Difficult Time Getting Off The Floor

kwirky

We have a wonderful Golden who is a little over 14 years old (but sometimes acts like a puppy!!) who has started having a hard time getting up from the hardwood floor if he has been laying there for a while.

From watching him it appears as though his front legs slide a bit while he tries to get his back legs up.

We know he has some athritic changes which we are giving him liquid glucosamine for, which does not seem to be painful.

Can anyone suggest something which will make getting up a liitle easier?

I know we can use some rubber backed rugs however he does not always sit on them so that would be hard to manage. Are there some shoes which are recommended which would help?

I recently purchased some ToeGrips which give him some confidence however they do not seem to help all the time.

This morning I heard him at about 2.00am getting frustrated when he couldn't get up :(

thanks

Joanne

post-36628-0-27910100-1378848446_thumb.png

Ohh..dear old boy ..love his legwarmers :) That photo is just :love:

it may be time for a vet assessment ..to see if there is anything available which might help .. however it may be that his old legs are not strong enough anymore to cope with slippery floor and creaky joints. Would he stay in a moveable pen , so he can be on rugs/carpet to give him more of a chance ?

It must be so frustrating :(

A trampoline bed is a good idea as it is already up and they seem to find it easier to rise and step off.

If it is arthritis, maybe cartrophen injections may help, talk to your vet. Or some other treatments and supplements.

You could use a towel under his tummy (you holding both ends) and help him up.

As you said, adding mats all over the place, so he is more inclined to lay on them and that way he has something for traction to get up.

With my 14 year old Stafford, I found the tramp bed the best and he had a couple. One in the lounge room (although most of the time he preferred to snooze on the lounge because he could slide onto it and off it again, without stressing his joints and he had one in the backyard to lay in the sun.

The legwarmers are something I use because he obsessively licks his legs unless they are covered :)

He is still very active and never was one to sleep in the one spot all night - he will wonder around then plop somewhere else.

Hunter has one more week to go with the Cartrophen shots, which seem to be working well. The problem is only when he has been sleeping or laying for a while.

I do help him up, no issues there, but we work so I would like him to be indepdendant as mush as possible, if that makes sense.

He's a sweetie :)

Cartrophen is excellent stuff but it is not pain relief. Old dogs can be incredibly stoic and it's things like a difficulty in getting up that can indicate they are in pain. I would chat with the vet about pain relief. If you try it and it makes no difference then so be it. Can you restrict him to a few rooms with access to outside that only have rugs?

Edited by The Spotted Devil

The legwarmers are something I use because he obsessively licks his legs unless they are covered :)

He is still very active and never was one to sleep in the one spot all night - he will wonder around then plop somewhere else.

My old boy licks his legs obsessively when his arthritis is causing him pain. It might be worth talking to the vet about pain management meds for him

He's a sweetie :)

Cartrophen is excellent stuff but it is not pain relief. Old dogs can be incredibly stoic and it's things like a difficulty in getting up that can indicate they are in pain. I would chat with the vet about pain relief. If you try it and it makes no difference then so be it. Can you restrict him to a few rooms with access to outside that only have rugs?

Good point.

Good advice. We had an elderly Sheltie who was greatly helped by a course of Cartrophen injections. But she was also given a medication for pain relief. Wish I could remember the name.... started with M. Interestingly, the same M-whatever pain relief med was prescribed by the vet for our young female Tibbie after her desexing.

ADDED: Was it Metacam?

Edited by mita

I was very happy with a product called Cherry Knoll's Sure Foot (spelling might be incorrect). It's made for dogs in the show ring so they don't slip but it was great for my old girl with degenerative myelopathy.

My old girl Poochie was given a combination of Cartrophen injections and a daily dose of Rimadyl for her arthritis. Definitely agree with the hammock beds too -- they seem to make lying down and standing again much easier.

Your boy is just lovely; what's his name? I think it's harder on an oldie when they're young at heart but their bodies are failing. I don't blame the poor boy getting frustrated. :(

Best of luck with your vet appointment and keep us updated. Oh and more photos please!! :D

I've got wooden floors so have researched a bit on non slip just in case. :)

There are traction booties, little rubber grippers you slide onto the toenail and little grippers you stick onto the pads (I'm not sure about the safety of glueing to the pad!), and apparently a traction spray but have a look at handicappedpets.com for some ideas.

I agree, get on top of the pain, support his joints, and make it easier to get around.

I've been trialling what so far has been the most effective and palatable joint support powder here. (give Georgina a call if you need to quiz her about the product)

BTW he's gorgeous!! :love:

Edited by Powerlegs

we actually find the hammock beds worse for arthritic dogs especially getting up.(large)

We use Bowen too & swear by it ,i also agree that pain meds have there purpose at these times .

My old boy had a mattress (camping shop) to lay on because he could spread out & not be confined to the hammock only area & could get up & flop elsewhere on the mattress,it was also less pressure on his joints & his body was relaxed fully instead of curled into a ball,

Sadly his getting up became all to much & he was given his wings because we also new that if we went out & he was unable to get up it could have ended in a very sad way especially in summer .

Feet wise yep trimming the hair,making sure nauils are short as possible & you can wipe the build up of the feet .

Often the soreness is in the shoulders/nech which makes getting up harder & after struggling it pulls on other muscles hence why bowen is wonderful & red light treatment

I was doing some research and see that there has been some good feedback on Tumeric as a pain reliever. I am going to get some and give it a go (you mix it in Olive Oil and chicken stock).

We have a trampoline bed - stuck his nose up at that one :)

Following this thread with interest, and hope your boy gets some relief soon. He's gorgeous!

When I had similar issues with my old boy, I ended up confining him to the one room with non-slip mats scattered around so there was always one close to him when he was trying to get up.

HW, is there someone you'd recommend for Bowen therapy in Sydney?

I'll jump in first and recommend Sandy Waugh for Bowen in the Sydney area. She's amazing. http://www.animalbowenaustralia.com.au/

I have found that big dogs can gradually just lose the strength to get their frames up from the floor as they really age. So while pain relief etc can make them more comfortable, if the strength is fading it won't actually help them lift up.

If you can encourage him to sleep on something firm but raised it can help - like a low daybed/sofa. But old habits die hard and he will probably still go and lie on the floor...

efs

Edited by Alyosha