What Do You Do For Your Dog If They Have To Be Left Alone?

kelpiecuddles

On Wednesday Josie will be at the vets for the day. I always thought Sascha wasn't that attached to her but when we took Josie out on her own a few weeks ago apparently Sascha was quite distressed and whined a lot. I did leave her with some bones, etc that day but it wasn't enough. Try as I might I can't get her to play with toys so i'm trying to come up with other ideas to keep her reasonably settled for the day while we are in town with Josie. I can't take Sascha with me as I'll be at work that day. I don't think I could leave her inside for that long.

Give Sascha a good long walk before you go? One of mine is happy to get the occassional day alone, but the other suffers from 'fear of missing out', and can get unsettled.

If I walk her first she doesn't whinge. I also leave a few toys and bones.

Can you do some training with her before you go out, so she's tired and happy to chill out and sleep while you're out? Left with a yummy kong or something that distracts her for a few minutes while everyone actually walks out the door.

I also give frozen Kongs. I stuff it with either sardines, mashed banana or peanut butter and freeze overnight, lasts ages :) But then again I only have one dog so he's use to being without the company of another.

Nothing. Sometimes they have to be left alone. They whine and carry on at first. Then they get used to it. Usually they sleep the whole time. (Mine have the run of the house and a doggy door that goes out to 2 fenced acres . . . so compared to most of the dogs in the neighborhood they have it good).

I'd suggest building up to it for future events. Go away for an hours. Then an hour more, etc., so they get the idea that the separation isn't forever. If you've got a barker, it wouldn't hurt to tell the neighbors what you're doing. Most people will tolerate a temporary disturbance but get upset if they think it will go on and on and on.

I've already warned the neighbour about it :) She doesn't bark apparently, just whines.

I was actually surprised to discover that she got upset, she's nearly 5 years older than the other dog and has always been happy to be left alone. She's getting older and seems less sure of herself so I think it might be a bit of an old age thing.

Tazzie goes to Nanny's house LOL

But if D isn't missing for the whole day he also has access to the laundry and hallway to come inside and play with his toys - and he'll get a treat.

D on the other hand is used to being in the yard alone, he gets his brekkie and spends the day patrolling the yard and sleeping.