When To Take Newborn Pups To Vet?

Chloegirl

Hi, my first litter was born, last night, 8 puppies all seem healthy and so does my bitch. I called the vet this morning to make an appointment for Monday, at 3 days old for a check up of both mum and pups and to have dew claws removed. I was told that no, I don't bring them in until 6 weeks of age unless there are any major concerns. When I asked about dew claws, I was told they are not done until 6 months of age when they are desexed.

I was wondering, is this normal? Is it ok to leave it that long? It just seems to go against everything I have read.

Hi, my first litter was born, last night, 8 puppies all seem healthy and so does my bitch. I called the vet this morning to make an appointment for Monday, at 3 days old for a check up of both mum and pups and to have dew claws removed. I was told that no, I don't bring them in until 6 weeks of age unless there are any major concerns. When I asked about dew claws, I was told they are not done until 6 months of age when they are desexed.

I was wondering, is this normal? Is it ok to leave it that long? It just seems to go against everything I have read.

NO WAY should dew claws be left that long. Call another vet.

Don't have a lot of choice when it comes to vets being a country town, nearest bigger town is 2 hours drive unfortunately. Chloe hasn't had her dewclaws removed, but being a first timer I really just want to do everything right. How important is it to have them removed and also the check-up? Should I really be trying to get an appointment further away?

My breeder only ever had the 1 litter so not hugely experienced so wasn't really able to give advice. They were an orphaned litter born via c-section so pups were at the vet anyway. (Same local vet clinic)

Edited by Chloegirl

what breed are the pups?

Removing front dewclaws isn't routine on most breeds..but if you do decide to do it - it needs to be done within a few days .Having a post-whelping check on teh bitch is much more important for someone new .... , I feel.

They are boxers. Being our first time especially I would have thought it was important, not really knowing some of the things I should be looking out for.

I was told dew claws had to be done within 3 days of birth even thats too long for some breeders.

As for mum did you count the placentas?

did you speak to a nurse or the Vet ?

If you want to take them in make the appointment tell them you want to be sure.

But they sound ignorant and not very knowledgeable. Bad idea to dew claw at 6 weeks but they should know that.

It may be worth the trip somewhere else. cause will you be confident in them if something did go wrong???

Ideally the vet should see mum and pups asap after the litter is born to check for fluid in the puppy's lungs, cleft palates, etc and to make sure the bitch is finished and no part of any placentas have been retained. Then dew claws are done at 3 days, no later under any circumstances. Back dew claws are removed on nearly all breeds, front ones on some breeds and Boxers are one of those breeds. It sounds like these vets have no idea about breeding dogs so you might have to travel to find one who does know what they are doing. No point visiting a vet who hasn't got a clue what they are supposed to do.

Edited by dancinbcs

Not sure if its the usual or a requirement for showing for Boxers to have dew claws removed. However if there is no good reason I can't see the point in removing them. Its a whole joint not just a nail thats removed.

As a Boxer is a short coated dog the owners can see if the dew claw need trimming & its no big deal to do that.

Unless there is a particular worry about anything I think its safer & less upsetting for the bitch to leave them to settle & have the first vet check when you are ready for vaccination etc.

Getting them all in & out of the car, into the surgery, near other dogs, cats etc & having strange people handle them is not the best unless you have to do it.

Know what to look for, weigh pups every day & keep a chart, check frequently that every pup feeds & that none are pushed to one side alone.

I know a few dogs that have had a dew claw removed when older at desexing time. Its no big deal or much different except that it may need a stitch & it is a bit harder to keep older dogs clean & out of any dirt while it heals. Its a quick process while they are knocked out anyway, doesn't seem to bother them & heals up fast.

Good luck with your first litter. Its a bit scary but so exciting.

If the bitch is settled and the puppies are lively and well fed, then leave them at home and do not risk upsetting the bitch or exposing the pups to disease with a vet trip.

You need to find a breeder that is experienced in removing dew claws and have them come around and do them for you, today would be preferable.

I would leave them alone. If the pups are drinking and gaining weight, and the bitch is happy there is no problem. If the bitch had a retained placenta (or part thereof), there could be some signs by now. In any case, things will go wrong before 6 weeks and you will know about it. Thses vets probably wouldn't know about a retained placenta anyhow.

The dew claws should already be removed. However, 1/2 the boxer breeders (including me) no longer remove dew claws since the docking debacle. I have noticed no detriment to the pups. The tails cause more problems than the dew claws. Some boxers in the ring have dew claws too, seems to make no difference to their resuls.

so, please yourself.

And if my vet wanted to desex boxers at 6 months, I would go elsewhere.

Good luck!

Swan Hill is a fairly major centre there must be more than one vet in the area or nearby.... I am in Kilmore which has a smaller population and we have 4 vets within a 20 minute drive. Certainly sounds as if your vet is a bit behind the times.... for a start the recommended time for vaccinations is 1st at 8 weeks, 2nd at 12 weeks and 3rd at 16 weeks then not until 14 months and then every three years..... Prior to 8 weeks is no value as the pups Maternal Antibodies are too high. Here are some links for Articles about the vaccinations as well as other health information you will find useful: www.vetsallnatural.com.au www.animaloptions.com.au and www.itsfortheanimals.com/HEMOPET.HTM

I prefer to have a vet check of pups/bitch between 24 hours or 3 days.... whatever is convenient and get the vet to come to my home. Depends how things are going or if I have any concerns that the mum might have the chance for infection etc.

Often have found that some vets or vet nurses will give inexperienced people a hard time about certain issues - but if you know what is the recommended they will often abide by your wishes. Rear dew claws are best gone but don't worry too much about the front.

Ask other breeders for as much information as possible..... often they have more experience on these issues than a Vet.... after all not that many vets are breeders...... some things cannot be learnt just in a book.

I have just called the only other vet in the local area which I have been told by several people not to touch with a 10 foot pole, which is why they weren't really an option, and was told by them as well they don't do dew claws until 6 months when they do desexing as it is too dangerous to give an anaesthetic to pups under this age. I am so confused!

I would leave them alone. If the pups are drinking and gaining weight, and the bitch is happy there is no problem. If the bitch had a retained placenta (or part thereof), there could be some signs by now. In any case, things will go wrong before 6 weeks and you will know about it. Thses vets probably wouldn't know about a retained placenta anyhow.

The dew claws should already be removed. However, 1/2 the boxer breeders (including me) no longer remove dew claws since the docking debacle. I have noticed no detriment to the pups. The tails cause more problems than the dew claws. Some boxers in the ring have dew claws too, seems to make no difference to their resuls.

so, please yourself.

And if my vet wanted to desex boxers at 6 months, I would go elsewhere.

Good luck!

I think I might just forget about the dew claw thing. If it's not really a problem to have them, it's just not worth the hassle. Chloe seems really well and the pups seem to be going well, so maybe just leaving it until 6 weeks might be better.

I do agree about the tail thing, Chloe has ended up with a bleeding tail a few times from wagging too hard into a chair or wall!

Edited by Chloegirl

If I take dew claws off I do it between one puppy being born and the next - if you nip them out then there is no reaction as the endorphins from the birth are still pumping and its a 2 second job over and done with - no blood, no pain and back to mum - even three days is too long for me - but I don't bother these days.

This is a good dem o on a baby puppy post-199-0-82839500-1390208777_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just get yourself a curved pair of nail scissors and take the claws off. Have Potassium Promanganate hand to dust on and done...it's REALLY easy and no drama. Place the scissors firmly into the leg, and push til the dew claw pops away a bit, then cut. Seriously..you CAN do it...giving pups drugs at this age, never mind taking them to vets is stupid and more importantly only benefiting the vets bank balance!!

Just get yourself a curved pair of nail scissors and take the claws off. Have Potassium Promanganate hand to dust on and done...it's REALLY easy and no drama. Place the scissors firmly into the leg, and push til the dew claw pops away a bit, then cut. Seriously..you CAN do it...giving pups drugs at this age, never mind taking them to vets is stupid and more importantly only benefiting the vets bank balance!!

..I'd be hesitant , very, to advise this over the net ... I have seen way too much skin removed, some bone left ........ it's best done first under personal guidance :)

..I'd be hesitant , very, to advise this over the net ... I have seen way too much skin removed, some bone left ........ it's best done first under personal guidance :)

I did my first litter myself after watching some YouTube videos.

Get them to run around on concrete if you have some at your house like I do. My 7, 7 week old amstaff puppies have been outside daily for a fortnight, playing and running all over it. Their nails are trimmed naturally and no need to maintain them. Let the concrete do the work.