to have a quiet conversation across the road with a lady holding a poodle today. We discussed what I was doing and finally came to the sad conclusion that "its only a trick, I'm not really changing how he feels."

Haha he has Prozac to change how he feels and on bad days I have some to change how I feel about how he feels but truth is who cares how anyone feels, he's not yelling and we all feel better about that.

My dog has trained me to provide him a stream of treats when he interacts politely with a dog at obedience that I know he finds a challenge . He will allow some polite sniffing and then look straight at me with his best I deserve a treat face. I am happy to provide it because regardless of his motivation he is practicing the desired behaviour and his social skills have improved enormously. Win win is how I see it.

I bribe my dog with a jar of peanut butter not to scream, yell and threaten to tear the ears off every dog he sees. I managed to have a quiet conversation across the road with a lady holding a poodle today. We discussed what I was doing and finally came to the sad conclusion that "its only a trick, I'm not really changing how he feels."

Haha he has Prozac to change how he feels and on bad days I have some to change how I feel about how he feels but truth is who cares how anyone feels, he's not yelling and we all feel better about that.

Isn't that called distraction and redirection, something like that, it works on kids too. If it works it's in, eventually you might not need the peanut butter. I started with treats to get my dog to retrieve, she doesn't need them now retrieving has become a habit and the praise is enough.

I trained her to "wait" using the same method, with a finger click, so when I open a gate or door and say "wait" she doesn't charge through them. She doesn't need treats for that anymore either, just the finger click will do it.

How do these people think they pick up tricks or habits? By adding value to the action.

I've had the same thing, while training Rosie to come back to check in with us while at the park rather than just bolting around and around and around us and losing us I shovel cheese into her face and love her right up every time she comes to us whether called or voluntary and I've had one woman say I was spoiling her fun making her come back to us when she was clearly having so much of a blast running about.

Perhaps they didn't know how much Rosie likes cheese...

frustrating statement? that we abuse dogs at the kennel I work at. the accuser? a former employee, who was FIRED after she DRAGGED A DOG UP FRONT AND KICKED HIM IN THE FACE. that lovely gal has opened her own kennel and goes around the city telling everyone that we abuse the dogs, and she comes across as such a nice sweet sincere girl that people believe her and start taking their dogs to this kennel instead. when she was fired she tried to sue for wrongful termination and her caseworker fully believed her story, after all she is such a nice, sweet girl, how could anyone not trust her? except that my employer had proof of what this girl had done(we have cameras everywhere for gods sake) showed him the evidence along with all the notes this girl had written about the dogs in our communication book "such and such dog is an ******* ****, and should not be allowed anywhere ever" etc.. her case worker was shocked, dropped the charges and ordered her to cease and desist. so of coarse now this nut bar is getting involved in the "dog" community, joining the dog clubs, competing, and whispering to all the canine powers that be, that we abuse dogs :banghead: this nut was fired 2 YEARS ago now, like get over it already! its soooo frustrating! its like "note to self..just because an ex employee says something about a business, does not make it true" :mad

"I don't like pit bulls, they just don't have a friendly face and they scare me."

But somehow the person was ok showering my Amstaff boy with attention :confused:

I just don't get it, they're so similar in appearance (some may say close to identical)..

You'll probably find the person thinks that Bull Terriers are Pit Bulls - every time someone has said that they don't like Pit Bulls because they're so ugly I've asked them to describe one and they describe the classic shape of the Bull Terrier head (which I love!).

You are changing how he feels, even if he doesn't realise it you are subconsciously creating a positive association with other dogs ("there's a dog...now I'm eating yummy peanut butter"), the two are getting linked in his head :)

My favourite treat training comments are about recalls, "oh they're only coming because they know they'll get a treat"... exactly, that's why they come every time I call them, your dog's still over there because there isn't enough value in coming to you :shrug: (like Steph said).

frustrating statement? that we abuse dogs at the kennel I work at. the accuser? a former employee, who was FIRED after she DRAGGED A DOG UP FRONT AND KICKED HIM IN THE FACE. that lovely gal has opened her own kennel and goes around the city telling everyone that we abuse the dogs, and she comes across as such a nice sweet sincere girl that people believe her and start taking their dogs to this kennel instead. when she was fired she tried to sue for wrongful termination and her caseworker fully believed her story, after all she is such a nice, sweet girl, how could anyone not trust her? except that my employer had proof of what this girl had done(we have cameras everywhere for gods sake) showed him the evidence along with all the notes this girl had written about the dogs in our communication book "such and such dog is an ******* ****, and should not be allowed anywhere ever" etc.. her case worker was shocked, dropped the charges and ordered her to cease and desist. so of coarse now this nut bar is getting involved in the "dog" community, joining the dog clubs, competing, and whispering to all the canine powers that be, that we abuse dogs :banghead: this nut was fired 2 YEARS ago now, like get over it already! its soooo frustrating! its like "note to self..just because an ex employee says something about a business, does not make it true" :mad

I'm always a bit wary when job candidates start making disparaging remarks about their old work place, it generally means they take no responsibility towards what happened.

In this case if what she is saying was true she could have reported it to the appropriate authorities and they would have handled it, there's no need to continue going on about it.

The fact that after 2 years she's still lying and making these comments says that she's still resentful about what happened and doesn't take any responsibility for her actions. Hopefully other people see this but unfortunately there are too many people in the world that believe anything they are told. Hopefully business hasn't suffered too much.

"I don't like pit bulls, they just don't have a friendly face and they scare me."

But somehow the person was ok showering my Amstaff boy with attention :confused:

I just don't get it, they're so similar in appearance (some may say close to identical)..

You'll probably find the person thinks that Bull Terriers are Pit Bulls - every time someone has said that they don't like Pit Bulls because they're so ugly I've asked them to describe one and they describe the classic shape of the Bull Terrier head (which I love!).

I think this website is awesome... http://www.pickthepit.com/

I showed it to my OH and he failed miserably. :laugh:

I have to admit I used to think Bull terriers were pit bulls when i was younger but Cesar Millan showed me I was wrong

Guest hankodie

I am training him and getting it faster (which to you is a bad thing because I used food??) I don't get it. I get great behavior more quickly but because I use food to "bribe" my dog it isn't valid????????????????

am happy to provide it because regardless of his motivation he is practicing the desired behaviour and his social skills have improved enormously. Win win is how I see it.

How do these people think they pick up tricks or habits? By adding value to the action.

Glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by these types of comments! Seriously who cares how you get there in the end, if food is a valuable tool then why not use it?

I told the lady politely that having him work for treats was the best and quickest way to get him to learn and pick up new things, I explained I could probably make him work for a toy as well but food just seems to work better/faster. She said "he should be listening to you because you are his master and you are in charge, not because he knows you have chicken on you!"

I've also gotten "oh what a clever dog!" and then upon seeing that Hank was sitting/doing tricks for food "ohhh but you're feeding him treats. Maybe not so clever, just hungry!"

I usually don't let comments from strangers get to me but those types of comments annoy me so much because I work damn hard on both of my dogs! I've invested a hell of a lot of time for someone just to dismiss it as "oh you've got treats and that's all there is to it"

I have to admit I used to think Bull terriers were pit bulls when i was younger but Cesar Millan showed me I was wrong

cool site... I got it wrong too :laugh: but interesting just to see what the other dogs actually are... I've never heard of some of them.

Got it right, red nose gave it to me but do all PBTs have red noses? Don't think so. Hear that many council officers believe if it has a red nose it must be one, but so do other breeds!!

She said "he should be listening to you because you are his master and you are in charge, not because he knows you have chicken on you!"

That's archaic thinking. Wouldn't let that stress you out!

Who ever said that to you Hankodie doesn't know anything about what motivates a dog or any other creature. Steph is right it's very old fashioned thinking.

First night back in my home town. I forgot how many bogans there are.

Some guy was trying to impress me with his "awesome animal training skills". Told me how he "asserted his dominance" over a horse and dog by punching them in the face... It's because his sister babies them apparently.

Safe to say he did not get anywhere with that.

Glad I'm not the only one who gets annoyed by these types of comments! Seriously who cares how you get there in the end, if food is a valuable tool then why not use it?

I told the lady politely that having him work for treats was the best and quickest way to get him to learn and pick up new things, I explained I could probably make him work for a toy as well but food just seems to work better/faster. She said "he should be listening to you because you are his master and you are in charge, not because he knows you have chicken on you!"

I've also gotten "oh what a clever dog!" and then upon seeing that Hank was sitting/doing tricks for food "ohhh but you're feeding him treats. Maybe not so clever, just hungry!"

I usually don't let comments from strangers get to me but those types of comments annoy me so much because I work damn hard on both of my dogs! I've invested a hell of a lot of time for someone just to dismiss it as "oh you've got treats and that's all there is to it"

I've heard all those things and more and my standard response to the 'my dog should do it just because' people is usually to ask them if they work for free?

The reality is that people who believe that and approach training their dogs that way rarely ever have a dog with any real reliable obedience or life skills. Keep doing what you are doing if it is working well for your dog :)

Edited by huski

I find a large amount of people that say those things to me have dogs that are only doing what they are told to avoid a kick.

I much prefer to have my dog WANT to do something, whether it be for a tug or food, than to do it because it's scared of me.