Slow Feeders

apocalypsepwnie

I got Vinnie an AFP slow feeder bowl.

I've noticed he really throws his food down, I know he's a puppy, but even when he's just eaten and finds the cat bowl he'll inhale that too.

I've worried about bloat and choking.

These are meant to help, has anyone had success? I also read that in brachycephalic types bloat is more common because they naturally gulp more air when eating.

You can buy slow feed bowls, put largish rocks in his bowl so he has to move them around to eat the kibble or throw the kibble across the lawn or in a room so the dog has to eat each kibble separately rather than inhaling. You could try the throw method indoors by only sprinkling a little bit of kibble down at a time which will slow him down further as you control how much kibble he has access to at a time.

The best way is to use dinner time as training time. That way you get to feed one kibble at a time, the dog has to use it's brain and you end up with a clever, well trained dog.

eta: I have been rescueing Shar Pei which are a braccy breed and I have yet to lose one to bloat. Choking and vomiting have occured when they inhale kibble and I don't feed pigs ears anymore as I got sick of shoving my hand down their throats to retrieve them when they got stuck.

Edited by Ams

We use dog puzzles as feeders - even though he knows them inside out now, there are still so many compartments to open and close, that it slows feeding down a lot. We have an aikiou one and a kyjen one. Both are good because they're made out of nice hard plastic.

Guest hankodie

I used a Kong wobbler toy for my pup when he was younger. It only dispenses small amounts of kibble at a time which slows down the eating process. The mental stimulation was a plus as well. Kong Wobbler

Stan has a scoff stopper bowl as he just inhales his food, I too worry about bloat with my greyhounds, it works well it's slowed him down a lot.

If Stan had to work out a puzzle to get his dinner he would just go and eat Maddie's.

The AFP bowls are fine and if you are worried do smaller regular feeds especially on hot days when water intake is higher

Treat balls with kibble in it for meals times are good too to make him work for his food

In these hot days I have been giving my scoffer his food in big frozen blocks such as frozen 1kg roo mince etc so he has to gnaw on it

Edited by casowner

We have a kong and will use a bigger one for meals and freeze it when he's older. The puppy size is too tiny for lickables :(

I have a scoff stopper bowl to start with and will use the puzzle bowls if I can find one for less than $30 postage :dropjaw:

I have seen the kong wobbler, might get him one too.

When he's in the yard full time I'll throw kibble amoungst the grass as the base is quite spongey heh so he'll have to search for meals.

We currently use dinner kibble as training time treats. He pays heaps more attention and learns quicker. We've started making him sit for dinner and as the bowl comes down each time he gets back up he has to sit again before it gets lower. Trying to make him learn 'wait' eventually.

I use a bob-a-a lot. I used to use a gorilla dude - but it and the wobbler have holes that are too big to hold the kibble I use now. Bob-a-lot lets you adjust the size. Sometimes my dog adjusts the aperture size too or closes it (much frustrated barking).

She could destroy the bobalot but so far - has not. If she starts chewing on it - I take it away. That seems to get the message through.

I have a scoff stopper bowl to start with and will use the puzzle bowls if I can find one for less than $30 postage :dropjaw:

I got my kyjen one just a couple of weeks ago from pets providore - their shipping is flat rate $10 I think, and the kyjen puzzles were all on special...

Edited by aliwake

We use a variety of slow feeders here. Ours are usually fed bones but do have a few meals out of bowls each week.

ecfp.jpg

Out of 11 dogs:

- 6 use slow feeders

-1 has his smooshed down with yoghurt normally but has a slow feeder for travelling when there is no yoghurt to lick off individual food particles

- 1 should have one but the smallest size is too small and the next size up is too big

- 3 are perfectly fine with regular bowls.

We have 3 different types of slow feed bowl depending on the individual dog. Some have narrow muzzles so need a bowl with smaller gaps, some like to eat their bowl so have hardier made ones, and there are some with $3 cheap shop bowls. Border Collies are not prone to bloating but why take the risk when there is a tool so simple that will slow them down. As puppies they are fed using kongs etc but that isn't always practical with multiple adult dogs as their meals just wont fit in a kong and it would take us forever at dinner time!

It doubled the time it usually takes. When I start raw and mincing I'll be smooshing it in there. That will take even longer.

I've also got one of those fancy schmancy timed feeders. Purely while he has 3 meals a day and we're at work so he doesn't scoff breakfast and lunch within half an hour bahhaa.

We tried using slow down bowls and Kongs, but the Dobe ate them eek1.gif Usually when I was in the other room with the other dog. So, now we just spread his food all over the store room floor and he has to find his food. We also have to hide the water while they're eating or else he'll drink and drink and drink. I swear that he WANTS to give himself bloat.

I mixed his meat roll with some yogurt this morning.

I put the kibble at the bottom and then mashed the wet mix on top. Bahaha he was so perplexed at having to lick it out. Tail was wagging like a mofo though.

He loves his new puzzle ball and uses his paws and mouth to get the bits out. Clever pup.