What Breed? But With A Twist.

wings

This is probably a strange one but I've become addicted to Rottweilers. Love everything about them, I love the look, I love the temperament, I love the personality and luckily I have two that visit a few times a week so I can get snuggles, of course this means my dachie pup has joined me in my rottie addiction.

Tricky thing is they are just too big for my current lifestyle. So what smaller breeds share some of the wonderful qualities of the Rottweilers?

I think about having a Rotty too (if i was ever going to own a second breed) but they are too big! I want a dog that I can carry in an emergency, etc. Plus the size of crate they would need and the room they would take up on the lounge! Lol

Sorry - no help for you but understand where you are coming from :)

Tricky thing is they are just too big for my current lifestyle. So what smaller breeds share some of the wonderful qualities of the Rottweilers?

A Victorian couple used to own, show & breed Rotties & Tibetan Spaniels. There's something about the 'centred' nature of a well-bred, well-raised Rottie which is the same as a Tibbie. This couple were committed to both breeds, because of that.

I adore Rotties. Seems my own pet Tibbies might, too. When we go to doggie social events, my Tibbie girls are quite self-possessed around all the strange dogs. But they'll usually pick out one... which seems to get their full approval. Once it was a lovely Greyhound ... another time it was a huge, handsome Rottie with a glorious nature, named Robbie. I agreed with them.

Edited by mita

Thanks mita, I'll have to find some Tibbies to meet :D

I think you got it in one with the comment about a centred nature. The rotties I've met have that beautiful steadiness to them, they all seem like happy dogs and of course they have that wonderful doggy smile on their faces.

I think you got it in one with the comment about a centred nature. The rotties I've met have that beautiful steadiness to them, they all seem like happy dogs and of course they have that wonderful doggy smile on their faces.

Yes! Wish you were with me the day, a huge lost Rottie appeared near our library. Only 4 women volunteered to go help him (4 lane highway next to him). He was wearing a fancy collar with his ID.

We called him.... but he wasn't interested. Too busy free & sniffing!

Then I crouched down & said, 'Come on, darling!'. You should've seen the changed look on his face.... 'Someone likes me!'. Big smile.

He happily trotted over to us. One lady said, 'Can you sit, sweetheart?' Sweetheart sat with a bang, right on my foot. He was adorable.... & knew it. The librarians led him off to their office to phone his owners.... using a piece of string as a lead. :)

You have a great Rottie Club there in Victoria. There's a also a Tibetan Spaniel Association of Victoria. The breeders I mentioned used to be Committee Members.

Edited by mita

Wings, You weren't at Rotti club by chance last night were you?? :)

There was a lady there with a Dachy that Seven met.

Wasn't us sadly... I'm not sure I could be trusted around that many Rotties at one time :laugh: Although I might have to check it out sometime, you can never have enough Rottie cuddles!

Guest Maeby Fünke

A smooth coat black and tan griffon bruxellois, they look almost like a tiny rotty if you squint lol.

http://www.akita-hac...uppies-eng.html

Oh, they're beautiful! I wonder if they're expensive or hard to come by??

eta

I checked them out and I prefer Pugs :)

Edited by Maeby Fünke

A smooth coat black and tan griffon bruxellois, they look almost like a tiny rotty if you squint lol.

http://www.akita-hachimantai.com/griffons/griffons-puppies-eng.html

That is seriously adorable!

Std Smooth Dachie is a little Rotti in disguise .

Might be why I'm enjoying my Dachie so much :laugh:

I love rotts, they are my 'one day' breed. I know a few people who have rotts and pugs, but a Frenchie might also suit? Not that you can get black and tan ones (well, you shouldn't be able to).

Hadn't thought of the Frenchies, my boy is supposed to be having a play date with one on his first beach trip so it will be a good chance to meet one and see what he thinks of him.

How do you all avoid living with a small pack of dogs? So many wonderful breeds out there and even when I narrow my choices down I think I could easily end out living with about 5 dogs at anyone time :laugh: