Dogs Involved In Fatal Car Accident

DesertDobes

So my husband who is a policeman attended a fatal car accident where unfortunately the owner passed away but 2 dogs which were in the car survived. Another quick thinking policeman on the scene found their food in the car, washed the blood off them and checked they were alright after having to give first aid to the owner until the local clinic staff arrived.

They are an older KCC and a slightly younger maltese x

They seem pretty unscathed considering what they went through, we are waiting to find out what family for the deceased will want to do with them but at the moment I don't think they are going anywhere soon, hopefully the family will take the dogs on as they seem like nice little doggies.

We're keeping them calm and settled and away from our big terrors, no vets nearby to check them but they seem ok except for a few small scratches and scrapes. They are older dogs and the KCC is not particularly mobile.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were obviously well loved by their mum and I hope that the family will come through for them, but they can stay as long as they need to poor little things. I was very impressed by the young policeman who first helped them and their mum, even being organised to look through the car for things the dogs needed in a stressful time like that.

If God forbid anything like that happened to my OH and me, I pray there is someone like you and your hubby around. People like your hubby, the other policeman and you give me faith in humanity.

I hope those two little darlings find their way back to family to be loved and taken care of.

Our Dogs Victoria membership cards which we should carry with our licences maybe have on them that the person has dogs at home which may need care in an emergency, it is not only accidents, sometimes people take ill suddenly or have some other disaster where they may be unable to communicate that they have dogs at home

Thank you for doing this. What a horrific experience for a dog to go through. They were very lucky to survive. I've mentioned this on here before (in a previous life I used to assist in determining what caused road fatalities) but untethered dogs do become projectiles in accidents, which can become lethal to them and any people in the car. No idea whether these guys were tethered or contained somehow but you have to assume the impact was a big one to have a human fatality.

RIP to the poor owner.

I think the dogs had walking harnesses on, maybe they were tethered?

My husband and I were talking this morning about how good it is to have a breeder who will rehome our dogs in a case like this because I don't think our combined family would take both of them.

How horrible to have to attend something like this. I'm so glad that the little dogs have someone like you and your hubby to look out for them. :( Do you know their names at all?

I hope their owner didn't suffer and my thoughts go out to the family. :(

We don't know their names, calling them little boy and little girl :o very original

Thank you "numpties with guns" (to quote another DOLer referring to police) for doing right by these dogs. :)

yeah, I don't normally advertise my husbands good deeds but it was a sad irony that this happened at the same time as that "other" topic started

There was another horrible and entirely preventable accident on the South Eastern Freeway near Bridgewater SA last week...

A woman stopped her car on the side of the road in the breakdown lane because it wouldn't go, and when she opened her car door - her dog got out ran onto the freeway, she chased it and both ended up dead. Really sad and nasty.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/reflex-action8217-drew-woman-to-catch-dog-and-be-fatally-struck-by-car-on-southeastern-freeway/story-fnii5yv7-1226707904104

The idea of carrying a card to alert emergency services about pets at home is a good idea.

So many tragic incidents happen in a split second.

Congratulations to your hubby and his colleague, Discodobe, and to you all for looking after these little dogs.

The idea of carrying a card to alert emergency services about pets at home is a good idea.

I believe the RSPCA has a special sticker that you can leave by your door alerting any services of the animals (numbers, etc) in the house in times of emergencies.

Thank you "numpties with guns" (to quote another DOLer referring to police) for doing right by these dogs. :)

yeah, I don't normally advertise my husbands good deeds but it was a sad irony that this happened at the same time as that "other" topic started

And good to see it DD. Too many of the little things that cops do every day go unrecognised, but can make the biggest differences for somebody out there. Hope he's ok after being at the scene as well. It's nice you two seem very supportive of each other. :thumbsup:

My husband was lucky in a sense that he arrived after the other police and by that time the person was in the care of the clinic staff. It is really hard on anyone who has to perform CPR when the outcome is not good- its pretty crushing and I don't think I could do it.