Preparing For Next Weeks Severe To Extreme Heat...

westiemum

The heat that day was incredible, I had thermometers out under our patio that day(we were w ten minutes drive from the Diamond Creek evac shelter) and they were reading 54 at one point. I had all our animals inside the house and it was still close to 40 in the house as we didn't have air con, that was a horrible few days even before the loss of home and life so close to us.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a doggy coolmat from my local pet supply store at the beginning of summer this year and I keep it near our front door which is the coolest part of the house - he likes to lay on it on warm evenings and during the day if it gets too hot for him.

Please be careful if you're relying on fans and evap coolers to keep your pets from overheating . A few years back when in the middle of a heatwave (Black Sat) I heard of a lady who left her 2 SWFs out under her pergola with fans on. There was a power outage because of the heat and the fans stopped. Her dogs where found dead when she came home from work that night. :(

Thanks for the warning bozzieUD - but believe me my guys won't be outside next week except for toiletting. And I'm desperately trying to find air-conditioned spots to 'park' them for as many days as possible next week.

I dont know if this has been suggested but a sandpit in the shade and wet it down. My dogs love this. They dig down where its really cool. Feels lovely if you try it. Although makes for some sandy pets. I ended up with two as they will fight over it.

when I used to have to leave my dogs in the hot weather I'd just water alot under a shady tree or bush so they could dig down to the cool damp soil. They have a wading pool too although not all of them use it.

We're in for a hot few days now and I've just gone round and filled up the bird bath and a shallow bowl on the ground for any little wild critters that might come around. Dont forget them too.

Edited by Kirislin

OK - I'm as organised and air-conditioned as possible this week. Today they are at home inside with a cool mat with the house-mate. Then tomorrow a very kind friend has said she will doggy daycare them for me in her air conditioning. Then Wednesday and Thursday they all go to Dog City day care, then on Friday their 'grandmother' will have them in her air-conditioning for the day. I've decided if things get too problematic overnight heat-wise I'll take a pill or head to the mothers air-conditioned couch.

Hope everyone is staying cool and safe.smile.gif

I have put some alfoil in some of our windows today and am very happy with the noticeable drop in temperature coming through them :thumbsup:

I've never heard of this before. Wouldn't towels/sheets/blankets/tinted glass work as well?

OK - I'm as organised and air-conditioned as possible this week. Today they are at home inside with a cool mat with the house-mate. Then tomorrow a very kind friend has said she will doggy daycare them for me in her air conditioning. Then Wednesday and Thursday they all go to Dog City day care, then on Friday their 'grandmother' will have them in her air-conditioning for the day. I've decided if things get too problematic overnight heat-wise I'll take a pill or head to the mothers air-conditioned couch.

It probably sounds prohibitive, but in your situation, I think I'd be looking at installing air conditioning, Westiemum. I feel the heat terribly and even on supposedly cooler days (26-27) sometimes feel as though I am about to auto combust :(:(

I spend most of my time indoors because I can hardly move without being saturated with perspiration :cry: .

I also have an evaporative cooler which is useless unless trained directly on me. Does not cool the room down, but I move it around the areas where the air conditioning doesn't reach, eg study and bathroom. I also have fully lined curtains in bedrooms and study and louvres in the loungeroom and keep all these closed on the really hot days. This certainly makes a difference.

On the rare occasions I leave the house through the middle of the day, everything gets turned off. No way would I knowlingly leave any applicance switched on when I am not in the house. However, if I have had the air conditioning on, the house is still quite cool when I get home. I'm rarely gone for more than a few hours, but I understand the difficulty and worries for those who are gone for the whole working day.

I wish I could help out, but SA a bit far away.

My dogs (all elderly) are like heat seeking missiles .... I'll find them lying in the sun when it is over 30. :eek:

Edited by Danny's Darling

I have bought pedestal fans with the water wells and the mist comes out ice cold and feels dry

My two have 2 wading pools full of water, they will lay in them most of the day. I worry more about my kangaroos and 40 year old mini pony

I have put some alfoil in some of our windows today and am very happy with the noticeable drop in temperature coming through them :thumbsup:

I've never heard of this before. Wouldn't towels/sheets/blankets/tinted glass work as well?

I think the difference is it reflects the sun and does not absorb the heat. Towels/blankets etc I think would absorb the heat. Tinted glass would also work but not something that can be quickly and easily done.

DD..westiemum is currently housesitting ..... ;)

re: using foil..yes ..it reflects heat away from the glass ..esp when used with teh shiny side facing outwards . remember those 'space blankets? ' They worked so well as that shiny inner side, facing the body, reflected body heat back onto the person ..and stopped rapid heat loss :)

It probably sounds prohibitive, but in your situation, I think I'd be looking at installing air conditioning, Westiemum. I feel the heat terribly and even on supposedly cooler days (26-27) sometimes feel as though I am about to auto combust :(:(

I spend most of my time indoors because I can hardly move without being saturated with perspiration :cry: .

I also have an evaporative cooler which is useless unless trained directly on me. Does not cool the room down, but I move it around the areas where the air conditioning doesn't reach, eg study and bathroom. I also have fully lined curtains in bedrooms and study and louvres in the loungeroom and keep all these closed on the really hot days. This certainly makes a difference.

On the rare occasions I leave the house through the middle of the day, everything gets turned off. No way would I knowlingly leave any applicance switched on when I am not in the house. However, if I have had the air conditioning on, the house is still quite cool when I get home. I'm rarely gone for more than a few hours, but I understand the difficulty and worries for those who are gone for the whole working day.

I wish I could help out, but SA a bit far away.

My dogs (all elderly) are like heat seeking missiles .... I'll find them lying in the sun when it is over 30. :eek:

Thanks DD but installing aircon in the housesit is financially out of the question when I have a major building project on and a house-mate/land-lord who is highly unlikely to even consider sharing the cost. My bedroom has a pull-down blind which I'm keeping down all day but overall I think I just have to tough it out. This too will pass...

ETA: The new house will have commercial industrial strength aircon!! :thumbsup:

Edited by westiemum

I have bought pedestal fans with the water wells and the mist comes out ice cold and feels dry

My two have 2 wading pools full of water, they will lay in them most of the day. I worry more about my kangaroos and 40 year old mini pony

Cas now I'm really pricking my ears up - where did you get your fans with water wells? They sound terrific.

Sadly my woosie guys won't go near water - I got them as adults and don't think they had any experience with it at all before they came to me. Hope your pony will be OK - very hard at that age.

Edited by westiemum

Cas now I'm really pricjking my ears up - where did you get your fans with water wells? They sound terrific.

Sadly my woosie guys won't go near water - I got them as adults and don't think they had any experience with it at all before they came to me. Hope your pony will be OK - very hard at that age.

I got mine from Deals Direct but saw them at Big W this morning for $70, I have them by the rabbits and birds and you could not tell there is water it looks like a white smoky mist and even with your hand there it doesn't get wet but it is really cold air

DD..westiemum is currently housesitting ..... ;)

Ah - didn't realise that.

Hopefully you can ride it all out safely, Westiemum (and all those in heatwaves); in the meantime, concentrate on the industrial strength air con in the future.

ABC News 24 is currently broadcasting regarding the heatwave to come.

1389583211[/url]' post='6393814']
1389583074[/url]' post='6393811']
1389576135[/url]' post='6393711']

Cas now I'm really pricjking my ears up - where did you get your fans with water wells? They sound terrific.

I got mine from Deals Direct but saw them at Big W this morning for $70, I have them by the rabbits and birds and you could not tell there is water it looks like a white smoky mist and even with your hand there it doesn't get wet but it is really cold air

Fantastic - thanks Cas - will detour via BigW on the way home tonight. (Sad when you get so excited over a fan isn't it! laugh.gif)

Ness thanks for the heads up on the cooling mats - have just grabbed two!

My adults won't willingly get in water either. The teenagers will wade in the river a bit, and Zander likes to stick his head in and blow bubbles... :crazy: We have done what someone else mentioned and run sprinklers the night before under the shadiest trees, and the older sooks love lying on the damp spots the next day. My older boy Boris sleeps inside the dog trailer in the shed all day - it's like a insulated little palace!

My pups use clamshell pools very happily, or play under the sprinkler. They also love frozen blocks in the clamshells, bits of carrot etc frozen into them are another enticement to get in the water.

My worry has been our old and senile Goldie girl, who has started being confused by feeling hot, and then getting restless. Which leads to wandering about and getting hotter. I had to take her physically into the clamshell pool yesterday (she will normally get in by herself but wouldn't go near it yesterday - go figure!?), and the heat coming off her into the water was horrible!! So I ran the cold hose down her underside and throat. She settled after that and lay on the verandah and slept all afternoon with no more panting.

We have a fairly new pony and I'm convinced he had never experienced a hose in his life. But after a few gentle goes recently he is starting to look forward to a spray and even had a full bath yesterday with minimal wide eyes (a bit sad he may have never had so much attention!).