To Respond Or Not Too

I have in my care a wonderful 9 year old dog (poodle) he is wonderful calm laid back dog social yet still very playful. He is available for adoption and Ive done his photos a video etc .

He is in good health teeth done ..

Anyway I recieved an e-mail . she writes

...he is very old dog but the main problem is (their dogs name ), he is my baby and would hate to upset him, is there any interest in him from anyone? thanks (name removed for privacy) is he a passive dog like my ( name removed ) was?

can you please tell me if he is a passive calm dog the poodle? really is there anyone else interested in him? what will happen to him if no one wants him? if we take him we should not be paying anything as he is a big responsibility.

OK I admit I was seeing red I happen to also see where people are coming from when they see the adoption fee of an older dog but its the wording that saw me piping hot this person has been a follower of the rescue for a while and often called to ask about a certain dog Ive always been polite answered her questions .Hubby says don"t even respond just delete it but I was wondering do you respond with justifing why there is an adoption fee ? send a polite email saying thankyou for your interest but ???? or simply hit delete

Yep! I'd be seeing red too.

On the other hand, you might see it as an opportunity to "educate" someone, recognising that some people are impossible to educate.

Perhaps a nice polite email addressing all the questions is dot point - easy for the recipient to understand.

I would also stress the point that dogs have a value beyond the material and deserve more than being thought of as a responsibility.

I have in my care a wonderful 9 year old dog (poodle) he is wonderful calm laid back dog social yet still very playful. He is available for adoption and Ive done his photos a video etc .

...he is very old dog but the main problem is (their dogs name ), he is my baby and would hate to upset him, is there any interest in him from anyone? thanks (name removed for privacy) is he a passive dog like my ( name removed ) was?

can you please tell me if he is a passive calm dog the poodle? really is there anyone else interested in him? what will happen to him if no one wants him? if we take him we should not be paying anything as he is a big responsibility.

OK I admit I was seeing red I happen to also see where people are coming from when they see the adoption fee of an older dog but its the wording that saw me piping hot this person has been a follower of the rescue for a while and often called to ask about a certain dog Ive always been polite answered her questions .Hubby says don"t even respond just delete it but I was wondering do you respond with justifing why there is an adoption fee ? send a polite email saying thankyou for your interest but ???? or simply hit delete

Dear (twit),

Thank you for your interest in (rescue dog). We have had a number of enquiries for him and we are committed to finding not just the right home, but the perfect one which is why (rescue dog) is still currently with us. Adoption fees do not reflect our belief in the value of the dog, all of our dogs in care are precious to us. Adoption fees assist us in covering vet and associated fees and allow us to continue helping other dogs needing rescue/rehome. Anyone potential adoptee who has a current dog is required to have a meet and greet between the two so we may ascertain if they are suitable. As you feel (rescue dog) would be a big responsibility to you, we suggest he may not be the right companion to introduce into your home. I wish you well in finding a suitable new dog for your family.

Edited by Ams

Dear (twit),

Thank you for your interest in (rescue dog). We have had a number of enquiries for him and we are committed to finding not just the right home, but the perfect one which is why (rescue dog) is still currently with us. Adoption fees do not reflect our belief in the value of the dog, all of our dogs in care are precious to us. Adoption fees assist us in covering vet and associated fees and allow us to continue helping other dogs needing rescue/rehome. Anyone potential adoptee who has a current dog is required to have a meet and greet between the two so we may ascertain if they are suitable. As you feel (rescue dog) would be a big responsibility to you, we suggest he may not be the right companion to introduce into your home. I wish you well in finding a suitable new dog for your family.

What Ams said - plus point out that 9 is not old!

Obviously English is not first language here and the cultural approach may be different. What is missing is why she is interested - is she looking for a companion to her current dog? I probably would reply with some information about why every dog will come with a price tag attached for reasons of costs incurred and because they all have value no matter the age. Also that each potential home is vetted for standards of care that will be provided to the dog.

Obviously English is not first language here and the cultural approach may be different. What is missing is why she is interested - is she looking for a companion to her current dog? I probably would reply with some information about why every dog will come with a price tag attached for reasons of costs incurred and because they all have value no matter the age. Also that each potential home is vetted for standards of care that will be provided to the dog.

I wondered about that, too, Rosetta and read it through a few times without coming to any conclusion. Languages can be very different in terms of emphases, positioning of qualifying words, etc etc and thus the person can come across as inappropriate to a "native" English speaker.

However, there is no mistaking the last sentence about how the dog should be free - LOL.

If I were to respond to a query such as this, I would be suggesting that while "her baby" is still with her, she should not be getting another dog.

For me the flag would be that she's enquired about several dogs without any follow-up. I'd just direct them to your application form and ask them to fill it out - or whatever your next step in the procedure is.

"Thank you for your enquiry. If you are interested in adopting our gorgeous Fuzzy please complete our adoption application form" - that normally sorts out the tyre-kickers. There seems to be a little subset of people who have active fantasy lives about adopting pets, but it is just a fantasy. Once they face the reality of actually doing something about it, you don't hear from them until the next dog to take their fancy.

For me the flag would be that she's enquired about several dogs without any follow-up. I'd just direct them to your application form and ask them to fill it out - or whatever your next step in the procedure is.

"Thank you for your enquiry. If you are interested in adopting our gorgeous Fuzzy please complete our adoption application form" - that normally sorts out the tyre-kickers. There seems to be a little subset of people who have active fantasy lives about adopting pets, but it is just a fantasy. Once they face the reality of actually doing something about it, you don't hear from them until the next dog to take their fancy.

Okay, I didn't absorb that bit, sorry. I'd be doing as Aphra says.

yes I did this the first time she asked about a dog I met her dog and the couple they were always worried about this and that but to be polite I did what I would for anyone .They are themselves an older couple and Ive explained the workings of rescue ....They are nice people just have their beliefs on why and how .

Im always polite to people and factual and till now she has been understanding the last dog she enquired about decided against because I couldn"t give her a 100% that HER dog would be happy so she said she would stick to one dog thanked me for answering her questions so honesty I thought I wouldn"t hear from her again... I think after the last line I won"t bother about giving her so much of my time and tell her as before the application is the same :) ---------

It doesn't even seem like she actually WANTS the dog. I'd be tempted to not respond, but get the feeling that that would just lead to more emails, - Ams's wording is great!

I got this impression too, like they think they are doing you a favour by offering to take the dog at no cost, even though it may inconvenience their current dog.

Well meaning maybe, but odd. Very odd.

You will find an awesome home for a 9yr old poodle and I guarantee there will be no waffling or complaining about the fee. :)

If you choose to respond just be brief and polite, keep it professional like Ams and Aphra's responses.

Sometimes people just don't understand what you're looking for and sometimes they aren't sure what they want either.

And sometimes you get a very cranky reply, that's when you hit delete.

I could be totally off but due to the fact she asked twice if the dog has had any interest and asking if he is like her previous dog just makes me feel maybe she doesn't necessarily want the dog, but feels compelled to because he reminds her of her previous dog ? Might just be me though! smile.gif

But seeing that she has asked after a number of dogs as well she could just be odd

9 is only middle aged for a Poodle... certainly not old by a long shot!

The adoption fee is non-negotiable - no matter what the person enquiring may feel about it. We've had people tell us that our dogs should be free "because they are rescues"... whatever that is supposed to mean. No matter the time, effort, and money we have put into them to prepare them for new forever homes.

T.

What size poodle? :D

And what colour? I have a couple of friends who have recently lost poodles to old age and may be interested in another. :)

Both poodles were a hell of a lot older than 9 by the way.

Edited by Haredown Whippets