Good Deed For The Day

Pjrt

I went for a lovely drive in the Adelaide Hills today and after lunch I was coming through Woodside heading home to Mannum on the busy main road when I spotted this cyclist trying in vain to coax a stunning young Vizsla off the road out of the traffic. The dog seemed scared of the bike and by the time I had doubled back the dog had moved away from him but I managed to pull up a little ahead of it. I really didn't think I had much hope of catching it as it was clearly terrified. Anyway I got out of the car really casual and just hung my head and squatted down on the foot path waiting and I managed to snag it's collar as it whilred past :). I established it was indeed a young Vizsla, a bitch, with a current council tag and a microchip tattoo. Sunday arvo I wasn't counting on much joy from the local council but I dialled 1234 (no internet on my phone) and they patched me to the Hills council. The ranger finally called back 15 mins later during which time I had established that the poor dog was absolutely gripped with fear by the bird scarers sounding off nearby in the vineyards. The ranger was miles away and on another job and would have been 2 hrs wait for him. He had called the registered owner but the number went to message bank where he had left a message. While trying to come up with a solution of where to take the dog, with bringing it home to Mannum to the pound 50kms away!, or taking it to the police station! options suggested by the ranger! a car pulled up. I say are you the owners and they said no and my heart sank! I'm thinking jeebus this is what you get for trying to be a good samaritan. But there was no bloody way I was going to let this dog down now that I had it safely on a lead! Anyway, turns out that instead of calling the ranger back, the owners had called their neighbour to come to the location I told the ranger! I'm still on the phone to the ranger and the neighbours showed me the text on their phone. The ranger said ok give the dog to them. Im not sure if the neighbour called the owner then or the owner called the neighbour but I was able to speak to the owner. I gave them a short lecture and recommended an address & phone number tag. Turns out the young lady is 8 months old and came from a breeder in Sydney. She was a lovely girl but scared out of her wits & exhausted by the time she was heading home!

:thumbsup:

Oh & her name was Ginger, she lives next door to a Labrador named fred!

Edited by skyefool