Ballarat Dog Attack

Leah82

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/2022872/three-year-old-sparks-vicious-dog-attack-in-wendouree/?cs=61

I have family that live across the road from where this happened who witnessed the attack.

Interestingly my cousin said the dogs looked like two ridge-back crosses as opposed to staffy crosses as mentioned in the article. Although as far as I know she doesn't have too much exposure to dogs and different breeds so as far as I know the truth as always is probably somewhere in the middle.

It is frustrating that the media quote inflammatory statements made in the heat of the moment like "I believe these dogs should be banned, especially when you see them do something like that."

Considering the dogs were by all account cross breeds, then how does anyone hope to ban them?

I understand what you are saying but from reading that report the banned statement comes from the guy who was walking the dog, which I suppose he would want the dogs banned.

What puzzles me is why does this even get media attention? I would hazard a guess that there are dogs attacking dogs every day of the week around Australia, what triggers a newspaper article? (A second look says to me that it appears to be a local type paper, which could explain the interest)

Guest Wildthing

Where was a responsible adult to supervise the 3 year old child? People who own dogs should put padlocks on any gates that can be opened 'accidently' by a child or adult.

I don't care what breed of dogs attacked, it is irrelevant.

How do you ban two specific dogs and what are you banning them from? Should we send them to NSW :p . I think my cousin was a little clearer when she said she hoped they got put down.

From what I understand the girl did not live at the same residence as the dogs - she was wandering alone and her mother didn't know where she was, this is apparently not the first time this has happened for that household. The police got involved in that case so hopefully Mum got a stern warning.

How do you ban two specific dogs and what are you banning them from? Should we send them to NSW :p . I think my cousin was a little clearer when she said she hoped they got put down.

From what I understand the girl did not live at the same residence as the dogs - she was wandering alone and her mother didn't know where she was, this is apparently not the first time this has happened for that household. The police got involved in that case so hopefully Mum got a stern warning.

I presume they mean a dangerous dog declaration. Seems a bit rough though considering the dogs were let out, having said that if a three year old could let them out, I am not sure that the were adequately contained.

Yes, I hope Mum got a telling off!! Especially if it wasn't a one off. A three year old wandering with no supervision?? Where is the story about that??!!

I don't believe in dog ownership that you don't know your dog is seriously dog aggressive and what annoys me to a great degree are the amount of owners with dog aggressive dogs who do nothing about training and rehabilitation of dog aggression and lack the vigilance to keep other peoples dogs safe from their dogs predatory behaviour.

For some reason of late I have noticed an increase in dog aggressive dogs in a mixture of breeds and X breeds whilst pounding the footpath with my dogs, restrained in a fashion by their owners, but the type of aggression that you are in hope the leash doesn't break or slip from the handler's hands. Dogs injured like this poor Whippet as reported need the owners dealt with in the same fashion as if dogs attacked a person.

She might be OK but I'm sure she'll never be the same and nor will the person walking her. These attacks don't take place without having serious repercussions for those attacked - I can only hope those who have enabled this attack will be appropriately dealt with. You cannot be responsible and have aggressive dogs behind a gate that a child can open. :(

Edited by dogmad

That poor Whippet, I am amazed she is alive and amazed she managed to flee with such extensive injuries. What a tough little dog. The owners and dog will never be the same again. And people wonder why I am protective of my Whippets when dogs run up to them!

The dogs concerned should be pts. I don't care how they got out, there is no place in this world for any dog that will attack another unprovoked. The owner should also be fined and made to pay all vet costs for not having the dogs safely contained so they couldn't be let out. I am sick to death of irresponsible morons with dog aggressive dogs who do not see it as a problem. They have taken away much of the pleasure of dog ownership when you can no longer take your dog for a walk without fearing another dog will attack and possibly kill it.

Poor little whippet the gate should have been locked and the owners of the two dogs should without a doubt pay for the vet bills. Though why this is generating so much interest is strange. Dog gets injured in dog fights how many thousands of times every year. PTS these dogs is way over the top unless they have a other bad attacks in the past. My dog has been bitten twice requiring vet treatment didnt want the dogs pts ,maybe the owner but not the dog.

And all for the sake of an unsupervised toddler and an unlocked gate :(

I'm glad the owner finally dropped the lead. Whippets have the speed to get themselves out of most attacks but their fine skin and lack of body fat offer little resistance to bites

Dogs are what they are - better management would have prevented this. I'm glad Tilly is recovering well physically but I have no doubt it will have left a toll on her temperament

Edited by Haredown Whippets

For those wondering why the fuss, those dogs also attacked the person who was walking Tilly when he tried to intervene to save her.

Tilly the whippet was able to flee because the dogs were tearing at the elderly man walking her and did not pursue her. Fortunately passers-by and nearby residents intervened to help the gentleman and the attacking pair fled. It is very very lucky that his injuries were not worse. Tilly is his daughter's dog and he often walks her for his daughter.

Tilly is well on the way to recovery now, but it was touch and go for the first 24 hours.

Edited to add: No, I didn't have it quite right. The attacking dogs DID pursue Tilly, so the elderly man was lucky to only have bite injuries on his hand and leg, for which he received hospital treatment (I am assuming in emergency department as an outpatient.) Tilly ran to her nearby home and was taken immediately to a local vet.

The original article in the paper featured a photograph of the injured man, all bandaged up, at the scene of the attack. I don't think they managed to get a pic of the injured dog until later....

http://www.thecourie...endouree/?cs=62

Edited by RuralPug