A Really Nice Adoption Today

Long post alert!

We had a really busy day of people interested in and adopting dogs today at the shelter where I work (7 dogs went to their new homes today, another 8 or so have applications and will hopefully go home in this week). I was lucky enough to do one particularly nice and totally unexpected adoption :)

Jetta is a lovely female staffy x of approx 1 year old. She came into the shelter several months ago and had dystichia (sp?), which the vets treated her for then monitored her recovery, so she was in the shelter a while before she became available for adoption but once medically cleared she went up with no other concerns - she's a sweet dog, loooooves people and pats, fine with other dogs, very trainable, not fearful, reactive or resource guardy, and really nice looking...she seemed like she would be a pretty in demand dog. Her only issue is beng super boisterous! Her greeting style with people is jump jump jump all over you, throw herself at you, do some zoomies, then come back and stand up on her hind legs leaning against you wanting pats :laugh: Cute, but very inappropriate, annoying and sometimes painful. So with all of the above she was in the shelter for a good few months.

Today, out of the blue, I went to talk to a customer, she said wanted to ask about Jetta, she and her fiancé had been in a month ago, met Jetta, really loved her and spent a long time interacting with her plus just watching her in her kennel (they were there for a couple of hours). However they live in a townhouse which only has a courtyard and they decided that Jetta, being the lovely dog she is, would quickly find a home with a bigger yard that would give her more room to run around and be better for her, so decided not to take her despite how much they wanted her.

Completely of their own accord, without telling us they were doing it, they'd spent the last month keeping an eye on whether she was still at the shelter and, as time went on and she was still there, applying to their Body Corp for permission for a dog, permission to modify their fences if necessary, working out their schedules to be sure that they could exercise her twice a day and give her the training she'd need, researching the distychia, all with the understanding that Jetta could have been adopted by someone else at any time.

After a month of thinking every day that surely someone has snapped her up today was the day they decided that if we felt that Jetta would be happy and secure in their home, without the big back yard, they would give themselves permission to take her.

I don't often find myself thinking "this is meant to be" when we rehome dogs (more often it's "ok, this can work"), but after hearing the thought this couple has put into this specific dog, the emotion that was clearly there for them and the fact that if I had felt she really needed a bigger yard they would have given her up plus the fact that the dog they wanted was one where I really couldn't understand why she was still there... today I think just maybe this one really is meant to be :)

Edited by Simply Grand

We need to hear lovely stories like this. They inspire rescuers to keep going & they can show some pet buyers what lovely things can happen, if they put time & thought into adopting.

Thanks for posting! :)

Edited by mita

Before I became involved in "rescue", I was a volunteer dog walker at a small Sydney pound.

[Can't recommended this enough to people who need a doggy education - I sure did.]

We had a dog called Pepper who some people said was ugly :eek::eek: . She was a brindle, medium smallish dog, very active and boy did she need training. She was rehomed once and returned the next day - I can't remember why, but I was at work when I was given the news and I was in flood of tears thinking the pound would euthanise her.

However, she was eventually adopted by a couple who'd been watching her in the Daily Mail, I think the paper was ..... early 2000s. They had a holiday coming up and said to each other that if Pepper was still available for adoption when they came home, they'd adopt her. The day they arrived back, they were in contact. :) :)

I am sure Jetta will be as much loved as Pepper was.

Lovely story, they sound a really great home. It's not so much how much time people have but the time they are willing to spend with their dog.

What rescue people do to change a dogs life is amazing. I have a small dog I found on Petrescue nearly 10 years ago originally from Renbury. There have been times when I look at him sound asleep after a full day doing doggy things like agility or walking on the beach and I hope the people who rescued him realise that he is in doggy heaven each and every day.

Great job!

It's so nice to hear about the dogs being settled in homes where they've really become part of the family, it's really all most of them need. There are some that need extra stuff, but for so many of them, they don't need expensive toys or luxury kennels or huge, landscaped backyards, or even to sleep on the beds or go to training or dog sports every week, just having owners who SPEND TIME with them, give them some consistency and love them makes just so happy.

A lot of my time is spent doing training with the dogs but sometimes I just take them for a play session in the yard, where they run around like idiots, play fetch and roll in the grass, it's really bittersweet, especially with the long termers, because they're just so happy and tired after a short session of that and I think it's so unfair that they don't have something as simple as a spot in their own home to go back to rather than a kennel. But that's what makes it so fantastic when someone like Jetta, and the others above, goes to such a great home :D

just having owners who SPEND TIME with them, give them some consistency and love them makes just so happy.

:thumbsup: Never a truer word . . . .

I agree.

All the best to Jetta in her new home and thankyou for sharing her story and happy ending with us Simply Grand. :thumbsup: