Getting A Dog Through Private Rehoming

kiwioz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much for all the replies! Great to hear of the good stories people have had with taking on rehomed dogs :thumbsup: Some great suggestions and tips as well which I'm taking on board and investigating, plus talking to cowanbree about any local breeders who might have something :)

Saithroth I guess it depends on the dog - from what people have posted here obviously some dogs cope really well, but I'm sure some do find it difficult. Dogs on the whole are pretty adaptable though and I'd hazard a guess that in most cases they cope far better than the owners!

I think it would be ok

My brother recently got a dog from a friend whose family couldn't handle it - its a tall bouncy golden retriever cross.

The dog is much better behaved in my brother's home after only a few months. So the issues it came with are largely gone now.

I think if someone needs to rehome their dog for whatever reason - if they can organise it themselves while looking after the dog until a new home is found - that's for the best. So we'd have to look at private rehomes if we want to reward that.

I also tell these people they should put a token price on the dog - that would cover the cost of desex and microchipping, and maybe discourage people who do the wrong thing with dogs they get for free. It is up to the owner and the potential adopter to check each other out.

I agree with this. When we had to rehome our beloved dogs, I put a price on the dogs as I didn't want people looking for a 'free' dog.

ETA: before we got our current breed, I did look at getting a mature dog from a breeder as they are so hard to find...however we got lucky and ended up with a puppy. The female though, was 6 months when we got her and the only issue we have with her besides her shyness (she's a lot better now), is that she hadn't been housetrained and I had to start from scratch.

Edited by poochmad

Private rehomings can be fine - it depends on each individual case. There are many genuine reasons to rehome. Those who are willing to provide vet details etc are best. All shelters and rescues advise people to try and rehome their dogs themselves rather than surrender them.

It may even be preferable to acquire a dog from a family home rather than a breeder whose dogs are not brought up in a home environment. A mature dog used to a kennel setting may have some difficulty adjusting to a home.

Naww Boronia the schnauzer is just gorgeous but way too big for us at the moment! The spitz is a cutie too - though I'd probably prefer to stick to the South Island if possible so that it's easier to drive there with Finn and suss things out :)

Poochmad and rosetta if we go the breeder route I'd definitely want to make sure the dog had been a house dog, especially because here they'd be inside a lot of the time.

Also rosetta good call on the vet details - I didn't think of asking for that.

How do the re-homed dogs go with separation anxiety from their original owners? Can it mess with them mentally a lot?

All my dogs except from the first two as puppies have been from pounds or from people rehoming.

None has ever suffered separation anxiety and they have all settled in amazingly quickly.

While some dogs are a one-person dogs and if separated will miss that person forever, most will adapt if given plenty of love and have their specific needs recognised and met.

Saithroth I guess it depends on the dog - from what people have posted here obviously some dogs cope really well, but I'm sure some do find it difficult. Dogs on the whole are pretty adaptable though and I'd hazard a guess that in most cases they cope far better than the owners!

Yes, good question, Saithroth ... I agree with your answer, K.

A tendency towards separation anxiety can be in a dog you raise from a pup ... so there's quite a few variables in it. Much depends on the individual dog. The 8 yr old we adopted, waltzed right in as if she'd lived here always. Yet, because of sad circumstances, ours was her 4th home. But our 7 month old sheltie, direct from a good breeder, did show SA. With easy to follow guidelines from a UQ vet behaviourist, it was soon fixed.

There are things that new owners & relinquishing owners can do to lessen the risk of separation anxiety occurring. Some tips like that are being discussed in the Rescue Forum at the moment about a sheltie rescued, then lovingly fostered, who'll now be going into a brilliant forever home.

My mate had a rotweiler and after a year he went to WA for a year whilst his parents looked after him. It drove the dog insane and became human aggressive. Very vicious, one of the few dogs I've been scared of. He was quite a happy friendly dog before that.

My mate had a rotweiler and after a year he went to WA for a year whilst his parents looked after him. It drove the dog insane and became human aggressive. Very vicious, one of the few dogs I've been scared of. He was quite a happy friendly dog before that.

I read that to say the rottie was around a year old when the owner left it with the parents?

if so ..that PUPPY then matured into a powerful dog , and perhaps the aggression was there all along..and became stronger with the onset of maturity.

there are a lot of people who breed rotties (and other breeds) without consideration to temperament. They have a stream of buyers who want "macho" dogs ..NOW ..and so size etc is paramount.

Unfortunately too, health problems can cause aggression ... and obviously I have no idea if that rottie was thoroughly checked. pain, tumours- all sorts can show as aggression :(

Edited by persephone

We ended up with Kira via a private rehoming and although it's not what we set out to do, it just ended up that way and it was one of the best things we ever did. She is the most gentle natured dog and we've not had a single issue with her from a temperament or health perspective.

We didn't actually get her from the owners though, we got her from the owners next door neighbour. The owners were moving and were just going to take her to the pound but the elderly neighbours who used to pat her over the fence couldn't bear the thought of that so said they would take her and look after her until they could find her a new home, she was about 8 months old at the time. She's now 10 and I still often find myself wondering how someone could not want her.

In regards to payment, we did offer the elderly couple some money for her but they refused as they were only interested in her going to a good home.

Edited by Malamum

Well things came together quite fast in the end and we have welcomed a new member of the family :D :thumbsup:

Charlie is a 3yo silky x bichon (though at only 3kg I don't know if that's the full story!). He is an absolute sweetheart though a complete nutter at the same time!! After all the discussion on here I was paying attention to both the dog and the background he might be coming from. We got lucky and had the magic combination - Charlie comes from a lovely family who were gutted to see him go :( There were multiple (genuine) reasons for the rehoming, not least of which being kicked out of their home for long term earthquake repairs. Mum wanted to check out our property and find out all about us and where Charlie would be. I have all his vet/vaccination records and was able to ask all sorts of questions and find out all about him :)

He just came home this evening, Finn is still getting used to the idea but we knew we'd done the right thing when the two of them had a HUGE play and chase session, I haven't seen Finn that active and happy in ages :thumbsup:

I really appreciate all the thoughts and advice in this thread, it helped me find our new boy and I think we've found a great match for us, Finn and our lifestyle.

And don't worry, I've been on DOL long enough to know you can't write a post like this without pics!!!

IMG_1545_zps9ac96a71.jpg

IMG_1575_zps7f0188ab.jpg

IMG_1577_zpsc317c150.jpg

IMG_1540_zpsf9bb9709.jpg