Buying A Puppy

01kismet

Hi,

We are looking at buying a puppy in the near future. I've email a few breeders (is that my first mistake?) but feel I am doing something wrong as not one has responded, its been a week today.

I've been providing basic information in my emails to see if they think we'd suit them first such as

owning our own house

current pets

kid situtation

what we're looking for (basically a male pup that may have some protective instincts, male as our other dogs a desexed girl)

now on this last one I'm not sure if it the way we've raised our current dog (a pedigree girl) but lets just say we had people break in and she welcomed them with licks and kiss's (all good nothing hurt, we were home at the time and got a fright but a bark would of been nice, you know just a bark as they were pulling out the window screens :). ) I did say I wasn't sure if this was the way we raised her or if its because she's such a family /show line. (GSD).

Any way tips on what I should be telling them or how to start would be greatly appreciated, I'm not sure if I'm just being impatient, if I should be ringing or if I'm sharing too early ? We're not in a rush, we're not worried about money just finding a pup that will fit with us.

thanks

Are you contacting people who have advertised litters for sale? If they don't have anything available they will probably not respond

My advice, ring them. And don't leave mobile numbers for them to ring back. Also consider trying the state breed club as they have puppy officers who have details of available pups/older dogs.

Thanks, I was only contacting people with litters due or currently taking names. I might start the call around, I like to chat, I just wasn't sure how it was meant to be done.

I might ring the people I've emailed as at least they'll know our basics. :) Then I was starting to worry I might have sounded a little strange or pushy for sharing at the start. I just thought it'd give more of an idea of what we can offer and if its what they find suitable.

The protective instinct, depending on how you have worded it, MAY ring alarm bells..... it may not as well. You could always leave that bit out and raise it in a phone conversation or when you visit them, that way you can explain it better and any misunderstandings can be sorted out in the conversation. While your intentions may be sincere, someone elses that may want a "protective instinct" may not be.....

Thanks, I was only contacting people with litters due or currently taking names. I might start the call around, I like to chat, I just wasn't sure how it was meant to be done.

I might ring the people I've emailed as at least they'll know our basics. :) Then I was starting to worry I might have sounded a little strange or pushy for sharing at the start. I just thought it'd give more of an idea of what we can offer and if its what they find suitable.

I like to see a lot of relevant information in an email contact, can't stand the ones that say do you have any puppies available and how much. I like to email first so breeders can respond in their own time, some breeders do prefer phone calls though and hate to be emailed.

I agree about the 'protective instinct' maybe being what has caused issues. I'm sure the poor GSD breeders get more than their share of yahoos who think that just because it's a GSD they'll get an agro guard dog, stating you were looking for protective instincts might have got them worried if they misunderstood you just wanted a dog that would bark if there was a reason.

I did wonder about that, I still wonder too if if it's how we've raised Sierra, as in shushed her now she doesn't bark. She's such a good dog, just beautiful and so soft temperment wise an absolute dream but occassionally a bark would be nice. She lives inside but doesn't care if anyone comes to visit, she'll follow us to the door but not go by herself etc.

We tried teaching her to 'speak' and getting people to visit and giving a treat if she made any kind of noise, just didn't happen. She is from show lines so we were thinking maybe working lines this time? We do obedience, daily exercise and someone is home full time so I think something with a little stronger drive would cope. Sierra is food motivated and likes to please but not ocd, if you do it too long she'll just lay down and give you the big puppy dog eyes. We love her which is why we were thinking another GSD.

Hi Kismet :)

Its very exciting when looking for a puppy ! biggrin.gif

I was in that position over a year ago and even tho I was known to some breeders already (as im a member of the Cavalier Club here in SA) I still had to go onto a waiting list like everybody else. Some breeds of dogs can take a while to get if the breeders don't breed their dogs that often.

When we first were looking at getting our first Cavalier many years ago, I had rung up quite a few breeders and chatted to them personally and shown my interest. I even met them at a dog show but made sure I didn't bother them while they were getting ready to go into the ring.

With our current puppy, I emailed several breeders over a long period of time and only had a couple replies , even after my follow up email to the other ones frown.gif

Luckily fate fell into place and one of the breeders we had known through the club was planning on having a litter and we were able to put our name on her list . We were placed high on her list as she did know us and she knew our background with owning Cavaliers (so that helped heaps in our case!) There was never any promises made that she would place one of them with us, it was dependent on how many her bitch had, and which ones she was going keep for showing etc.. But it worked out perfectly in the end and even tho we never once said which sex we were preferring, (as it didn't matter to us) she choose a female for us, which is what we really wanted deep down anyway! biggrin.gif

The only thing i was adamant about was that i wanted a particular colour , so it was also dependent on if her bitch had a puppy in that colour (and if the breeder wasn't after that colour also)

If this hadn't worked out I would have had to start all over again, but it did thankfully. Sometimes it can take time and lots of effort to find the right puppy and the right breeder.

Good Luck with finding your perfect puppy! crossfingers.gif

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

I'd try calling if I got no response. It is unfortunate they haven't replied, I thought we wanted people to buy pups from ethical breeders, can't do much if they ignore you!

As others have said maybe you mentioning protection gave them the wrong idea. If you really like their dogs I'd call and explain what you mean. Other than that the info you've given sounds great.

Good luck, let us know how you go! :)

I did wonder about that, I still wonder too if if it's how we've raised Sierra, as in shushed her now she doesn't bark. She's such a good dog, just beautiful and so soft temperment wise an absolute dream but occassionally a bark would be nice. She lives inside but doesn't care if anyone comes to visit, she'll follow us to the door but not go by herself etc.

We tried teaching her to 'speak' and getting people to visit and giving a treat if she made any kind of noise, just didn't happen. She is from show lines so we were thinking maybe working lines this time? We do obedience, daily exercise and someone is home full time so I think something with a little stronger drive would cope. Sierra is food motivated and likes to please but not ocd, if you do it too long she'll just lay down and give you the big puppy dog eyes. We love her which is why we were thinking another GSD.

Maybe she never barks because she doesn't think the situation warrants it, her pack is all there and safe.......................would probably be different story if she was really needed to arc up...................many owners of dogs have been amazed at the dog when the situation called for it...........the strong silent type is often bolder than the yappy type.........I've seen it when threatened............don't think show lines has anything to do with it, they are all dogs!! I would not go for a working type unless I was prepared to cater for its needs to work

Show lines makes no difference & its important to understand working lines & what effort you may need.

Its not a case of a GSD is a GSD & this is a big issue we have in my breed people buying working lines & not fully understanding there needs which can way more effort than the average pet owner wants .

My showline GSD was an awesome guard dog but above all he was a joy to live with & that above all is the most important .

If you contact the German Shepherd Club in your state they can tell you what litters are available or pending. They usually have a puppy listing Person who will help you.

You can also contact the German Shepherd Club in other states that are convenient for you to get to.....

It is actually pretty rude for breeders not to at least send a reply - especially if you do give a bit of information about yourself and your family because this does show that you are interested...... Don't worry about whether they are show lines or not.... just meet the mum and find a dog with a good attitude.

Maybe try talking to a DOLer, Nekhbet.

I believe they are quiet skilled with trained dogs and if you could explain your situation they could offer advice on how to approach breeders and what terminology to use when referring to a 'alert' dog.

Also may know a few suitable breeders for your purpose. If they mention a breeder who would be perfect but may not have a litter on the ground soon don't dismiss it.

Your asking for a certain temperament suitable for a family life but has a vocal response for visitors (mostly unwanted)not a highly reactive dog.

We're in North QLD so while there are some breeders up here its not a lot, with Sierra we let the breeder pick for us all we wanted was a girl as at that time we had a desexed boy. She choose wonderfully and except for the none barking at intruders in our home we haven't had an issue. I so don't want a dog that may place itself in danger (I heard of a dog being killed by intruders, so I'd rather she lick or run or whatever) but a bark would of been nice, just while they were removing the screen ever. I do understand she may have thought her pack not in danger but with 2 strange men in the house, kids asleep and us at the other end it was a shock. (The dog across the road didn't stop barking so we got up and surprise :dropjaw: )

I've looked at the websites for the breeders (mainly QLD for the moment) where they have things such as:

excellent companions and bred for work ethic, firm character and playfullness

suited to live as family companions/guardians, personal protection, sporting, tracking, detection dogs etc.

OUTGOING, EXCELLENT TEMPERMENTS. MANY HAVE EXCELLED IN SECURITY WORK, TRACKING AND LURE COURSING FIELD CHAMPIONS.

In my email I said

Our girl is obedience trained which we'll do with a new pup too, we are actually hoping for a boy with a slightly stronger protection instinct this time - our girls a love bunny we had people break in with us at home and she didn't make a noise so more a barker not guarding as such but to alert us. I hope that part makes sense :s I'm not sure if the protection instinct is part of their drive (our girl is show lines) or if its the way we've raised her.

I'll ring a few and have a chat that way we can get a feel for each other. Maybe I'm not being realistic in what I want. I'd hate to be in the position where she was really tested, I'd think if she'd had of barked it would of put the guys off but when we went out one was actually crouched with her giving her a pat. At least it ended well I suppose they left rather fast the only thing we had to do was catch the cat that'd taken off out the window they came in. Thanks all and who knows if you have GSD's I may end up speaking with you, I don't mind a chat.

Just saw the - Your asking for a certain temperament suitable for a family life but has a vocal response for visitors (mostly unwanted)not a highly reactive dog. -and that does actually sum it up perfectly. We got what we wanted with Sierra and now just need that little bit more vocal response. Might be easier to explain that over the phone and you've worded it beautifully. Thank you

Edited by 01kismet

We're in North QLD so while there are some breeders up here its not a lot, with Sierra we let the breeder pick for us all we wanted was a girl as at that time we had a desexed boy. She choose wonderfully and except for the none barking at intruders in our home we haven't had an issue. I so don't want a dog that may place itself in danger (I heard of a dog being killed by intruders, so I'd rather she lick or run or whatever) but a bark would of been nice, just while they were removing the screen ever. I do understand she may have thought her pack not in danger but with 2 strange men in the house, kids asleep and us at the other end it was a shock. (The dog across the road didn't stop barking so we got up and surprise :dropjaw: )

I've looked at the websites for the breeders (mainly QLD for the moment) where they have things such as:

excellent companions and bred for work ethic, firm character and playfullness

suited to live as family companions/guardians, personal protection, sporting, tracking, detection dogs etc.

OUTGOING, EXCELLENT TEMPERMENTS. MANY HAVE EXCELLED IN SECURITY WORK, TRACKING AND LURE COURSING FIELD CHAMPIONS.

In my email I said

Our girl is obedience trained which we'll do with a new pup too, we are actually hoping for a boy with a slightly stronger protection instinct this time - our girls a love bunny we had people break in with us at home and she didn't make a noise so more a barker not guarding as such but to alert us. I hope that part makes sense :s I'm not sure if the protection instinct is part of their drive (our girl is show lines) or if its the way we've raised her.

I'll ring a few and have a chat that way we can get a feel for each other. Maybe I'm not being realistic in what I want. I'd hate to be in the position where she was really tested, I'd think if she'd had of barked it would of put the guys off but when we went out one was actually crouched with her giving her a pat. At least it ended well I suppose they left rather fast the only thing we had to do was catch the cat that'd taken off out the window they came in. Thanks all and who knows if you have GSD's I may end up speaking with you, I don't mind a chat.

Just saw the - Your asking for a certain temperament suitable for a family life but has a vocal response for visitors (mostly unwanted)not a highly reactive dog. -and that does actually sum it up perfectly. We got what we wanted with Sierra and now just need that little bit more vocal response. Might be easier to explain that over the phone and you've worded it beautifully. Thank you

Add GSD into your topic title and'll you'll attract some more knowledgeable people as well but for what I read Nekhbet seems to know a fair bit and may know a Qld breeder.

Keep in mind that at any one time there could be 80 litters advertised on DOL so finding the right breeder for you may take more then a read of their stock.

Get recommendations from people who have one one of their dogs, trainers and even some vets. You need to check into your choice of breeder as much as a good breeder will check out their puppy homes. Maybe attend some obedience trials, and talk to GSD owners there. If they breed or who they got their dog from ect. Google the breeders name and prefix you never know what may pop up good or bad.

At 8 weeks, it may be very difficult to say whether any pup has any "protective instincts". Protective instincts to a point can be trained into a dog and comes with trust. Get friends to sneak around acting suspicious while you are inside and you going "who is it" - Pretend there is someone there and rewarding the dog for first showing interest and then for barking is the start. getting friends to rattle windows and doors (while you are inside with the dog on a lead) and again training the dog to be alert.

I have a BC here who is the biggest sook out. Her place is on the couch. I went through the above and she is a good alert dog. If we get a visitor, she is the first one to go to the door and tell you right off. She won't bite or anything, but she will certainly make a lot of noise and let you know someone is there. Border Collies are not known for their protective instincts.

I would be looking for something with a good temperament. Having a dog, especially a GSD will make a lot of people think twice before entering. The person that broke into your house, may either have not known you had a dog, or secondly scoped it out enough to know that your dog is harmless and where the dog would be at any given time. Be careful also what you wish for with a dog that is prone to barking. It is fine line between barking to let you know someone is there and have a nuisance barker which will annoy neighbours and inevitably, attract council attention.

At the end of the day, 99% of the time the dog will be a family pet and the temperament where it lives in a social environment is more important than that 1% where you may need it to be for protection.

Don't necessarily go overboard with your questions and requirements in the first contact. I have seen on here (and been sent the essay), it can be too much to read and too much information right up. Breeders don't need an essay on the first contact.

NEVER SMS asking about puppies. It's rude. Pick up the phone and give them a ring. Depending on where you are ringing, I don't necessarily agree about not leaving a mobile - if this is the best number to get you back on, then leave it. Nothing worse than ringing someone back only to constantly get voicemail. If you are local then certainly leave a local number. If I have to call long distance, the mobile costs the same to ring.

Bring up the protection thing later after you have made a rapport with the breeder. They need to have puppies available first. Once they have puppies, then the nitty gritty of what you are looking for and individual puppy temperaments.

I would keep your initial enquiry simple. I would mention you want a male, you have a desexed female and you have had GSD's before and you will do puppy/obedience training and you have the time/yard to give it. Mention you have X number children if relevant and ages maybe. Never say you are getting a dog for your children. Children are not responsible and while they will be an active part of the daily life of the dog, it is the parent that is responsible for the day to day care and well-being of the dog (health etc)

Having a dog, especially a GSD will make a lot of people think twice before entering.

You'd think so hey :laugh: They were 2 young men we didn't recognise them but there had been a crime spate in the area all over now thank goodness, I've no idea if they knew she was here or not but she was getting her loving from one of them. We've always made a point of sending Sierra to her crate when people come over (not friends unless they have little ones as she sometime knocks them down) but the repair people etc and letting them think she needs to be seperated or is being good as we are there.

Barking wouldn't be an issue as such as hubby is home full time and the dog (dogs) will be inside dogs, but yes we'll definatly be doing the encouraging to bark at someone at the door (not even front yard but door/window/house basically).

I'm pretty excited, not rushing but looking forward to the new addition when we find him. I'm hoping over the school holiday period so the kids will be home too and I'll have long holidays. Dogs not for the kids I'm afraid so that's not an issue it'll be for me hopefully although with hubby being home full time it may take to him more.

I wouldn't dream of SMS as a form of contact (bit old school) but did email the ones that had it saying I was interested then giving some stuff on us, saying if they wanted to know more and/or thought we were suitable to let us know. I did think if they thought we weren't suitable they could of let us know too, or if I'm looking at it wrongly why. I'm open to education and agree that the family pet is the most important part but yes there are different temperments/backgrounds as such and the breeder would know more about if their line suits us.

Best to chat personally I think, that's what I did with my girl as her breeder didn't have email or web. I wondering if I should just contact her again (no probs with the dog and what we wanted, just the breeder was hard to stay in contact with after we got her, I did update once a year for about 3 years then stopped as I felt like I was intruding.)

I am on acerage. So for me, as soon as a car can be heard at the driveway, I am on "who is it - watch" . Then as they are approaching the house ( you can hear car doors etc) I am the same and rewarding them for first being alert and them more if they bark or growl. By the time they see the person, they are telling them off. I finish with a good dog and then "enough".

Rather than send to a crate ( I do have inside crates) I tell them to sit and wait. Once I greet the friend etc, then I will release them. This way they are not separated from people when they first arrive. Depending on the situation, I will either tell them to go to crate, lie down etc..

I used to have a protection trained dobe. In the beginning, this was the training he got before the official bite and yard protection training.

Of course, it is something that is ongoing and is reinforced so my dogs do not become complacent to strangers.

If there were some breeders you were particularly interested in, give them a follow up call. The worst they can say is "no they don't have anything now or anything suitable" .

I know you have said that it has been a week, but one thing to consider is that sometimes people do need more time than that. Working all week, home in the evening to dogs/ family then shows on weekends can mean that they simply haven't had time to take more than a cursory look at your email. I try to respond as timely as possible but sometimes life gets in the way even though I intend to reply. Certainly try contacting them by phone if you are unsure, but don't give up on them all just yet.

I dont understand the concept of not leaving mobile numbers? I get it costs a tiny bit more than a landline to landline call, but we certainly have come a long way in costs of mobiles and it is very normal to leave mobile numbers as often people are not at home.

Myself and most people I am friends with, dont have a landline at home and our sole phone is our mobiles. So I would have no option but to leave my mobile. I would very disppointed if a breeder didnt call me back because I left a mobile number.