Dog That Catches Birds.

Alison03

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

She obviously enjoys it so you won't easily stop her doing it - the bell is a good start. Perhaps you could put some things around the yard to deter the birds from ground perching - such as those owl statues, whirlybirds etc and keep her out of the yard early morning and evening when the birds are around more. Also trim off any low tree branches. I would be upset about her killing parrots etc.

Also - what other things does she have in the yard to amuse her - any challenging toys etc?

Edited by Rosetta

I think anyone who lets the dog or cat kill wildlife should cop a fine,

and if you encourage you dog to kill snakes then you don't like your dog very much.

You might think your JRT is cool and can kill snakes without getting bitten but his days are numbered and you can look

forward to watching your little mate die in pain or pay the vet bill, (doubt you will do that somehow).

The law of averages will catch up with him or maybe he will get slow, but one day a snake will win.

Train them not to attack our beautiful wildlife and you will be saving their lives.

Edited by snake catcher

My JRT is an avid hunter. We live in suburbia so it's limited to mostly bugs and beetles (you only have to say those words an she goes mental) and the occasional lizard, mouse, rat or bird. Thankfully she has no interest in frogs or toads and she has never bothered any pet rabbits or small animals we have had. We have a pet snake and when he is out we sometimes show the dogs and all of them back away and are very wary of him.

One of my hounds catches starlings and blackbirds. She figured out the perfect, lazy way of doing it- sleep on the lawn every day, ignoring birds that are out of reach. Birds get used to her and learn not to fear her. Birds start coming closer. Bird comes close enough.. snap.

Given starlings and blackbirds are a serious pest where we are, it doesn't bother me, as long as she moves the dead bird off the lawn so I don't accidentally go over it with the lawnmower :vomit:

In my household my girl is the killer and then my boy eats them lol :vomit:

Luckily it's not too often- she is too slow to catch them usually but occasionally one will somehow get in to our netted off vegie garden and get stuck (have tried to fix but they still manage to find their way in) and then the dogs somehow get in (doesn't matter how many cable ties, bricks and other preventative measures we use, Gus manages to bulldoze his fat arse in there) and gets them.

We come home to a backyard full of feathers and no body... and we know it's Gus that eats them because 1) he is a garbage guts and 2) he has been caught with feathers sticking out his mouth :laugh:

Edited by BlueyLove

Given starlings and blackbirds are a serious pest where we are,

Coming from the UK where blackbirds are held in high esteem for their insect eating capabilities & their beautiful song (it still heralds Spring for me at this time of year) I have often wondered why they are considered such a pest here?

I know they are said to compete with smaller native birds, but in our garden the latter are more at risk from the currawongs who no longer go bush in summer but just seem to hang around opportunistically all the time :(

Constantly. My yard frequently has dismembered birds in it. I know they manage to ping more than one at a time as I often have more than one bum end in the yard. I know my older bitch is very skilled at catching them and her son is pretty smart, he waits for them to get in his food bowl and then corners them in the kennels.