Clip Or No Clip?

HugUrPup

Leave it long or make it short?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Leave it long or make it short?

• yes, it's going to be hot and she isn't in show anyway
    • No, she's a spaniel for goodness sake.. leave it alone.

Miley doesn't get shown, so she doesn't really "have" to have a beautiful long silky coat. Her coat is pretty fluffy for some reason anyway.. it was clipped off a year ago and never grew back quite the same.

It's going to be a hot Summer so I am considering taking her coat short again.

Opinions? A vote maybe? lol

Edited by HugUrPup

You need to get all the "fluffy" out of her coat regardless if it's short or long - undercoat or "fluffy" coat is what keeps the dog's body heat in. So get her undercoat/fluff out and then see what she's like. Clipping the stomach is often enough, leave her looking like a Cav on the outside but all nekkid underneath :laugh:

Personally I never understand why people buy a dog with a coat then chop it all off, but that's entirely the owner's choice.

My neighbours had a CKCS they clipped and her coat was so weird and fuzzy when it grew back over winter, that and she looked really odd.

I'm with Sandra, you need to get the under coat out anyway, just brush her really well. Cav coats aren't that big.

She has no under coat, I groom her heaps. A year ago she got matted and rather than put her through the pain of me taking each one out, I agreed to have her clipped by my grooming teacher. It's not that she has a fluffy undercoat, it's that her long coat isn't silky anymore. It used to be wavy but it's straighter now and looks dryer and not as shiny. Maybe it just need to grow longer and I am being inpatient. At least now she never gets knots, because I know what I am doing lol

I'll show you a photo...brb

This is what my Cavaliers fur is like, especially around his back legs. It's more fluffy like you said, and looks as though his puppy fur hasn't grown out. Not sure why that's the case! I groom him so often too!

I don't believe it needs to be done, its designed for their insulation. We just trim up ours up around their foot pads and ears if need be..

My husband was reading a good write up about this very subject earlier this morning, i'll ask for the link later.

Its often discussed over and over in my Cavalier fb group.. the pros and cons.. heaps do clip their Cavs right back

You need to get all the "fluffy" out of her coat regardless if it's short or long - undercoat or "fluffy" coat is what keeps the dog's body heat in. So get her undercoat/fluff out and then see what she's like. Clipping the stomach is often enough, leave her looking like a Cav on the outside but all nekkid underneath :laugh:

Personally I never understand why people buy a dog with a coat then chop it all off, but that's entirely the owner's choice.

I agree..

each to their own of course..

I just sprayed organic hair shine with olive extract in her coat and it looks soooo much better :thumbsup:

for dogs , or humans ?

A lot of human products have scents/ingredients which may not be suitable for dogs' noses, or their systems if licked off ;)

A good diet , shaved underbelly .... and somewhere cool to lie :)

Yeh she is pink skinned but I wouldn't shave her off just clip her short.. if I actually do clip her.

Persephone: It's for humans but totally organic and chemical free. It's mostly olive oil and apples :thumbsup:

She has lots of cool spots to lay in the heat, I was just finding an excuse to clip off her frizzy coat :p I'll see how the fish oil goes and I will keep applying oil to her coat.

Edited by HugUrPup

I voted yes but not for the reason you provided.

I currently care for my daughter's Cav and have done for 3 years (fingers crossed he is moving to Melbourne very, very soon as she looked at a pet friendly place today). I live rurally, we have a lot of grass & grass seeds and we were having issues with them. He also has a lot of coat and I simply don't have the time to care for it that she did. It is much simpler for him to be clipped in my house - I wouldn't choose to own a Cavalier myself because of my current time constraints due to the other animals who live with me.

I wouldn't clip a long haired dog. Was told years ago that it's there for a reason, cool in summer & thicker for the winter. If it's clipped really close & the dog likes to lay in the sun they can get sunburnt. Also was told at an obedience club I used to take April to, when it's hot don't wet the dog all over, only on the tummy. When the sun hits the wet coat it heats it up causing the dog to over heat.