Dangerous Dog Treats

gaznazdiak

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to respond to my post and for your sympathies. With all the reciprocal trade agreements we have it will be very hard to get some traction on this issue, but the more of us who make noise about it the better. Another scary thing is that it is not just our little mates who are at risk from low quality/toxic products from Asia in general and China in particular, I was eating some tuna from the can several months ago (Woolworths own brand from Thailand) and because I was watching TV and not looking at the can I ended up with a mouthful of hair. When I contacted Woolies about it they didn't want to know. I have been given a suggestion that thinly sliced chicken breast placed on a wire cake cooler and put in the oven for 3 hours at 170 degrees will produce a tasty and safe alternative to the poison on offer at the supermarkets.

You have to read the fine print on a lot of products too. I was keen on the duck jerky from New Zealand until it read that it is only packaged in NZ and made from imported ingredients. Not trusting imported ingredients from unknown sources!

That occurs with frozen vegetables labelled as being from NZ also apparently. They come in from China originally. The reason I will not buy NZ frozen veges either.

Thanks to everybody for taking the time to respond to my post and for your sympathies. With all the reciprocal trade agreements we have it will be very hard to get some traction on this issue, but the more of us who make noise about it the better. Another scary thing is that it is not just our little mates who are at risk from low quality/toxic products from Asia in general and China in particular, I was eating some tuna from the can several months ago (Woolworths own brand from Thailand) and because I was watching TV and not looking at the can I ended up with a mouthful of hair. When I contacted Woolies about it they didn't want to know. I have been given a suggestion that thinly sliced chicken breast placed on a wire cake cooler and put in the oven for 3 hours at 170 degrees will produce a tasty and safe alternative to the poison on offer at the supermarkets.

Yuck!! That could be reported to the Health Dept surely?

gaznazdiak - so sorry for the loss of your little one :(

I noticed this morning the sweet potato chews I got recently for my two are made in China too :( I think these will be going straight in the bin when I get home, especially as it looks like they are really easy to make at home.

http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/sweet-potato-dog-chew.html

Ingredients: 1 Large Sweet Potato, washed & dried

Instructions: Preheat oven to 250° F

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cut off one side of the sweet potato lengthwise, as close to the edge as possible. Cutting the side of the potato first allows you to then turn the potato onto this flat surface that you have just created. Having a stable area to rest the potato will make it easier to cut the potato into slices. Don't discard that first piece, it comes out just as yummy as the rest!

Cut the rest of the potato into 1/3" slices, no smaller than 1/4".

Place them on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 3 hours, turning half way through.

Cool completely on a wire rack.

Storing - Although these treats are dried, you will want to keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. You can freeze them for up to 4 months.

Edited by CrazyCresties

gaznazdiak - so sorry for the loss of your little one :(

I noticed this morning the sweet potato chews I got recently for my two are made in China too :( I think these will be going straight in the bin when I get home, especially as it looks like they are really easy to make at home.

http://www.dogtreatkitchen.com/sweet-potato-dog-chew.html

Ingredients: 1 Large Sweet Potato, washed & dried

Instructions: Preheat oven to 250° F

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cut off one side of the sweet potato lengthwise, as close to the edge as possible. Cutting the side of the potato first allows you to then turn the potato onto this flat surface that you have just created. Having a stable area to rest the potato will make it easier to cut the potato into slices. Don't discard that first piece, it comes out just as yummy as the rest!

Cut the rest of the potato into 1/3" slices, no smaller than 1/4".

Place them on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 3 hours, turning half way through.

Cool completely on a wire rack.

Storing - Although these treats are dried, you will want to keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. You can freeze them for up to 4 months.

Just reading that recipe...I thought...geeze that's a very hot oven to put something in for 3 hours...could burn the house down. Please note that it is in Faranhite (sp??) & has to be converted to Celcius (sp??)

Bit of sea salt and they sound like a great evening snack CC :laugh:

:thumbsup:

Just reading that recipe...I thought...geeze that's a very hot oven to put something in for 3 hours...could burn the house down. Please note that it is in Faranhite (sp??) & has to be converted to Celcius (sp??)

Yes, good point Sheena!

~ 120C

Or do we avoid all treats/pet food manufactured in China or Thailand?

Yes!

Not really sure why people buy them in the first place - same goes for cheap imported lollies/treats for humans . I keep well away!

This ^^^

If Brisbane based people want preservative free treats and to also help out rescue then PM Ams (or me). Ams makes dried chicken necks, dried chicken breast and lamb liver treats - absolutely nothing added and human grade meats used. Great prices compared to what you will spend in shops and on commercial products. I wont give my dogs anything else now (and they love it!).

When I found out about the dog treats issue I went and bought myself a cheap food dehydrator and now make all my doggie treats in that. I use human grade food (liver, chicken, etc), slice it really thinly (slice it semi-frozen, it's much easier) and set them in the dehydrator. The dogs and cats all love them and I know that they are safe for them.

I got a dehydrator from Homeart for $35, but you can get them cheaply on ebay too.

Gaznazdiak, I am so sorry to read your story. It is a tragedy you could not have foreseen and I will be signing your petition.

Rawhide is something I wouldn't touch with a bargepole - all sorts of nasties used in the manufacture, bleach among them.

Yes! Don't touch them ever ever ever.

I think we need to get across the message whenever and wherever we can: Don't give anything to our dogs and cats that comes from China.

This, I admit, is going to become more and more difficult as the new government seems hell bent in giving in to all and any demands by "our near neighbours" and that means allowing them to flood our supermarket shelves with dangerous goods.

I heard on the news over the weekend that Tony Abbott wants to conclude the Free Trade Agreement with China within the first 12 months of the new government :mad:mad . To get that through, you can imagine the compromises and grovelling Australian diplomatics and negotiators will be doing.