I've Had An Anonymous Barking Complaint At The New House-sit...

westiemum

Hi All,

I've been in a new house-sit for a month - and tonight I got home to a quite nasty anonymous note in the letterbox saying one of the westies - I suspect Andy - has been barking continually during the day. I don't know how long this has been going on for - this is the first I've heard of it frown.gif.

I work full-time. I lived at my house which is being demolished for ten years without one complaint. The westies have a doggie door as they did in the last house. The main difference between here and the old house is the old house had a HUGE high fenced back yard and here they only have a small cordoned off area ( high fenced on two sides) within a small unfenced courtyard outside the back door. This cordoned area is only about 3.5 metres by 4 metres. I've erected a lattice barrier on one side to contain them and to keep them away from a see-through gate which is about six metres away. Have I inadvertently made this area too small?

I know its not Mac - his laryngeal tie-back surgery effectively prevents him from barking. Its unlikely to be Sarah - she's always been a good alert barker only - so I suspect its young Andy.

I knocked on the doors of all the immediate neighbours (and then some) tonight to apologise and see if I could further define the problem. Am fairly sure from talking to the neighbours that were home that I've narrowed it down to the those who might have left the note but if they were home they weren't answering their door. Interestingly one set of immediate neighbours who I thought might have had a problem if anyone did, said they didn't even know the westies were there! Which has made me wonder just how much barking is actually taking place (this neighbour is a husband and wife where the wife is at home during the day with three small children). I suppose I'll have to find out somehow.

I expect to be here about another 8 months so I need to solve the problem. I really can't afford trouble with a neighbour which might jeopardise my house-sit. So I'd really appreciate some advice from the DOL brains trust - I can give them a bit more space if you think that would help by opening one gate and padlocking another - but it would take them closer to the neighbour's fence who I suspect wrote the narky note.

TIA.

Edited by westiemum

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the same issue I use a citronella collar and it works wonders on my 'likes the sound of her own voice' barker. I know not everyone's a fan of them but it only went off once or twice before she got the idea so it's been a very easy fix for us.

Thanks so much KC - its a good simple suggestion - and thats a good description - Andy is young (ish) and excitable and does seem to like the sound of his own voice. This is very new territory for me so feeling quite anxious!!

It could be the move bringing things out? I recently moved out of the place I'd been in for over ten years and both dogs (who have only known the old house) have shown slightly different behaviours. One of them actually makes a different kind of bark in the evening when he wants in, which is weird.....

So it could be Sarah, new house, more things to be "alerted " by?

Set up a recorder or something to make sure it's actually one of yours, first.

Wouldn't be the first time someone has been accused of having a barking dog when it's actually coming from somewhere else.

Thanks MM - thats a very good point - there are two barking mini schnauzers across the road and a dog behind a fence next to them and another down the road - interestingly opposite the people who I think might have complained. Hmnn... Might get the mother on point duty Monday if it isn't too hot while I think of some way to record... thanks! smile.gif

It could be the move bringing things out? I recently moved out of the place I'd been in for over ten years and both dogs (who have only known the old house) have shown slightly different behaviours. One of them actually makes a different kind of bark in the evening when he wants in, which is weird.....

So it could be Sarah, new house, more things to be "alerted " by?

Thanks - thats interesting - Mac was the most unsettled and confused for the first week to ten days - he seemed to have difficulty workign out the layout of the new house... but appears to have settled now.

Oh and they don't have the run of the house while I'm away - only the cordoned off area in the court-yard, a small areas inside the back door where the doggie door is and they have their vetbed and blankets and the laundry....

ETA - yes it could be Sarah... but gut is strongly suspecting Andy is the culprit...

Edited by westiemum

Can you have someone look after them elsewhere for a few days and then go and ask your neighbours if they've still been barking? If they say yes then it's not your dogs!

Why didn't I think of that??? thumbsup1.gif (Where's Mr Rolley Eyes when you need him!) - Thanks again KC. And I may have just the place... 30 kms away!

IMHO, dogs do tend to bark more when you move to a new home. Once they are used to it they stop. Not that that helps you much, but moving one out for a few days could be the answer

Good luck. Nothing more worrying.

If they can be trusted with bones, alone, I'd give them a bone each (and a couple of spares) when I left home. Give them something to do.

New toys can work too.

New toys can work too.

That reminds me of another weird thing since moving. One of my boys gets bored with toys within seconds. It's like "Hey Wow! a new toy!!!!!! wait, bored now" yet since we moved we gave him a new toy bribe and it's now his favourite thing ever. In the past all toys were surgically disemboweled within a day but now his new Mr squeaky monkey is the best thing ever!!!!!!!! He hasn't killed it at all! He even sleeps with it! Yeah, weird behaviour after moving....

This is very new territory for me so feeling quite anxious!!

I'm not surprised. Why are people so gutless and nasty. Why not just come over and speak to you.

Some years ago, the first I knew there was a problem with a rescue was a call from council. I'd just returned home from rehoming this dog to find the card in the letterbox telling me to phone the ranger. He was very nice - "let slip" it was a man calling but naturally did not divulge who.

I dropped a little note into all the neighbours' letterboxes apologising for the disturbance, advising them that I thought the culprit was the little dog I'd rehomed and to please let me know if the barking continued.

I had a few people come up to me to say they'd never heard the dogs, one couple who said the barking prevented them from sitting outside in their front yard :eek::eek: and a few more who said, "It wasn't me." :laugh: :laugh:

It is a truly horrible feeling, Westiemum, and I do sincerely sympathise. I'd continue the way you are, going around and speaking to people, and perhaps follow-up with a note to all the neighbours.

Good luck.

Thanks Jed and cannibal - will pick up a new toy or two for him in the morning - and maybe a Kong... and yes they can be trusted with bones... time for a big one that will keep him/them busy I think! Ill trial over the weekend. Cos now I think about it - it could also be boredom in the small courtyard area...

Thanks everyone - anxiety decreasing....smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

Why not just come over and speak to you.

Exactly!!

I was very diplomatic with the neighbours that I managed to meet for the first time - and it was good to take the westies with me - it personalised them rather than them remiaing some annoying anonymous dog over a fence. They got lots of pats and attention too.

The follow-up note is a good idea DD - thanks - I;ll try and catch more neighbours tomorrow and then follow-up with a note next week - hopefully after I've made some progress.

One problem is that if you find out its not your dogs barking how do you let the pain in the butt cowards know that you are certain its not yours & why ?

I hate people who complain anonymously. I think they should have the guts to approach in a civilised manner & try to resolve any problem.

New toys can work too.

That reminds me of another weird thing since moving. One of my boys gets bored with toys within seconds. It's like "Hey Wow! a new toy!!!!!! wait, bored now" yet since we moved we gave him a new toy bribe and it's now his favourite thing ever. In the past all toys were surgically disemboweled within a day but now his new Mr squeaky monkey is the best thing ever!!!!!!!! He hasn't killed it at all! He even sleeps with it! Yeah, weird behaviour after moving....

Cannibal that all really is food for thought. Come to think of it Andy has been more anxious since we've been here - so moving and anxiety could well be a potent mix...

Yes it might be the dogs over the road - will try and find out for sure it is Andy before jumping to conclusions. Thanks again. smile.gif

One problem is that if you find out its not your dogs barking how do you let the pain in the butt cowards know that you are certain its not yours & why ?

I hate people who complain anonymously. I think they should have the guts to approach in a civilised manner & try to resolve any problem.

Couldn't agree more - I think I've bnarrowed it down to the likely neighbour out of two likely neighbours - niether of whom were home/answered their doors tonight - so will try and catch them in the morning.

Its strange around this neighbourhood - few neighbours seem to know each other and many have really high front fences, security , eyeholes in front doors - and one even had CCTV! Just not used to it - feels very strange!

Set up a recorder or something to make sure it's actually one of yours, first.

Wouldn't be the first time someone has been accused of having a barking dog when it's actually coming from somewhere else.

Thanks MM - thats a very good point - there are two barking mini schnauzers across the road and a dog behind a fence next to them and another down the road - interestingly opposite the people who I think might have complained. Hmnn... Might get the mother on point duty Monday if it isn't too hot while I think of some way to record... thanks! smile.gif

audacity is free to download and works well - it has a nice graphical interface so that you can actually see from the soundwave pattern when a dog has barked - saves having to listen to hours of audio :-) I can pick a bark from a plane from a winge after a bit of practice.