Crows/ravens And Puppies

Kirislin

And calling Masked Lapwings "Plovers"... Grr! :laugh:

I met an awesome Raven once, although I've rehabbed a few and raised young uns. This one was brought into the clinic I worked at, and hopped straight out of the box onto my forearm. Those feet were so big and powerful, and she was heavy! She just looked me in the eye and sized me up, then seemed to decide she wasn't going to try and eat me so she'd be civilised.

She was awesome. I named her "Quoth".

But the pair that prowled the grounds of the wildlife centre were like a pair of dinosaurs - massive and powerful, and ruthless hunters. They seemed to know that aviary birds and poultry couldn't really escape - and if they saw an opportunity they would try and take off a head. Shudder...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do we have in Canberra? I've always referred to them as Crows but interesting fact if they're actually Ravens.

Do both do the "raww raaww raaaoowww" call?

Australian Ravens. There are no crows around Canberra, there are only Ravens. But there are the Choughs, that live in family groups and are black with white under their wings. They can get mistaken for crows too.

Ravens and Crows - Corvids - are credited with being some of the most intelligent of all birds.

What do we have in Canberra? I've always referred to them as Crows but interesting fact if they're actually Ravens.

Australian Ravens. There are no crows around Canberra, there are only Ravens. But there are the Choughs, that live in family groups and are black with white under their wings. They can get mistaken for crows too.

Ravens and Crows - Corvids - are credited with being some of the most intelligent of all birds.

doesn't surprise me. Have you ever seen a crow or raven hit by a car? I dont think I have.

And calling Masked Lapwings "Plovers"... Grr! :laugh:

I met an awesome Raven once, although I've rehabbed a few and raised young uns. This one was brought into the clinic I worked at, and hopped straight out of the box onto my forearm. Those feet were so big and powerful, and she was heavy! She just looked me in the eye and sized me up, then seemed to decide she wasn't going to try and eat me so she'd be civilised.

She was awesome. I named her "Quoth".

But the pair that prowled the grounds of the wildlife centre were like a pair of dinosaurs - massive and powerful, and ruthless hunters. They seemed to know that aviary birds and poultry couldn't really escape - and if they saw an opportunity they would try and take off a head. Shudder...

:o I grew up with 'spurwinged plovers' and still use it in day-to-day.

"quoth" fantastic name!!

"nevermore" ;)

Yes they are amazing birds. I love their calls!

There was a great study in the US a couple of years ago which showed how they can recognise faces (somehow they did brain scans on them!)

It does look like a lovely place CC. Very pretty.

Yours might be a Torresian Crow, or an Australian Raven. They do look alike, but differ in calls and habits. The Raven has longer, more pronounced throat hackles and their beak is sort of finer. The Raven does a drawn out "ahhhhh-ahhhh" call, with the last note drawn out. The Crow is a "uh-uh-uh" sort of staccato call.

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Corvus-orru

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Corvus-coronoides

Edit - forgot links.

Edited by Alyosha

doesn't surprise me. Have you ever seen a crow or raven hit by a car? I dont think I have.

MMmmmm they are smart !

Another Government study provides outstanding results . . .

CSIRO Officials admitted that they found about 200 dead crows on the highway between Noonamah and Palmerston, in Northern Territory, where there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu.

The Territory Government approved and the CSIRO contracted a bird pathologist to examine the remains of all the crows and he confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, much to everyone’s relief.

However, he determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, and only 2% were killed by car impact. (Didn't know there was a difference!) The Territory Government then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine the disproportionate percentages for truck versus car kills.

After 18 months of research and $2.7 million spent, the Ornithological Behaviourist determined the cause in the deaths. When crows eat road kill, they always set-up a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger. His conclusion was that the lookout crow could say “Cah”, but he could not say “Truck”.

MMmmmm they are smart !

CSIRO Officials admitted that they found about 200 dead crows on the highway between Noonamah and Palmerston, in Northern Territory, where there was concern that they may have died from Avian Flu.

The Territory Government approved and the CSIRO contracted a bird pathologist to examine the remains of all the crows and he confirmed the problem was definitely NOT Avian Flu, much to everyone’s relief.

However, he determined that 98% of the crows had been killed by impact with trucks, and only 2% were killed by car impact. (Didn't know there was a difference!) The Territory Government then hired an Ornithological Behaviourist to determine the disproportionate percentages for truck versus car kills.

After 18 months of research and $2.7 million spent, the Ornithological Behaviourist determined the cause in the deaths. When crows eat road kill, they always set-up a look-out crow in a nearby tree to warn of impending danger. His conclusion was that the lookout crow could say “Cah”, but he could not say “Truck”.

:rofl: You had me sucked in! I was thinking I cannot believe they spent all that money on such a study.

MMmmmm they are smart !

I bet he could say "Faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrk"

I don't know why it should bother you Alyosha. Bird common names, like many things, differ regionally. In Victoria there are Plovers and Magpie Larks to name a couple, up here they are called Lapwings and Peewees. You'll have to just deal with me calling them Plovers and Peewees, plus I'll always call rockmelons canteloupes and potato scallops potato cakes!