Suddenly Fussy About Water Bowl

MadWoofter

I have two water bowls for the dogs that are cleaned & refilled daily. Both dogs drink from both bowls. I've noticed in the last week that Tess is now only drinking from one bowl - to the point that that if her favourite is empty but the other is full she won't drink from the full one. Not really a problem except when I'm not home to refill it. Nothing has changed to the house or pack dynamic.

She is elderly and is being managed for a sarcoma. Should I be worried about this sudden change in only drinking from one bowl (apart from the obvious dehydration potential)?

I have dogs that like to drink out of one bowl in particular, I always wonder why ...

I think some animals are just a bit weird that way, my british shorthair will only drink out of her water bowl if it's in the bathroom, put it anywhere else and it sits there full being ignored and she walks in circles meowing at you to fill up a bowl in the bathroom for her. She's been like that ever since we got her as an adult rescue :confused:

Thanks guys - I was tired and generally frustrated last night, and couldn't see the obvious solutions of adding a new bowl or moving the current one :laugh: Such simple things. I'll give them a go tonight and see how she goes.

I doubt she's been bitten by anything, (not obviously anyway) and it could be a sight thing. She's also showing a few early signs of dementia so it could be that too.

Poor girl - she's really starting to show her age :(

I bought my dogs a new bowl from the Sydney Royal in 2012, put it in the same spot as the old one. They didn't like it and rarely drank from it. I had another dog visit who was getting on in years and I lifted the bowl up for him to drink from. Wow, all of a sudden my 2 decided they too could drink from it. Dogs are funny creatures and often people never have any idea what is going around in the head