Nsw Companion Animal Registry

I got a new pet (cat) and had to change her registration to my name and address. The breeder provided me with a printout of the changes she had entered for me under the microchip number. It should be 'lifetime' registration but my council charged me $40 and next year I will be changing to another council area. I asked the customer service officer if I would have to pay again and she said yes.

Is this correct? I thought the idea was to make it easy and low cost to be a pet owner and do the right thing :confused: I mistrust my council as profiteering :rofl: I thought it was a once in a pet's lifetime cost. Can anyone confirm this as right?

I am in NSW.

If you've paid the $40 NSW lifetime registration, that will stay with the dog for it's lifetime in NSW. Any council that tries to charge you again is misleading you.

If you move, all you need to do is to update the Chip registry details - and depending on the council involved, they may charge you some sort of filing fee to do it for you on the spot - alternately, you can go to the DLG NSW website here... http://www.dlg.nsw.gov.au/dlg/dlghome/dlg_InformationIndex.asp?mi=9&ml=1&areaindex=CA&index=303#Home - and download the forms, etc to do it yourself...

T.

Penny was registered by the breeder in her council area so maybe as a new owner I pay once getting her into my name and now desexed...then it may be free. Even with that scenario the woman advised me wrong and frankly was very unfriendly (I thought of friends who need a job and know customer service well :mad ).

I kind of don't remember paying for Tonka (my dog) and he was transferred from another council too... Maybe it's about being in Malcolm Turnbull's affluent electorate :(

ETA I'm going to follow this up tomorrow and I'll let you all know...doesn't feel right to me :mad

Edited by Flying Furball

No definitely not - registration travels with the dog across Council borders AND ownership.

If it has already been paid it does not have to be paid again, regardless of whether you change address or owners.

(I am a Companion Animal officer in NSW)

Don't pay. If the owner has already paid for her to be lifetime registered then she's registered, no need to pay again.

I know in the ACT if a dog is registered (ACT has life time rego) and it goes to a new owner there is a small "admin" fee from memory approx. $19 it is not a full "rego" fee.

Maree

CPR

Don't pay. If the owner has already paid for her to be lifetime registered then she's registered, no need to pay again.

I paid. This girl was an idiot and towards the end looked at what I had given her and said "Where did you get this?" which was the printed off transfer thaat the breeder had done. Bleeding idiot, Now I'll have to go back and it was on my day off I went in there.

I know in the ACT if a dog is registered (ACT has life time rego) and it goes to a new owner there is a small "admin" fee from memory approx. $19 it is not a full "rego" fee.

Maree

CPR

ACT might be different but I often do change of ownership being in rescue and no one ever has to repay, it's just fill in and sign a form.

I found many council people to be incredibly badly informed. I was asking for information on exceptions such as working dogs and when I mentioned the dog in question was a working Maremma the woman in my council office told me he is not exempt. Apparently I have to write a letter to my ranger explaining in what capacity my working Maremma Sheep dog is working so that they can deliberate on whether or not to grant the exemption....

Meanwhile, I am reading the brochure she gave me that clearly states that any dog used for herding or protecting stock is a working dog and therefore exempt. When I pointed this out to her she was very insistent that a dog is not a working dog just because I do not keep it as a pet and no, a Maremma Sheep Dog is not exempt.. Nowhere in the brochure were any breeds mentioned btw.

In the end I walked away wondering if she was maybe a little retarded or something and hence could not grasp the concept of a working Maremma Sheep dog guarding sheep and poultry full time....

okay, I just had a nice phone call with the lady who does it all at the council. Apparently I just had a microchip ID certificate so no Lifetime registry Certificate. So I register her now and then when ever I move in NSW it is free/admin cost. I apoligise to the customer service officer I thought was not paying attention :D

No :) currently rego still stays with the chip for life. Proposals are being tabled that will change this to yearly.

Have you got any more info on this Powerlegs? Eg, would it be for newly registered pets or including existing registered pets?