Do Dogs Have Doggy Crushes?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

Ok this is weird but I ask this because Lucy at 2 hates most dogs and is always the dominant one but she just loves my mums 13 year old terrier boy (who subsequently doesn't think much of her). He's the only dog she's submissive too and sucks up to even though he's a quiet boy and doesn't have a dominant bone in his body (is the last to eat, take treats etc).

So does she have a doggy crush on him? Has this happened to anyone else? She licks his mouth and is very gentle with him, never ever seen her like it with any other dog.

I think they certainly have dogs they like a lot more then others. Some breeders can tell you stories of bitches having a preferd male and refusing to mate with other dogs.

My boy Dante is totally in love with two Sibe girls, Poppy and Scarlet. Every time he sees one of them he goes into flirt mode, kissing their ears, licking faces, prancing. He doesn't do this to any other girls, even when we've mated him.

Guest donatella

Poor old Nelson here doesn't really like her, she licks him when he's sleeping and he growls at her and she pays no attention, I think she likes a challenge :laugh:

There are a number of dogs that Elsie just thinks the world of. All mini schnauzers, even if they grump at her, she turns into a submissive wriggly mess at the sight of a mini! There are a few big boy dogs that she loves, and she really likes my friend's Brittany. Sometimes she will see a dog in the distance and think it's her friend and she gets all silly and wriggly until it comes over and she's like "oh... I don't know you!" and ignores them haha

There are a number of dogs that Elsie just thinks the world of. All mini schnauzers, even if they grump at her, she turns into a submissive wriggly mess at the sight of a mini! There are a few big boy dogs that she loves, and she really likes my friend's Brittany. Sometimes she will see a dog in the distance and think it's her friend and she gets all silly and wriggly until it comes over and she's like "oh... I don't know you!" and ignores them haha

My 45kg sheppie boy Seth fell in love at first sight with a 12wk old Welsh Springer puppy heart.gif

It was a bit disconcerting for the owners of the springer, when Seth would take her in his mouth (gently)

Robyn got use to having the puppy returned to her covered in Seth slime.............

Seth would spot the pup from several metres away & his attention would be only on/for her

No, they do not /can not have 'crushes'

Why on earth not :eek:? Where is your proof, please? I am sure the thousands of anecdotal stories would say you are absolutely incorrect.

Donatella, from watching my dogs, I've been considering of late whether to start a thread somewhat along these lines, but more in the line of "obsession". I haven't seen much flirting or coy behaviour that some posters have described, but over the years, I have seen total obsessions and playing with one dog to the excludion of all others.

The worst was with two of my little dogs who have crossed the bridge. Rover, a toy poodle rescued at nearly 17 years of age, was totally obsessed with Tilly, a tiny little l/h Chihuahua also rescued. Tilly's ears would always be wet from Rover sucking them; he would lick her sides and would stand over her, literally - she fitted underneath him :laugh: :laugh: . She never returned the attention, but didn't growl or snap. I even used Bitter Bile on her, but that didn't deter Rover.

Tamar used to be obsessed with Jeune to the extent that I described them as being joined at the hip because Tamar moved in sinc almost with Jeune in as much that if Jeune was on a bed, Tamar was there; if Jeune moved to the couch, Tamar was there, and so on. This has decreased over the years and now Tamar plays with Danny and recently they have allowed Bunter into their play.

Myrtie is obsessed with Tamar, but Tamar won't have anything to do with her :cry::cry: . If Tamar leaves the room, Myrtie gives a shrieking bark and follows, she jumps around Tamar trying to get her to play, but again, no go. It makes me feel sad.

Every so often, Jeune seems to remember that she is female and gorgeous and starts flirting with Danny and only him. It is as though she is on heat (though desexed, of course) and she displays, pins her ears back, etc etc.

Why on earth not ? Where is your proof, please? I am sure the thousands of anecdotal stories would say you are absolutely incorrect.

I could well be incorrect - I'm good at that ;)

A crush - usually a human adolescent thing - is , AFAIK , when a young person projects all sorts of things onto the object of their interest /desire . It is also a way to prepare for adult romantic love - a way to practice linking someone to fantasies .. a way to survive rejections and disinterest in a gentler way before adult relationships :)

I'm not convinced dog brains work that way ....

I don't know if "crush" is the correct term for it, but I've seen quotes a few of them!

My Kelpie Reggie is often the focus of 'flirty' attention.

My old boy Rocky certainly has a 'crush' on a BC at the dog park. Rocky whines and gets all excited when he sees Judge, he then follows him around.

My friends JRT is a bit of a bitch and either doesn't like or is indifferent to most dogs, except Wombat. Who is a huge goofy, very 'not-standard BC, she goes NUTS for him.

I think it's funny watching doggy "crushes". It usually rather cute!

My older border collie girl has a huge thing for a dog 9 years younger (to the day funnily enough) than her. She will scream and flirt across the room at dog club to him. Almost all other dogs she does not care too much about :laugh:.

My border collie boy has a few special dogs he gets excited about seeing, all other dogs get a less than desirable greeting if they come close enough.

Quinn has had two "crushes", even as a puppy she's always been quite sensible in her approach to other dogs, happy to interact with them but quite calm and mature. Her first crush was on an entire male 7yo Boxer, every time she saw him at the dog park she would go all silly, run up to him with the low, wiggly body and waggy tail going on, lick his face and jump all around him. He'd mostly just ignore her :laugh:

At our new dog park there is an entire male 10yo Rough Collie who is her new crush, she does the same silly behaviour with him :)

She is entire but she hasn't only done it when she's approaching a season, it's whenever she sees them, and she's met plenty of other entire males who she's not at all interested in. There are also other dogs she likes to have a game with but doesn't do the flirty thing with them :shrug:

Edited by Simply Grand

My Jas has a huge thing for an elderly Visla boy, she has only met him 2 or 3 times but she goes absolutely batty, flirts, sings, goes crazy.

He couldn't care less :laugh:

Edited by Diva

Some boys are more appealing than others. My entire male Dally is an absolute hit with every bitch (entire or spayed) that he meets. Picture a very temperamental dog aggressive, older, spayed, off leash Kelpie mix bitch flying across the oval at an agility trial. Owner is completely freaking out as we appeared out of nowhere after a run. Aforementioned bitch flew up to Ziggy and...play bowed :eek: :laugh: It was just hilarious and every girl has the same reaction - it must be something about his body language and hormones as 99% of males (entire and castrated) hate him and will target him from afar.