An Open Letter To The Person Who Left This Sweet Dog At A Kill Shelter

Tazar

So there is absolutely no circumstance, ever, in the history of dog ownership past and present, where it is acceptable to surrender a dog to a shelter?

I can't think of a circumstance where I would find it acceptable to dump a dog at a kill shelter, not when a no kill shelter is 20 mins away. But I'm sure I can't think of all the dire situations!!!

Ok, what about Nancy's situation, that she describes here on a thread discussing her response to Jamie's letter. (Side note - follow Kim's posts for more progressive, compassionate sheltering information). Read that whole thread if you can, there's so much interesting discussion that may cause people to consider other's situations a little more open mindedly:

Nancy Tranzow Let me get personal for a moment. 6 years ago, I moved to Colorado from CA. I have always been involved in some form of rescue and so know the ins and outs. Unfortunately I moved with my severely abusive partner of 15 years. I stayed until her children were old enough to be OK and I stayed because I promised her son when he was three that I would not leave. I finally endured one too many beatings and left. I could not go back to my home as the one time I did, she locked me in a room and would not let me leave. When I finally got back 2 months later, she had starved my dogs. One my oldest pups Rudy, a senior, was so broken down, so sick from those two months that I had to let him go. She had drained every penny I had ever saved and maxed every card I had. So I took him to our local shelter. I was SO ashamed of what I had let happen to him and I knew he needed help. I relinquished him and told them I could not take him to where I was moving. I did not know how to tell a stranger that someone had abused me and my dog so badly and we both needed help. I did not say anything because I had been in rescue and I knew how unforgiving people can be. So I see rants like this and I think my god, I hope Cocoa's owner never comes across that post. Because we don't know her circumstances and people don't tell a stranger their darkest secrets. If I had seen someone rail against me during that time in my life, I am not sure I would have had the strength to still be here responding. We don't know people's truths and should NEVER assume we do.

Was Nancy's situation worthy enough? Or does she also deserve abuse based on the condition of the dog she was surrendering and the fact that she wrote she was moving on the intake form? Does she deserve compassion or a blog post calling her by name going viral condemning her in hateful, vitriolic language?

Also, no kill shelters are very often closed admission. Not many will take an elderly dog with a low chance of rehoming. Those that do almost always have extensive wait lists. Just because there was a No Kill shelter there doesn't mean it was an option for Cocoa's owner.

No. IMO taking this dog to the nearest vet and having it PTS would have been the ethical option. Or if this was impossible, taking it to the shelter and begging them to PTS while she was there may have been a possibility.

And if you have no money to pay for euthanasia?

Don't you have to pay to surrender an animal?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have no access to money to pay for your animals then you shouldn't keep animals.

... people's circumstances change in a fifteen year time period. If you have a read of the actual situation I posted you will see that Nancy was sufferer of an abusive relationship, had all of her money and her cards maxed out by her abuser, and only got her dogs back after two months of them being starved. I'm sure that she wasn't in that position when she got her dogs, and probably never comprehended that she would be. I know first hand that she is a very well educated, well spoken, strong and intelligent woman. I could never have imagined after meeting her that she would have ever been in that situation. But, she was.

So there is absolutely no circumstance, ever, in the history of dog ownership past and present, where it is acceptable to surrender a dog to a shelter?

I can't think of a circumstance where I would find it acceptable to dump a dog at a kill shelter, not when a no kill shelter is 20 mins away. But I'm sure I can't think of all the dire situations!!!

Ok, what about Nancy's situation, that she describes here on a thread discussing her response to Jamie's letter. (Side note - follow Kim's posts for more progressive, compassionate sheltering information). Read that whole thread if you can, there's so much interesting discussion that may cause people to consider other's situations a little more open mindedly:

Nancy Tranzow Let me get personal for a moment. 6 years ago, I moved to Colorado from CA. I have always been involved in some form of rescue and so know the ins and outs. Unfortunately I moved with my severely abusive partner of 15 years. I stayed until her children were old enough to be OK and I stayed because I promised her son when he was three that I would not leave. I finally endured one too many beatings and left. I could not go back to my home as the one time I did, she locked me in a room and would not let me leave. When I finally got back 2 months later, she had starved my dogs. One my oldest pups Rudy, a senior, was so broken down, so sick from those two months that I had to let him go. She had drained every penny I had ever saved and maxed every card I had. So I took him to our local shelter. I was SO ashamed of what I had let happen to him and I knew he needed help. I relinquished him and told them I could not take him to where I was moving. I did not know how to tell a stranger that someone had abused me and my dog so badly and we both needed help. I did not say anything because I had been in rescue and I knew how unforgiving people can be. So I see rants like this and I think my god, I hope Cocoa's owner never comes across that post. Because we don't know her circumstances and people don't tell a stranger their darkest secrets. If I had seen someone rail against me during that time in my life, I am not sure I would have had the strength to still be here responding. We don't know people's truths and should NEVER assume we do.

Was Nancy's situation worthy enough? Or does she also deserve abuse based on the condition of the dog she was surrendering and the fact that she wrote she was moving on the intake form? Does she deserve compassion or a blog post calling her by name going viral condemning her in hateful, vitriolic language?

Also, no kill shelters are very often closed admission. Not many will take an elderly dog with a low chance of rehoming. Those that do almost always have extensive wait lists. Just because there was a No Kill shelter there doesn't mean it was an option for Cocoa's owner.

No. IMO taking this dog to the nearest vet and having it PTS would have been the ethical option. Or if this was impossible, taking it to the shelter and begging them to PTS while she was there may have been a possibility.

And if you have no money to pay for euthanasia?

Don't you have to pay to surrender an animal?

In the USA a lot of open admission shelters do not have a surrender fee.

To be honest I'm really dismayed at the absolute lack of compassion shown to our fellow human beings in this thread. I am a dog (and cat) lover, just like everyone else in this thread. I work with animals, I spend almost all of my spare time with animals, and am involved in rescue.

I would like to think that there would never be any circumstance where I would need to surrender my animals to a shelter. But I am not so arrogant to think that I could never, ever be in any situation where I would feel forced in to that position.

People say 'I would live in my car with my dogs if need be', but do they actually think that through? What kind of a life is that for a dog? What do you do with the dog on a hot day while you're off for job interviews. What you would be doing could easily be considered animal cruelty. I would much rather someone who had lost their house surrender an animal to a shelter so it had the possibility of being rehomed, then cram their dog in a car and lessen theirchances of getting back on their feet. I certainly wouldn't judge them for doing so.

Every single one of us could find ourselves in a situation where we are forced to surrender our dogs. It could hit us like a ton of bricks and that would be it. People deserve support and compassion in these situations, not hate and public shaming. If we are upset about shelter killing we should be working on fixing the SHELTERS, as it has been shown that it is achievable to stop killing healthy and treatable animals, time and time again.

I also don't buy in to the idea that the only people that should be able to own animals are should own their own house, have a totally 100% secure job and endless funds. Many programs in the USA now have done away with the judging attitude such as seen in this thread - it doesn't improve anything, it just makes things worse.

Instead they are working WITH people, in a non-judgemental way. You know what they've found? Most of the owners that people in this thread (and myself in the past) would be disgusted by, really do love their pets and want to do the right thing by them. If they aren't it's because they either lack education on the best way to care for a pet (they don't realise that what they are doing is not ideal or adequate) and/or they do not have the funds or access to services they need. These programs provide people with what they need to become better pet owners and guess what? Once people have the knowledge and access... they do it!

Shaming shaming shaming never gets anyone anywhere. It closes doors, it prevents people gaining new knowledge and skills, and the cycle continues over and over.

Check out HSUS pets for life program,:

Pets for Life

ETA: I am not saying that Cocoa's original owner was definitely in dire straits and had no other option to surrender. Maybe they knew about the cancer. Maybe they decided that the old dog was boring and to get rid of it. Maybe the moving WAS the real reason but they hadn't bothered trying to find pet friendly accomodation. Those people certainly exist.

What I am saying is that we don't know the circumstances of what happened to Cocoa prior to being lucky enough to go home with the author. To judge so harshly, with such hate, in such a fashion, with no evidence for that judgement is in my opinion a horrible thing.

Edited by melzawelza

One of the things that concerns me about widespread negativity and condemnation towards people who surrender or dump an animal at a shelter is that desperate people, who are unable to support the animal due to their mental, physical, emotional or financial limitations may feel too much guilt or that it's too difficult, panic, shut down etc and resort to worse outcomes for the animal (IMO) like abandoning, stopping contact, not feeding/watering/grooming etc.

At least if an animal is at a shelter, however long it may be there, it has SOME chance of an outside opinion, maybe some treatment, maybe a new home.

Any shelter, no matter how good or bad, is not a good environment for a dog, and I hate the thought of people taking putting a dog in one lightly, but I also think that even if it ends in PTS there are worse things. It's those worse things that I wish all dogs could avoid.

This, plus everything Mel said.

I'm happy for all of you that have never had unexpected & devastating life-changing events. But that's just not everyone's luck.

Sorry but some of the things I have seen have made me judgemental, and in my experience the majority of people who dumped their animals were NOT good owners.

I have seen animals dumped because they were too old and the new puppy was cuter.

I have seen animals dumped because they were "found", only to find the finder was the actual owner.

I have had people tell me over the phone to "Just kill the bloody thing, it just keeps getting out."

I have had people threatening to and then actually abusing their dog right in front of my eyes.

I have turned up at work to find animals left out the front in boxes.

I have seen animals surrendered because they were "too clingy", "too affectionate".

So if my opinions offend others I apologise but this is my experience and its all I have to go by

I'm not saying it's ideal but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Edited by Aussie3

I don't think anyone here is saying that there's not f*ckwits who do terrible thing in the world, Aussie. Just that there are people in terrible circumstances who do deserve compassion instead of derision.

And that there are far worse fates than the pound.

But melzawelza wasn't saying that those sort of people don't exist but that we shouldn't make assumptions AND that we should have some sympathy for people who find themselves in positions they never anticipated being in. All I can think is the people who are most critical have never had things go to crap in their lives before.

Me three. I've been doing rescue for a decade or more now and I've long ago given up the idea that getting angry about what happened in the past is useful. I don't know the circumstances under which any given dog ends up in the pound. People's capacity for managing varies widely and what I might be able to do, might be impossible for someone else with fewer resources.

I've been following a group called Downtown Dog Rescue based in Los Angeles for a while. I am in awe of their commitment and compassion to helping people who feel they have no choices. As a rescuer, that's where I want to be emotionally because rescue is hard enough without carrying bitterness and resentment around with me.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0511-banks-animalshelter-20130511,0,4188550.column

The intervention effort began this spring, in a partnership with the new South Los Angeles shelter. Casarez, the program's lone employee, sits outside the shelter to intercept anyone heading in with an animal to relinquish.

Some are dropping off strays found wandering the streets. But many are there to surrender once-loved family pets. And she's there to talk them out of it.

Casarez doesn't judge, just listens to their complaints: The dog barks so much the neighbors complain. His digging wrecks the lawn. Her accidents ruin the carpet. They won't walk on a leash or stay in the yard. They're too skittish, or too wild.

The owners are discouraged, angry, embarrassed … but often heartbroken as well.

"Once they start talking, you see layers of problems," said Lori Weise, who founded Downtown Dog Rescue 16 years ago. "They never trained the dog, the cat keeps having kittens, they're being evicted, the husband's going to jail.... Sometimes in that chaos, the pet's the only constant. And if you hang on just a little bit longer, that dog might help you get through this. That's what we tell them."

Weise's volunteers will fix a fence to secure a yard, foot a vet bill, teach a family to housebreak their dog. They offer low-cost spaying and neutering, and hold training classes for dogs and owners in a nearby vacant lot.

"We will do whatever it takes to help you keep your animal," Casarez tells the owners.

That's a hard promise to keep in this community.

For almost half the people Casarez sees, housing issues are forcing them to part with pets they love. "They lost a job. The house was foreclosed. They have to move into an apartment and can't afford the deposit," she said.

Sometimes her group remedies that by paying the pet deposit. Just this week they helped a woman in a wheelchair keep her two dogs — a poodle and a pit bull — by fencing off an area in the yard outside her new apartment.

Agree with you wholeheartedly melzawelza

Agree with you wholeheartedly melzawelza

This.

There are always circumstances that we can't forsee. Some of them have a greater impact than others. I don't want to think that I will ever have to give up one or more of my dogs, but if I'm ever in that situation I hope to have the support of the people around me and not their judgement.

Great link thanks Aphra.I think organisations that give practical help to at risk families are vastly underrated.

Agree.

The whole perception pushed so easily and willingly by rescuers that all dogs are neglected, abused, unwanted and that all former owners are uncaring people who have no idea of responsibility is just plain illogical and false.

There are many dogs that end up in pounds in Australia that are very much loved. They may have been lost, stolen and then lost, on sold and then dumped - anything could have happened that eventuated in that dog ending up in the situation it is in.

Long haired dogs only need to be on the street for a short time wandering before they end up looking like a mess. Dogs lose condition very quickly when under stress and dogs that are wandering and lost would be stressed. The first assumption is though that the animal is uncared for or abused.

When I ran my rescue I took in surrenders. No questions. No judgement. There were many legitimate reasons to surrender and many, many heartbroken owners who gave me their pug or pugs. There were often tears and always words of regret. I had no doubt that most loved their dogs. Where possible we looked for alternatives. When there wasn't any, we took them in.

People should also consider the level of edcuation regarding dogs, ownership and who can help in times of need. Not everyone knows they can find help. Not everyone understands they can find help. Many know they will be judged and are wary of speaking to rescuers. You only have to read the judgements on this forum to see that.

Edited by ~Anne~

Great link thanks Aphra.I think organisations that give practical help to at risk families are vastly underrated.

Agree.

The whole perception pushed so easily and willingly by rescuers that all dogs are neglected, abused, unwanted and that all former owners are uncaring people who have no idea of responsibility is just plain illogical and false.

There are many dogs that end up in pounds in Australia that are very much loved. They may have been lost, stolen and then lost, on sold and then dumped - anything could have happened that eventuated in that dog ending up in the situation it is in.

Long haired dogs only need to be on the street for a short time wandering before they end up looking like a mess. Dogs lose condition very quickly when under stress and dogs that are wandering and lost would be stressed. The first assumption is though that the animal is uncared for or abused.

When I ran my rescue I took in surrenders. No questions. No judgement. There were many legitimate reasons to surrender and many, many heartbroken owners who gave me their pug or pugs. There were often tears and always words of regret. I had no doubt that most loved their dogs. Where possible we looked for alternatives. When there wasn't any, we took them in.

People should also consider the level of edcuation regarding dogs, ownership and who can help in times of need. Not everyone knows they can find help. Not everyone understands they can find help. Many know they will be judged and are wary of speaking to rescuers. You only have to read the judgements on this forum to see that.

It's funny, this seems to be the default assumption of everyday people I run into, actually. More so than being pushed by rescues (though I agree that some do thrive on it). Whenever people meet my fosters or talk to me about fostering etc, the default response is "ohhhhhhhh you poor little thing, I can't believe someone would abuse you!!!!" or "wow, I'm SO glad you've ended up here, nobody will hurt you now!!" etc. Even when I say nah, I'm pretty sure this little guy was someone's loved pet etc (which is often the case, I'm sure) it doesn't seem to make a difference. It annoys me more because it contributes to people thinking that rescue dogs are damaged goods or 'untrustworthy', which is another assumption I come up against a lot.

My current foster was a stray who was not microchipped/registered and was never claimed in the pound - he looked pretty worse for wear in his intake photos, but he's the most well adjusted, well socialised little dog ever, and is toilet trained, knows how to use a doggy door.. I'm sure he was someone's loved pet who got out and never made it home. But still, people are like 'here, have a treat, I feel sorry for you' :o (not that he minds!)

Edited by Alkhe

I hate this blog post. I feel sorry for the author and the pain she is feeling but it's just awful and should never have gone viral.

Nancy at ColoRADogs in the USA wrote a response which I much prefer (I was lucky enough to meet Nancy in May and the work they do for the underprivileged dog owners in their area is amazing).

Facebook link

There is a response from the author there too.

I don't agree with Nancy. I don't have much sympathy for people who dump their dogs. Those who put in the effort to rehome or hand over to rescue because of dire personal situations, or if they are too old, PTS, I can sympathise with. But to dump at a kill shelter is unthinkable.

Would the general public even know which shelters are "high kill"? That seems like something only people involved with fostering and rescue would know. I certainly don't know which of my local shelters kill more animals per year, and I have an above average interest in dogs.

I personally don't get the angry rant. That sounds a lot like a rant from someone who truly doesn't know what it's like to not have money, someone who can cut back on stuff and come up with the money somehow. A lot of people can't do that. It seems likely that the dog's family gave her up because they couldn't afford her (for whatever reason), they didn't know she was sick, all they knew was she was a "lovely companion" and wanted to give her a chance at another life with another family.

Martyr Syndrome I call it... the absolute "need" for some people to let everyone know how wonderful they are because they took in a dog with issues... or to be seen to be "better" than a previous owner... *sigh*

I've found that the best rescues tend to focus on what is going to provide the best FUTURE for any dog in their care - rather than suppose what the past may have been like... most likely because they really don't KNOW what that past was like.

T.

I've found that the best rescues tend to focus on what is going to provide the best FUTURE for any dog in their care - rather than suppose what the past may have been like... most likely because they really don't KNOW what that past was like.

T.

This.

While yes, in the bigger picture knowing factual information about why people give up their dogs is valuable if it can be used to change things earlier on, before dogs end up needing rehoming, for the individual dog in a shelter or rescue needing a home it doesn't really matter how or why they came to be there or why they have the issues they have, what matters is doing everything possible to make and keep them suitable for rehoming and to find them a suitable home.