Toy Poodle Puppy In Crate

htmfdq

Hi

We have just bought a Toy poodle puppy 8 weeks old. We have bought a crate with 61cm(L)*41cm(H)*48cm(D). We leave the crate inside and the puppy has been good for the last 2 nights. The puppy is for my 12yrs old daughter and we have 2 boys 7 and 8.

My question is how long can you keep the puppy in the crate ( I have used the crate divider to half the available space mention above)? generally my wife is at home but this Friday she is helping with the School Athletics carnival so she will be out of the house from 8am till 6:00pm.

if we put water in the crate can we leave the puppy in the crate for that long?

Please advise. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

Hmmm, I really think that would be too long as the little poodle probably needs to do a wee every couple of hours.

You could make him a secure spot outside for the day using a puppy pen.

Include water and some chew toys. Make sure there is a bit that is sheltered.

I would work on getting pup used to spending some time in the pen in the lead up to Friday :)

Agree - way too long for puppy to be left in a crate. Puppy play pen is the go - either outside as raineth suggests, or maybe better for such a wee baby, inside - on hard flooring preferably - with newspapers down - and maybe pee pads as ell if you'd like - if pup is not a shredder. A non-spill water bowl, and crate or bed in one corner.

You should find all you need at PetBarn or something similar. :D And do we get to see puppy pics, please? :)

I would never leave a pup in a crate for that long - he would need to wee and poo in the crate and then sleep next to it. Is there shelter outside? Do you have a dog door?

I don't have a dog door but I have secured court yard with shelter. the majority of the court yards is paved and surrounded by a garden bed. with a grass patch under a mango tree where he has been doing his poos and wees.

Guest donatella

I would definitely play pen or gate off a tiled cool room (kitchen, bathroom etc, door open).

As a toy breed owner, if it were me, I would find a puppysitter, someone who is happy to have puppy at their house for the day.

Playpen somewhere, laundry or bathroom. But make sure you've been getting the puppy used to spending time on it's own before then so it doesn't scream down the whole neighbourhood for the whole day! I don't really think babysitting is essential, reality is that at some point the dog is going to be on it's own for a long period so why get it used to having people around all the time if that isn't reality. But make sure you leave lots of fun stuff to keep him busy and if someone can pop in to take him out to the toilet and replenish the fun things (like kongs and chews and whatnot) then that would be a good break in the day. As long as he is somewhere secure with enough space but can't get in to trouble he will survive the day!

Today is Monday so you have 5 days before then to help puppy get ready. Unless there is some reason your courtyard isn't secure or the weather would be unsuitable I think the courtyard would be fine. I would suggest that your wife puts the crate outside each day when puppy is fairly tired, leave the door open and allow the puppy to get used to a little bit of alone time. Start with short periods and try to only go out and retrieve puppy when settled(so if puppy falls asleep leave him and try to go out when he's just waking up, before he gets upset and starts to whine so he doesn't think whining is the way to get you to come and get him). So maybe this afternoon for a short while(or a little longer if he is settled and falls asleep) and then increase up to a few hours on Thursday. If he can cope for a few hours on Thursday then he should be OK on Friday, he might not be super happy but he'll cope and he does need to learn at some point that he will survive if he's alone.

Today is Monday so you have 5 days before then to help puppy get ready. Unless there is some reason your courtyard isn't secure or the weather would be unsuitable I think the courtyard would be fine. I would suggest that your wife puts the crate outside each day when puppy is fairly tired, leave the door open and allow the puppy to get used to a little bit of alone time. Start with short periods and try to only go out and retrieve puppy when settled(so if puppy falls asleep leave him and try to go out when he's just waking up, before he gets upset and starts to whine so he doesn't think whining is the way to get you to come and get him). So maybe this afternoon for a short while(or a little longer if he is settled and falls asleep) and then increase up to a few hours on Thursday. If he can cope for a few hours on Thursday then he should be OK on Friday, he might not be super happy but he'll cope and he does need to learn at some point that he will survive if he's alone.

I think this seems to be a good idea. My wife already has tried it today.The only thing is he pooed on the concrete but he slept in the crate on his own.

She will leave him this avo to get the kids from school and see how he goes.

Edited by htmfdq

pooing on the concrete is better than pooing in the crate!

I too think the courtyard sounds like a good place to leave your pup. As long as it's very secure, and the pup has access to the crate, and toys and water, it should be all good.

I too think the courtyard sounds like a good place to leave your pup. As long as it's very secure, and the pup has access to the crate, and toys and water, it should be all good.

Agreed. Pooing anywhere outside is a Very Good Thing ;)

Guest donatella

While the odds are low, are you confident there are no snakes/birds of prey in your area? An 8 week old toy breed is deliciously tempting. Make sure he is really away and safe.

To me the courtyards seems secure. The only area that I am not sure off is where the grass patch is. Can Toy poodle dig under fences? the grass patch is adjacent to the wooden fence which is lower that the soil (so to access the other side the puppy will need to dig.

While the odds are low, are you confident there are no snakes/birds of prey in your area? An 8 week old toy breed is deliciously tempting. Make sure he is really away and safe.

I am sure of that one. No snakes or birds of prey.