Grainfree Dry Food

When I first got my pup, she was being fed Pedigree & Optimum supermarket kibble.

On Pedigree she was fine but Optimum made her itch(pretty sure it was because of the amount of grain/corn), so I got Black Hawk and she's been on it ever since - she's generally healthy, happy and her coat is great.

Pro Plan have a new Sensitive Skin/Stomach formula out and it doesn't look half bad although it still has a few grain ingredients.

Before I got BH for my pup I put her on Canidae which made her sick(vomit & diarrhea) for up to a week and I only gave her a hand full of it.

I've just moved my pup onto this from Pro Plan large breed pup. We got a free sample bag when I mentioned looking at changing because he had been vomiting a few nights, once completely switched it stopped. If it didn't work I was going to look at Black Hawk.

Can definitely tell it's Salmon, the bag is so fishy smelling!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way to totally understand your dogs diet problem is to put the dog on an elimination diet...as other here have recommended.

It is one thing to decide to put an otherwise healthy dog on 'grain free dry dogfood' but a totally different thing working out what is the correct diet for a dog that has issues.

To do this, and seeing as most dogs have during their life have now been given many and various protein sources, you have to choose a protein source that you think the dog has not had plus eliminate other possible allergens from the diet.

Kangaroo as a low fat protein source is usually a good choice but it can be fish or goat, etc. Then add various veges eg. potato, sweet potato, celery, silver beet, carrot, cauliflower, beans, peas. Do not add rice or pasta or any other grain product. Cooked food is easier for your dog to digest/process. You do however have to add calcium and thiamine.

It can take 6 weeks to see any difference but in my experience you usually see some diminishing of symptoms in about 4 weeks.

Dry dogfoods are convenient and do have their place in a healthy dogs diet BUT once your dog starts to have skin or health problems and you want to address these issues, dry dogfood whether its is grain free or not, has to be removed from the diet until you decide to introduce it back after you know the findings from the elimination diet.

Otherwise you are just guessing!

And if your dog doesn't have major issues with dry dog food, it is just a matter of trying the 'best' choices because what a healthy dog does well on is the food you should feed them! It varies from dog to dog!

There is no need to anything else apart from a carbohydrate for energy and bulk. An elimination diet is not meant for the long term so additives such as calcium and thiamine are not required. In fact, the less added the better as you cannot be sure of triggers.

The past 5 or 6 months I've been feeding my two the Artimis OSO Pure duck & garbanzo beans. I mix some raw beef in with the kibble. Previously they were eating Black Hawk Lamb & rice ( with cooked chicken mixed in) for about 2 years. And prior to BH they ate Artimis Fresh Mix but didn't really like it so much.

One of my wheatens has bad skin, was breaking out with those small hard cysts everywhere, at one time i counted 10 on his body. Then he started getting hot spots, poor guy.

I'm also adding (each dog) 1 heaped teaspoon of organic coconut oil and half teaspoon of probiotics, mixed together and plonked on the kibble daily.

To be honest I'm not sure if this is the way I should be treating his skin problems but the cysts are slowly dissipating and he hasn't got any new ones I'm happy to say.

I've completely stopped the cooked chicken but they get raw chicken necks 2 times a week, about half a dozen each.

The other thing I noticed with this dog since changing the kibble is that his eye goobies are much smaller and hard where as before on BH they were large and gluggy.

Artimis is grain free and no beet pulp added.

Edited by wire

The past 5 or 6 months I've been feeding my two the Artimis OSO Pure duck & garbanzo beans. I mix some raw beef in with the kibble. Previously they were eating Black Hawk Lamb & rice ( with cooked chicken mixed in) for about 2 years. And prior to BH they ate Artimis Fresh Mix but didn't really like it so much.

One of my wheatens has bad skin, was breaking out with those small hard cysts everywhere, at one time i counted 10 on his body. Then he started getting hot spots, poor guy.

I'm also adding (each dog) 1 heaped teaspoon of organic coconut oil and half teaspoon of probiotics, mixed together and plonked on the kibble daily.

To be honest I'm not sure if this is the way I should be treating his skin problems but the cysts are slowly dissipating and he hasn't got any new ones I'm happy to say.

I've completely stopped the cooked chicken but they get raw chicken necks 2 times a week, about half a dozen each.

The other thing I noticed with this dog since changing the kibble is that his eye goobies are much smaller and hard where as before on BH they were large and gluggy.

Artimis is grain free and no beet pulp added.

If you have a dog with tear staining problems I find that beet pulp makes it worse. Thats why I like TOTW.

Thanks Rosetta, there seems to be beet pulp in most kibble. A few years ago when my dog had liver elevations I read somewhere about beet pulp not being recommended to feed, that's when I made my first switch to Artemis. Think ill get a small bag of TOTW on my next order for a bit of variation.

Another vote for Taste of the Wild here. I have been feeding three kelpies on it for over a year now and they like all the flavours. Currently sticking to the fish variety and they love that. I get it from Paws For Lifeand they deliver. I just moved rural too so my first order is on its way to me there. Should be on the doorstep when I get home.

• 3 months later...

Just grabbed a bag of the VIP grain free (duck and veg) Mr. Stinky Picky Pants seems to like it and it's not making him stinky. Chances are he'll go off it in a fortnight but until then I'm rotating it with his Ziwipeak and chicken mince.

Will update when he goes off it.

Edited by Scottsmum

Following my vets advice, I am needing to put my dog on a 'grainfree' diet due to skin problems and allergies.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brands? I have seen the Canidae one, but this is imported and I would prefer to by an local product.

I am also wanting to try to stay away from beef also if possible?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

an Australian one is Next Generation grain free at 20kg $105 + $10 postage Australian wide

http://australianpettreatcompany.com.au/products/Australian-Holistic-%27GRAINFREE%27%27-Dog-Chicken%2C-Duck-%26-Garden-Vege-20-kg.html

did not work for my boy but he is Very sensitive

Following my vets advice, I am needing to put my dog on a 'grainfree' diet due to skin problems and allergies.

Does anyone have any recommendations on brands? I have seen the Canidae one, but this is imported and I would prefer to by an local product.

I am also wanting to try to stay away from beef also if possible?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

an Australian one is Next Generation grain free at 20kg $105 + $10 postage Australian wide

http://australianpettreatcompany.com.au/products/Australian-Holistic-%27GRAINFREE%27%27-Dog-Chicken%2C-Duck-%26-Garden-Vege-20-kg.html

did not work for my boy but he is Very sensitive

We sell this for $99.95 in Victoria if that helps. :-)

Just grabbed a bag of the VIP grain free (duck and veg) Mr. Stinky Picky Pants seems to like it and it's not making him stinky. Chances are he'll go off it in a fortnight but until then I'm rotating it with his Ziwipeak and chicken mince.

Will update when he goes off it.

My two loved the VI grain free, but our girl wasn't doing too well on it, very poor coat condition, very dull and excessive amounts of her coat was snapping off..

Switched the both of them to black hawk fish and potato two weeks ago and I've never seen them look better.

Lovely glossy coats, reduced doggy smell with our boy and now every item of clothing I own (the majority of it black) is covered with a small amount of white fur instead of being coated in a thick layer.

I tried VIP for a couple of months. My dog liked it but his coat suffered dramatically.

On Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural now and his coat is beautiful. I really can recommend it. I've never had a dog love his food as much as my dog loves this food. I hope I'm not alone in getting excited over this kinda thing. You wouldn't believe how many hours I've spent reading about dry food.

I tried VIP for a couple of months. My dog liked it but his coat suffered dramatically.

On Earthborn Holistic Primitive Natural now and his coat is beautiful. I really can recommend it. I've never had a dog love his food as much as my dog loves this food. I hope I'm not alone in getting excited over this kinda thing. You wouldn't believe how many hours I've spent reading about dry food.

Yep. I spent a whole weekend reading a nutrition book not so long ago.

BTW, Stinky Scottie is still on VIP (alternating with Ziwipeak and other things) seems happy :)