Got A Nasty Scare Last Night

kelpiecuddles

Josie scared the hell out of me last night, getting a belly full of air after her dinner and starting to look very uncomfortable, I was able to put her paws up on the couch and burped her which settled things thankfully but I was very close to getting the kids up and going to the vet(a good 30 minute drive so I needed to try to help her at home incase there was a real issue happening). But it did make me realise that I need to be more careful with her given her breed and age. I didn't get much sleep because I stayed up to keep an eye on her and make sure it didn't get any worse and she's coming to work with me today where the vet is a five minute drive away so I can keep an eye on her.

In my googling last night while sitting up watching her I found a reference to having a product like Gas-X available to give in situations like we had last night where there is gas but it hasn't progressed further or to try and slow the progress. Does anyone keep this in their cupboard and if so what is the dose rate for emergencies? Also is there anywhere that one can go to learn to tube a dog? I used to work as a vet nurse for a little while and I frequently crop feed small and large birds(including an emu) so sticking a tube down something's throat doesn't freak me out but I'd like to ensure I do it right if the need arises!

Any other good first aid kit additions appreciated, not sure I could do a needle through the side.

I've also decided that from now on it will be two smaller meals per day, she's always hadan evening meal in the past but I don't want to risk going through last night again.

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I just worry about doing it incorrectly given I've never seen it done before. I did look at diagrams last night but I suppose if things are that dire you aren't likely to make the situation any worse than it already is if you follow the instructions properly.

What about her next meal? I'm thinking I'll give her nothing this morning and then a small meal tonight and follow up with the twice daily meals after that.

Where do a get a needle from and what size? I can't see the vet being forthcoming with a needle if they realise what it's for!

Edited by kelpiecuddles

I just worry about doing it incorrectly given I've never seen it done before. I did look at diagrams last night but I suppose if things are that dire you aren't likely to make the situation any worse than it already is if you follow the instructions properly.

What about her next meal? I'm thinking I'll give her nothing this morning and then a small meal tonight and follow up with the twice daily meals after that.

Where do a get a needle from and what size? I can't see the vet being forthcoming with a needle if they realise what it's for!

dont farmers do that to sheep, or is that only in the movies. If they really do, I wonder if farm supply stores might sell them.

Maybe, I can talk to my local supply store they are pretty good about my weird requests.

Think I just found the culprit though, just sent the girls out and Josie went to the toilet and out came about 3/4 of a box of bird seed! :eek: The silly bugger's nicked the budgie seed and eaten what was left of it and nearly done herself in with it. She's looking a lot happier now.

Kind of nice to know there was a reason other than her regular meal that probably caused the drama.

dont farmers do that to sheep, or is that only in the movies. If they really do, I wonder if farm supply stores might sell them.

sheep and cows. You can buy needles online.

My naughty whippets will eat the chook food every chance they get. Fortunately because I only have one chook I dont have alot of food out and now I try to place it up high, out of reach of the whippets, when I let the chook out to forage in the garden.

I'm glad to hear that Josie is okay :)

My Pug once ripped open a 5kg bag of Vet's All Natural pet muesli (I can't remember what it's called). God knows how much he ate. I phoned the vet and she said to make sure he drank lots of water. His stomach was enormous and he was very gassy but that was the worst of it.

Thanks guys, she was very upset at one point which was when I was thinking we were up for a vet visit and I actually had to get her up on her back legs and burp her like a baby, thankfully that seemed to settle it as we got rid of the worst of the gas then! Had she not settled any further then it would have been straight to the vet because it was getting worse by the minute until then, she was pacing, wouldn't lie down and was whimpering, something I've never heard her do before :( .

When I was at the chemist today I bought a packet of de-gas to put in the cupboard which was mentioned as a first aid for home option to hold off bloat and buy a bit of time.

Yes farm stores generally sell syringes and needles, especially if they keep horse and/or greyhound stuff..

I would consult with a vet but I imagine the kind of needle you use to give horses penicillin would be a good size.

Edited by BlackJaq

My fabulous husband actually found that little pearl of wisdom on a page about management of bloat, he was reading the page out to me while I had her paws on the couch burping her. :o After she settled I told her to hop on her bed and she jumped up on the couch that I had been burping her on, something she's never done before and when I told her to get off she turned her back to me and pretended she didn't hear. Figured she was feeling better since she was up to the typical basset 'sorry I don't understand what you mean' front. :laugh:

I fully recommend the burping method of anyone ever gets in a possible bloat situation and is trying to settle a belly full of gas before things progress to be really serious. The authors of the page I was reading recommend having one person hold a large dog up on their back legs while the other pats and rubs them from their belly up over their chest, if you only have one person then put the dogs front paws up on a couch or similar while you do it. Within 30 seconds of me doing this Josie belched loudly 2 or 3 times and felt obviously better. they recommend keeping on going until the dog is no longer burping, letting them down to rest their hind legs if needed. De-gas can also be used as off-label medcation(it's a human medication for bloating)

Obviously this isn't a treatment for full-blown bloat and a vet is the best option then but might help if you are a long way from a vet like we are or if it's only at the very severe gas sort of stage.

Edited by kelpiecuddles