Greyhound Industry On 7.30

samoyedman

From the transcript of the video;

JADE NORRIS, DR, RSPCA: We know thousands of greyhounds are born every year that are surplus to industry requirements. In fact, we know that about 40 per cent of the greyhounds born every year in Australia will never actually go on to race. It's a very high wastage rate and it's an unacceptable wastage rate and the RSPCA thinks that urgent action must be taken to reduce this massive overbreeding problem.

SEAN RUBINSZTEIN-DUNLOP: Greyhound authorities have set up adoption programs but they only meet a fraction of the need. So it's left to volunteers like Janet and Peter Flann to do what they can to save greyhounds from death row.

JANET FLANN, GREYHOUND RESCUE: We had a call from a girl saying she was delivering a litter of pups and would I take them? 'Cause she's been asked to drown them in the bucket next to her.

SEAN RUBINSZTEIN-DUNLOP: The hope is these dogs will be adopted as pets.

PETER FLANN, GREYHOUND RESCUE: They're so beautiful, so gentle and affectionate and there's such a need for them to be helped.

SEAN RUBINSZTEIN-DUNLOP: The animal welfare lobby says around 17,000 greyhounds are killed in Australia each year.

JANET FLANN: Well, they bludgeon them to death. That's quite common. But shooting is quite common. If they get to the vets to be euthanased properly they're lucky, really.

SEAN RUBINSZTEIN-DUNLOP: Greyhounds NSW estimates 3,000 are euthanased each year in that state alone.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the problems is Joe Average prospective dog owner doesn't really see this breed as a pet.

If people knew what good pets they made, a lot more of them would be saved from horrible deaths.

Perhaps that's another good thing to come out of this report.

Thanks, Sam. Shall go look. I hope very much the 'outing' of those horrors leads to some tightening up of standards.

I doubt it :(

DD, I searched & found some strong words about improving greyhound racing, on the Aus Gov's Dpt of Agriculture website.

But there's a huge gap between 'good' words & something substantial being done.

Look how people have been banging away for ages about the problems associated with puppy-farming. And dogs are still 'puppy farmed'.

Maybe, tho', the banging away leads to more public awareness.... & that can lead to higher standards.

But seems greyhound racing has an enormous way to go ...

http://www.daff.gov.au/animal-plant-health/welfare/aaws/aaws_international_animal_welfare_conference/improving_the_welfare_of_the_racing_greyhound_-_a_grv_perspective

Edited by mita

One of the problems is Joe Average prospective dog owner doesn't really see this breed as a pet.

If people knew what good pets they made, a lot more of them would be saved from horrible deaths.

Perhaps that's another good thing to come out of this report.

Yes, Sam. Hence my earlier question asking did the program get around to showing the 'good' bits, like the fantastic greyhound adoption programs. I totally agree with you that might help Joe Average look at greyhounds differently.

I hope that the excellent program is not the last word to the public.

Edited by mita

During my time in rescue it was not uncommon to see a trainer walk into the pound with 4 - 6 greys to surrender during my visits. Most would have been between 18 - 24 months old, but didn't have a strong enough prey drive or just weren't fast enough.

As they were surrenders they didn't have to stay in the pound for any given time, and if the pound was already full they would be walked out the back and euthanaised straight away.

Equally as horrifying was the attitude of one of the vets out that way, that when we turned up with several greys that needed their vaccinations so they could go out to various rescue groups remarked "They're only greyhounds, why are you wasting you time?" :mad

One can only dream that they can somehow restrict the numbers bred each year - it would be a start at least.

Whilst money is to made off the backs of these gorgeous dogs I doubt any real progress will be made in the numbers destroyed (and the cruel methods) each year, though I would love to be proven wrong.

Edited by Stormy

One can only dream that they can somehow restrict the numbers bred each year - it would be a start at least.

While it's a nice ideal things like this can push the problem further underground. It's unfortunately easy for people to alter registration figures or do things like destroy dogs prior to registration etc.

The industry needs to change from within so that people that continue to be involved in poor practices are the increasing minority and will actually be outed by other industry members.

While it's a nice ideal things like this can push the problem further underground. It's unfortunately easy for people to alter registration figures or do things like destroy dogs prior to registration etc.

The industry needs to change from within so that people that continue to be involved in poor practices are the increasing minority and will actually be outed by other industry members.

The problems run much deeper. If 80% of the trainers are doping their dogs as one of the insiders in the report claims, the whole viability of the 'sport' should be called into question IMO.

It's almost beyond being salvaged.

I watched it, nothing I haven't seen before in fact I've seen a lot worse growing up in the racing industry.

Firstly they need to stop the over breeding of Greyhounds. All these groups jumping up and down on their soapbox and chaining themselves to the boxes at Dapto are just p**sing into the wind. All they are doing is pushing trainers further away where they would rather euth their greys than work with some of these nutjobs. They honestly think that they can stop the racing industry well that aint gunna happen, it's a billion dollar industry. GAP cops a lot of flack from the industry hating groups because they are not save at all costs like some of the ones popping up all over the place, some of them are downright dangerous and doing Greyhound rescue or the dogs themselves no favours at all IMO. Yes there are drugs in the racing industry and it has a long way to go but my God it's come a long way since the 60's. There are decent trainers, I have worked with them in rescue and to lump them all in the same basket as Azzopardi and Bate is a bit rich.

Stop the over breeding of Greyhounds, too many are just born to die, I know I have two of them.

JANET FLANN: Well, they bludgeon them to death. That's quite common. But shooting is quite common. If they get to the vets to be euthanased properly they're lucky, really.

Really???? Think this person needs to stop being a drama queen. Shooting - yes. Bludgeon, never heard of it happening. Yes some sick bars*&^d may have done it in the past, same as some rare few cut the ears off so they couldn't be identified. In Victoria nowadays all greyhounds disposed of have to be accounted for to the GRV.

Maybe that's where they need to tighten the regulations - though how I'm not sure.

The problems run much deeper. If 80% of the trainers are doping their dogs as one of the insiders in the report claims, the whole viability of the 'sport' should be called into question IMO.

It's almost beyond being salvaged.

Personally I would love the money aspect to be removed from racing. That would see a huge drop in litters / deaths simply because they'd be in it for the love of the sport & breed. Sighthounds are magic to watch in full flight.

But unfortunately there's no way they'd cull a multi million dollar industry. Money talks loudest :(

In Victoria nowadays all greyhounds disposed of have to be accounted for to the GRV.

Rebanne - do you know if there are limits in Victoria as to how many litters each bitch can have a year?

Really???? Think this person needs to stop being a drama queen. Shooting - yes. Bludgeon, never heard of it happening. Yes some sick bars*&^d may have done it in the past, same as some rare few cut the ears off so they couldn't be identified. In Victoria nowadays all greyhounds disposed of have to be accounted for to the GRV.

Yes just shook my head at that quote.

Edited by stans mum

I have two of the rejects (one too slow and one too timid) as well as a retired racer. I work closely with GAP in NSW. I'm not sure what the answer is. I think limiting breeding would be an excellent place to start. I know many people have asked me if I would breed from my girls and seem surprised when I point out that they weren't good enough to race - why would they be bred? Apparently, I should because you never know, which is the attitude of some.

But I've also gone behind the scenes at the races, spoken to trainers and vets, had people come up to me in the street who all adore these dogs. I'm in contact with 2 of the three trainers of my dogs who love hearing about them. It isn't all bad.

And finally, some rescue groups are not doing the breed any favours by not adequately assessing all hounds and assuming they're all suitable as pets. My little one should never have been adopted out - she would fixate on another dog at 250 meters, thousand yard stare, body stiffened and a whine that I never want to hear again with a frothing mouth, before exploding towards the other dog in an attempt to kill it.. Cats, small animals and birds were the same. Two years on, she is a lot better, but she is never trusted around other dogs or animals who are not sighthounds. It is fortunate that she is a small dog and I'm paranoid, but I cannot imagine handling one with a higher prey drive. They are not all suitable as pets and are not all suitable as pets to the same homes. Some need work.

And finally, some rescue groups are not doing the breed any favours by not adequately assessing all hounds and assuming they're all suitable as pets. My little one should never have been adopted out - she would fixate on another dog at 250 meters, thousand yard stare, body stiffened a

Racing greyhound owner next door deliberately socializes his puppies with other dogs & children. He says that one day they'll retire or mightn't be suitable for racing, so they'll need to be experienced & fine around people, children & other dogs.

He uses our small tibs ... who love the greyhound puppies. And gets the neighbours' grandchildren to visit & play with them, too.

Often the puppies leave him at 4 months & return a year or two later. And they remember their little tib friends. They run to the fence with tails wagging.

Edited by mita

In Victoria nowadays all greyhounds disposed of have to be accounted for to the GRV.

Rebanne - do you know if there are limits in Victoria as to how many litters each bitch can have a year?

There is something in place. I don't race greyhounds so am not up with all the in's and out's but talking to someone a few months ago there does seem to be some restrictions. The main one I recall is something along the lines of: if the bitch didn't race and/or didn't win, they were allowed 2 litters to prove their worth as a brood bitch. If none of the off spring did any good and the owner wanted to breed again, they had to say why and get approval from the racing board.

All matings are recorded, all results of those matings have to be recorded, misses, how many born alive, how many born dead, if the numbers don't match up between being born and ear marked (12 weeks) what happened to the missing pups (not sure if you need a vet to sign of on ones that died in those 12 weeks). Stud dogs were limited to 14 matings a month but I don't know the current regulations regarding this now everything is AI and often frozen semen is used. And of course semen is split into breeding units.

As I said I don't race greys, mine are show bred, so a disclaimer: this is all what I am pretty sure happens, some of it did happen but might have changed, and I am relying on my memory which can be faulty :)

And finally, some rescue groups are not doing the breed any favours by not adequately assessing all hounds and assuming they're all suitable as pets. My little one should never have been adopted out - she would fixate on another dog at 250 meters, thousand yard stare, body stiffened a

Racing greyhound owner next door deliberately socializes his puppies with other dogs & children. He says that one day they'll retire or mightn't be suitable for racing, so they'll need to be experienced & fine around people, children & other dogs.

He uses our small tibs ... who love the greyhound puppies. And gets the neighbours' grandchildren to visit & play with them, too.

Often the puppies leave him at 4 months & return a year or two later. And they remember their little tib friends. They run to the fence with tails wagging.

I wish more did that! It would make life much easier.

I think you're right,Stormy. Take the money out and the heartless owners/trainers have no motivation, but the ones who stand by their dogs can carry on with their passion. Money truly is the root of all evil :(

But as with most policy development, the most successful lobbyists are the ones with money. I assume nothing will be done?

"80% of trainers dope their dogs" ( a quote from a disgruntled trainer)

That is complete and utter bullshit. Anyone who has raced would know that your chances of getting caught are high and the penalties handed out are severe.

Your dog can be subject to a random swab at any time, the GRA can come through your kennel, demand papers and swab dogs at any time and if you are lucky enough to have a winner you roll the barrel and could be swabbed then too.

The testing is so sensitive that it will pick up chemicals such as those is Fido's Closasole wormers.

"70 dogs tested positive"

Positive to what? Given that the testing will pick up things like all wormers, linaments, DMOSO, Ab's, NSA's. The list of substances and withholding periods for racing is three pages long.

Christos says he can't compete with those one drugs and he's full of it. Put the time, effort, quality food, chiro and vet care and you certainly can compete with the best of them.

I think they might have their "anabolic and androgenic" steroids mixed up.

There are very few trainers who do not use testoprop or excuse the spelling (ethyonestronol) in their bitches. It's used in show dogs and for those who want to keep bitches entire but keep them out of season. I used the later, as it was deemed legal under the rules of racing and if tested positive I would not be suspended as it was administered under vets guidance.

I don't have time to finish now. Will be back tonight to complete my comments

I can't comment on the racing side, but in rescue, like Stormy I am sick of trainers over breeding and disposing of them so quickly and easily.

I have been at the pound too many times and watched trainers walk in with 3 or 4 youngsters to be killed, why?, its cheaper to take them to the pound than pay a vet to pts, that's all.

Their life expectancy needs to be longer, even if they race its short. :(