Another Child Loses Its Life After A Dog Bit

Trisven13

Another report I just read about this, said it is believed the dog bit the boy on the neck, getting the main artery. All it takes is one bite in the wrong spot for a dog that size to kill a child. There was another case in the US last year of the family dog spooking at a child running past and biting him once on the neck. The poor child bled out before they got him to hospital. Such a tragedy for everyone concerned in these cases.

Another report I just read about this, said it is believed the dog bit the boy on the neck, getting the main artery. All it takes is one bite in the wrong spot for a dog that size to kill a child. There was another case in the US last year of the family dog spooking at a child running past and biting him once on the neck. The poor child bled out before they got him to hospital. Such a tragedy for everyone concerned in these cases.

Yes, another reason why young children are so vulnerable & are in the highest risk group. Their heads, face, neck are on a level with the dog. And their skin/tissues are not as tough as an adults. So injuries from dog bites will be more severe & disfiguring.

Can't comment further on this case.... as we don't know the details.

So sad, such a dear little boy.

How horrible the parents must be beside themselves. : (

The report I heard on the radio said the child was bitten once... hardly a "mauling" - but it does go to show that a single bite can have the most tragic consequences.

My heart goes out to the family who have lost both their child and their family pet after one horrible moment.

T.

Wow Blackjaq, that's pretty disturbing, I wouldn't even let my dog play with me like that let alone a small child! We looked after someone's dobe for a while once, she was a lovely dog but hadn't been trained adequately and she played in a very similar way to that one, in play one day she nipped at my brother in laws calf and left a huge bruise, that day she went back to from whence she came, our son was about 12 months at the time and I wasn't prepared to risk it.

Having owned a Dobe that is fairly normal play, not aggressive at all. I played with mine and they did just that, they also held steady eye contact and "stalked", none of it was aggressive it was play.

Having said that it is a totally inappropriate way for a large dog to interact with a baby, and not one I would allow or condone..

Edited by OSoSwift

This is terrible but on the same website I found video of a dobe playing with a baby that nearly made my head explode... People do not see this coming? Really? How? Are they somehow retarded?

http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/9raw-baby-entertained-by-doberman/xglagrf?cpkey=37575b10-ca7f-4e84-b74e-95870346e731%257c%257c%257c%257c

Just watched the video, good God why would anyone expose their baby to that kind of danger, I know the dog was playing but just one nip in the wrong place or knocking the baby backwards so it bangs it's head and there's another tragedy. I've got a small dog and I would never allow her to have that kind of freedom with any child. These types of dog owners aren't retards they just don't see the danger, perhaps they see the dog as an almost human member of the family. Big mistake.

My girl is absolutely part of my family, she's like a child to me but like my own human children she minds what I say, she's no more equal to me than my kids were.

Having owned a Dobe that is fairly normal play, not aggressive at all. I played with mine and they did just that, they also held steady eye contact and "stalked", none of it was aggressive it was play.

Having said that it is a totally inappropriate way for a large dog to interact with a baby, and not one I would allow or condone..

I know the dog is not aggressive, my own dogs play with me like this, but if they nip me, accident or not, I am not likely to bleed out and die, where a baby might. The dog does not need to mean any harm, but guess who gets the blame when something happens.... Not to mention the breed will once again receive a blow against the carefully restored image.

I would not let a small dog play with a baby that way either....

Edited by BlackJaq

The report I heard on the radio said the child was bitten once... hardly a "mauling" - but it does go to show that a single bite can have the most tragic consequences.

T.

Yes.... it's why toddlers are in the highest risk group. Their heads/faces/necks are close to the level of the dog's jaws. Their skin & tissues are less thick. As you say, even just one bite, means they're at high risk for severe injury or death & disfigurement.

Edited by mita