What Breed Is This Very Cute Dog?

Hobartian

I downloaded some wallpaper for my PC and found the attached picture of a very cute dog. There was no information provided with the image.

Can any member possibly identify what breed of dog it is as I am really fascinated with it.post-51172-0-31284100-1388625297_thumb.jpg

Definitely Fennec Fox... they are seriously cute, but have very sharp little teeth!

Taronga Zoo have 4 new additions to their Fennec Fox family... deadly cute!

11561886126_b58a217474_b.jpg

26-12-2013-taronga 788 by tdierikx, on Flickr

11561795175_dd8dbcf64e_b.jpg

26-12-2013-taronga 233 by tdierikx, on Flickr

11561930776_413f720934_b.jpg

26-12-2013-taronga 119 by tdierikx, on Flickr

11519714046_91cd270650_b.jpg

22-12-2013-taronga 933 by tdierikx, on Flickr

11357017105_e55312ffcd_b.jpg

08-12-2013-taronga 998 by tdierikx, on Flickr

T.

Thanks for your responses.

Yes the animal is indeed a Fennec Fox which is a shame as it is not a DOG.

Apparently foxes are not suitable as house hold pets and are definitely banned in Tasmania.

Mind you my Chinese Crested dog also is very cute!

post-51172-0-99924500-1388629798_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your responses.

Yes the animal is indeed a Fennec Fox which is a shame as it is not a DOG.

Apparently foxes are not suitable as house hold pets and are definitely banned in Tasmania.

Mind you my Chinese Crested dog also is very cute!

post-51172-0-99924500-1388629798_thumb.jpg

aww cute. Fennec foxes are banned as pets everywhere. They are highly endangered. They are not normal European foxes.

You Tube presentation by US lady who's giving expert advice on how the Fennec fox shapes up as a pet (seems allowed as an 'exotic pet' in some places). Adds up, IMO, why it's not a good idea for either a little creature that's hardwired for living in the wild.... nor for the people trying to make it otherwise. She's associated with an exotic pets sanctuary so she'd be speaking from experience:

Edited by mita

You can have just about anything as a pet in parts of the US. :( I don't understand why anyone would want a pet Fennec fox, they are not domesticated and should be allowed to live as in as close to a natural situation as possible if they are in captivity. With so many people unable even to responsibly care for something like a dog or a cat, it is madness to breed an animal like this to keep as pets.

They are stunningly beautiful little animals, and so fascinating. :)

They are usually very shy too... not always lucky enough to see them out and about at the zoo either, and when they are, it's a photo taking frenzy to get as many pics as possible - mostly to prove they are actually there... lol!

T.

Well, I guess I have the option of buying a Fennec fox and registering it with the local council as a miniature chihuahua.

However, a better idea would be to buy an actual miniature chihuahua as pictured. The animals are some what similar in appearance.

post-51172-0-75945900-1388651126_thumb.png

Yep you can even buy our native sugar gliders in some states :( the exotic pet market is pretty lucrative.

Sugar gliders are widely available in Florida. They're not expensive, eg:. http://gainesville.craigslist.org/pet/4226682437.html ($100)

But then, so are dozens of bird and reptile species, not to mention arachnids. The exotic animal market seems to have been hit hard by the great recession. Macaws, African greys, etc., regularly show up in our equivalent of Gumtree. So sad, given how long these birds live and how badly messed up they get in captivity.

Fennec's would be a disaster in Oz . . . being native to hot desert, if they got loose they'd thrive in the interior. In the US they'd just be one more small predator.

Well, I guess I have the option of buying a Fennec fox and registering it with the local council as a miniature chihuahua.

However, a better idea would be to buy an actual miniature chihuahua as pictured. The animals are some what similar in appearance.

post-51172-0-75945900-1388651126_thumb.png

Miniature chihuahuas don't exist. There's just Chihuahuas.