Raw Meaty Bones...yes Or No?

Pinchy

I'm another who feeds the dogs raw bones and have done so for many years. I raised litters of pups with chicken wings and necks and lamb necks. I would put these in the whelping box from about 4 weeks of age and the puppies loved to chew/suck on them.

I think most of the problem with Vets being anti raw comes from their education which is mainly provided by the big dog food companies so guess where the bias is going to be. How do they think dogs survived 50 or so years ago when commercial dog food was not so readily available.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would I do a meaty bone for one meal and then kibble the rest at the moment? I'll need to have a look at the right portion size for his weight and growth.

Personally i think thats a trickier question that the first one.

Some will tell you mixing it up plays havoc on their stomachs, others will say they do it without an issue.

Personally, I've avoided mixing, and since switching to raw as a pup, have fed soley raw and nothing else.

And good on you for staying with the bones. Your dog will love you for it :)

the breeder of my Italian Greyhound puppy feeds raw and started the puppies off very young on bones. She's about 6 weeks old here tackling a chicken carcass. They used to leave alot back then, but it got them used to having a go at large chunks of meat and bone and learning to chew for their dinner, not just slurp it up.

10026931023_92fc2f1e8e_z.jpg

My vet advised us to give Vinnie raw meaty bones to help him start chewing as the person we bought him off had him on softened food.

I haven't gotten any for him yet but I'd never leave him unsupervised with them.

I've never heard of NOT giving them bones. Accidents and choking can happen with anything unfortunately.

Our dogs get raw marrow bones weekly, they adore them. Our vets always comment on their sparkly teeth.

Marrow bones are not the same as Raw Meaty Bones. The latter are the ones that the dogs can actually eat and digest. The marrow bones is what I would call recreational bones.

My vet is fine with me feeding raw. A problem has arisen with one of my dogs having raw meaty bones. The bones are causing constipation and he needed an anaesthetic to flush him out so no more meaty bones.

I've fed my dogs raw for the last 10 years and I now feed them Big Dog BARF.

Not being able to feed bones has resulted in teeth problems with my dogs. They had beautiful clean, white teeth and now after all this time my almost 10yo boy had to have a dental scale and clean and needed two teeth extracted. The 8 1/2yo girl is ok so far. They are having whimzees dental treats now insead of bones.

Can I please ask where do you buy the whimzees dental treats? They sound great :)

Thank you

Our dogs get raw marrow bones weekly, they adore them. Our vets always comment on their sparkly teeth.

Marrow bones are not the same as Raw Meaty Bones. The latter are the ones that the dogs can actually eat and digest. The marrow bones is what I would call recreational bones.

I like that term!

My dog gets a range of RMB, chicken frame, turkey wing and lamb flap are probably the ones he gets and enjoys the most.

The butcher gets him a few little recreational bones to play with, he has fun stripping off whatever is left on but it's not the meal that the RMB are.

I think after finally trying a raw based diet I couldn't go back to biscuits and cans so I select my vets carefully. Even if they aren't pro raw they don't try and convince me to swap.

I like that term!

My dog gets a range of RMB, chicken frame, turkey wing and lamb flap are probably the ones he gets and enjoys the most.

The butcher gets him a few little recreational bones to play with, he has fun stripping off whatever is left on but it's not the meal that the RMB are.

I think after finally trying a raw based diet I couldn't go back to biscuits and cans so I select my vets carefully. Even if they aren't pro raw they don't try and convince me to swap.

My dogs have all been transitioned over to raw from the time they came to live with me as baby puppies. I don't have any commercial pet food here and I hope the dogs appreciate me for that. I go to a holistic vet so I'm lucky all round.

My 2 guys get a meaty bone or a chicken carcass daily. Touch wood, we have never had a problem. I was told by their breeder that as long as you don't feed weight baring bones ie leg/shank bones & they are supervised whilst eating that its fine. My Vets always commented on how wonderfully healthy their teeth are.

Exactly, it's just about feeding them appropriate bones.

I think sometimes the vets advise against them because they see the problems caused when dogs are fed inappropriate bones such as chop bones.

I grabbed a couple of chicken frames today while I was out so I'm going to cut one up and give it to him tonight. I didn't see any lamb flaps but I didn't go to a butcher to have a good look.

We have a bulk wholesale butcher near us actually that I can check out on the weekend who I'm sure will be able to help me out:)

I guess I'll cut the frame into quarters and hold it so I can get a feel for how he chews it.

I'll talk to the vet again when we go for his vacs and see how they respond to the news;)

I can see where the vets are coming from with the obstruction stories but I like to think that I am a pretty responsible and as educated as I an be.

They would see all kinds of cooked bones and things I guess that would cause problems. That won't be me though:)

[Can I please ask where do you buy the whimzees dental treats? They sound great :)

Thank you

There is a guy on Ebay selling them. He is from Murphy Bros, a well known stock feed store in Melb.

They are toothbrush shaped dental treats.

Just type in Whimsees dental treats in the seach bar.

I grabbed a couple of chicken frames today while I was out so I'm going to cut one up and give it to him tonight. I didn't see any lamb flaps but I didn't go to a butcher to have a good look.

We have a bulk wholesale butcher near us actually that I can check out on the weekend who I'm sure will be able to help me out:)

I guess I'll cut the frame into quarters and hold it so I can get a feel for how he chews it.

I'll talk to the vet again when we go for his vacs and see how they respond to the news;)

You dont need to make it too small. I give my big boys (whippets( half each. They could easily eat a whole carcass but they'd get too fat.

I can't add anything to the great advice here - except to say keep it simple! I feed very similar to Krislin - the dry 'Doggy Maccas' is treat food or back- up only when I've forgotten to defrost their raw.

Chicken necks, frames, wings, turkey necks, bones, raw meat mix from Adelaide Dog, rice, pumpkin, meat on special, canned mackerel from Woolies as a back-up, mixed veg - all on the menu here - and my guys do cartwheels for it in a way they never do for dry. And it's wonderful to see them wrestling with bones and frames in a way that dogs should IMO. Even my 14 year old Mac who has few teeth left adores wrestling and mouthing on anything raw - and it's wonderful to watch the old boy! smile.gif

So keep it simple, use the freezer, shop for them when you shop for you, buy in bulk and on special and human grade and save a heap!!! thumbsup1.gif

Thank you so much guys I feel way better about this now than the other day! I cut the frames in thirds roughly. Mostly because this will be his first 'meal' and I was stressing that he might get an upset stomach.

I think he will enjoy it so much! I've spent a bit of time reading raw websites and I think it seems fairly straight forward. The supplement thing is a little over my head right now but I'll keep digesting information as I go.

[Can I please ask where do you buy the whimzees dental treats? They sound great :)

Thank you

There is a guy on Ebay selling them. He is from Murphy Bros, a well known stock feed store in Melb.

They are toothbrush shaped dental treats.

Just type in Whimsees dental treats in the seach bar.

thank you :) I am of the old school and dont like ordering stuff over the net. The times that I have, I wasn't too wrapt with the items.

I've been feeding my dogs bones for years since my oldest (11 years) was a puppy.

In that time I've only even had 2 incidents and it was with the same cut of bone, so they aren't getting those anymore. One got a big chunk lodged deep in her throat so she required emergency surgery to remove it, and the other only happened the other night and he got a big bit stuck in his teeth but that was easily removed.

They are mostly supervised, in that I will check on them while they are eating and when finished to make sure all is OK so both the above incidences where discovered straight away but I don't hover over them even now.

Hasn't put me off feeding bones but it's something to remember (and I admit I was a little "meh" about the risk) that even experienced dogs can have issues with bones.