Elizabethan Collars

Waggy

Gee, I don't know. Someone else here might know.

You could wait until Clean Run has free shipping to Australia and see if you could get it then. I'm not sure if the Cloud collars ship free though.

eta

Oh, of course. You want the collar *now*. Sorry, I wasn't thinking :)

Edited by puggedforlife

Some dogs do lick (and even remove stitches) so just be careful. I find they are worse the second or third day. One of my standard poodles had to wear an elizabethan collar for 10 days recently when he had a lump removed from his lower eyelid. I removed the collar early on to do something and within seconds he was rubbing the eye so back on and not removed at all for 10 days. He slept, ate his food, walked and went in the car with it on - he even went to my craft groups christmas party with it on LOL

Edited by frufru

I got a cloud collar from petbarn too - but beware, depending on where the stitches are, a flexible dog might still be able to get them with a cloud collar on. My boy could definitely still reach his desexing wound. I'm just lucky he healed really fast, so I mainly just used the cloud collar as a bit of a deterrent. I don't think he was specifically trying to lick his wound, he's just a regular groin licker regardless :)

PS my petbarn had the cloud collar behind the counter, so make sure you ask!

Edited by aliwake

If the dog doesn't lick, don't put it on. I'd only use the collar if it is needed.

I've desexed dozens of dogs and none of them licked their stitches.

Same here. Never needed although sometimes they leave the end piece of the thread used a little bit too long & it can stick in them when they position themselves in certain ways.

I always cut the ends a little shorter so they don't stab. Its quite hard the thread.

The soft collar made no difference to my boy, he still managed to get at the stitches, he had to have the hard collar on the entire time that the stitches were in. He could eat and drink without any issues, I did find that he was a lot hotter with it on, so ended up putting small fan on him on the really hot days (was inside in the air conditioning)

Just stick out the 10 days. If your dog got to its stitches she'll be wearing one a lot longer. My dog got to hers on a leg surgery, and she ended up with a massive infection that meant she had to wear a cone for over 5 months. Your dog will get over it.

Lots of pet supply stores have the Kong Cloud Collar. Call around to find the right size before you bother going out.

As others have said, your dog may still be able to get to the stitches, but I'd still try it first. And I had a good giggle at Darcy (little Westie) wearing his collar. He looked like he was wearing a haemorrhoid cushion XD

My old girl had to wear one for many days because she'd had eye issues and was at risk of her eye basically rupturing if she knocked her head, so for her it was preventative to stop that happening (she could only have it off if she was 100% supervised by me for short periods). Anyway, how do you manage them, well I found pretty much do everything the same! I made sure I had a big water bowl available, also I took it off while she was eating (kept the collar cleaner and she was able to eat easier). But otherwise she just had to deal with life with it on until her eye had healed!

I would just use it, my dog hated it and disnt appear to lick, so we didnt bother, but ended up with an infection, vet says it takes ONE lick and thats it, she has had 7 days of antibiotics and needs another 7 and ended up with the collar on far longer than it should of been !

You can try these as well http://www.provizorinternational.com/australia.html http://www.provizorinternational.com/the-novaguardtrade.html

My girl hated the Elizabethan collar.It was too wide and because the ears were inside the cone, the sound was amplified. With the novaguard, she freely moved around and the extra length mean she could not turn around and lick the wound or remove the stitches.

regards

KK Team